Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,680,478 times

Advertisements

Still about half and half.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:06 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,357,792 times
From yesterday:

Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
rest of the trip to the Whites, first day is here. This weekend must have been one of the more crowded weekends of the year, except for maybe three-day weekends. Great, sunny weather, warm with low humidity (dew points in the 50s) together with peak foliage. Lowest elevations reached around 86°F /30°C both days of the weekend.

took the same photo twice in the summer. Hottest of the three times I visited, especially for above treeline.

Spoiler

In late August:

early July:

Bright foliage:

Would be more colorful if there weren't so many conifers:

A bit more than halfway up:

almost there after some rock slabs:

Looking at the top of the headwall, steep at the end. Felt hot on the rocks, it faces south and it was midday (mid 70s? maybe less, the steep climb made it feel hotter). I went through about 3L of water without having to pee that day:

On the ridge, some nice colors:

looking down:

from the summit of Mt. Adams. Trail I took going up the headwall goes up the slope to the right of that little lake and ends right by the lake. Then, to get up Mt. Adams I went up the ridge. It didn't really open up much until near the top of the headwall which was rather disappointing. Near the top of Mt. Adams there was a refreshing breeze, barely any wind when I first got above treeline. Had someone set the White Mountains weather to California? Mt. Washington was 60°F and sunny, climbed it a month ago it was 42°F and fogged over. Summit photo.

same view a bit over a month ago:

Spoiler

Back down some, and looking at Mt. Washington:

thru the rocks:

Mt. Washington from another angle

Descending into the Great Gulf

Can't decide if this is the better version:

Spoiler

in the bottom of the Great Gulf:

same view in August, taken late morning rather than in the evening:

Spoiler

Note how more water there was. The same river crossing I had to take my shoes and socks off for me was easy to cross this time.

Note it's kinda dark. I kept thinking of sunset was at 7 pm, so I could hike without it getting too dark until at least 7:20. Nope. Sunset was around 6:30. Going by sunset times from a week or two doesn't work anymore.

Next day, an area of the Whites I hadn't visited, maybe many years ago but don't remember it well. Lower mountains, but felt very remote. Valley had no road in it. Cooler (low elevation highs were in the high 60s rather than low 80s unlike the previous two days and cloudy)

On a talus slope

Already had a frost here. In the valleys, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if the slopes (3000 feet ish) escaped frosts, check here how they had the warmest morning temperatures last Sunday (the clear day photos on this post). You can see some of these ferns got frost damaged while others are fine. Some local ferns have turned yellow from dryness but not brown.

Birches:

no colorful foliage up here:

There is once you can look out:

leaves

back down (2500 feet) with good foliage:

waterfall

clouds have gotten darker as the day progressed. Worried it rain. Lingered a bit less at the viewpoint, as it felt cool and breezy, making me think bad weather was coming in. And the higher elevations will get it worse. Didn't rain.

same view, two different exposures and zoom setting:

Again can't decide which I like better. The other one:

Spoiler

Last edited by nei; 10-04-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,680,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
rest of the trip to the Whites, first day is here

took the same photo twice in the summer. Hottest of the three times I visited, especially for above treeline.

Spoiler

In late August:

early July:

Bright foliage:

Would be more colorful if there weren't so many conifers:

A bit more than halfway up:

almost there after some rock slabs:

Looking at the top of the headwall, steep at the end. Felt hot on the rocks, it faces south and it was midday (mid 70s? maybe less, the steep climb made it feel hotter). I went through about 3L of water without having to pee that day:

On the ridge, some nice colors:

looking down:

from the summit of Mt. Adams. Trail came up the headwall I went goes on the slope to the right of that little lake and then up. It didn't really open up much until the very end which was rather disappointing. Near the top of Mt. Adams there was a refreshing breeze, barely anything when I first got above treeline. Had someone set the White Mountains to California. Mt. Washington was 60°F and sunny, climbed it a month ago it was 42°F and fogged over. Summit photo.

same view a bit over a month ago:

Back down some, and looking at Mt. Washington:

thru the rocks:

Mt. Washington from another angle

Descending into the Great Gulf

Can't decide if this is the better version:

in the bottom of the Great Gulf:

same view in August, taken late morning rather than in the evening:

Note how more water there was. The same river crossing I had to take my shoes and socks off for me was easy to cross this time.

Note it's kinda dark. I kept thinking of sunset was at 7 pm, so I could hike without it getting too dark until at least 7:20. Nope. Sunset was around 6:30. Going by sunset times from a week or two doesn't work anymore.

Next day, an area of the Whites I hadn't visited, maybe many years ago but don't remember it well. Lower mountains, but felt very remote. Valley had no road in it. Cooler (low elevation highs were in the high 60s rather than low 80s unlike the previous two days and cloudy)

On a talus slope

Already had a frost here. In the valleys, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if the slopes (3000 feet ish) escaped frosts, check here how they had the warmest morning temperatures last Sunday (the clear day photos on this post). You can see some of these ferns got frost damaged while others are fine. Some local ferns have turned yellow from dryness but not brown.

Birches:

no colorful foliage up here:

There is once you can look out:

leaves

back down (2500 feet) with good foliage:

waterfall

clouds have gotten darker as the day progressed. Worried it rain. Lingered a bit less at the viewpoint, as it felt cool and breezy, making me think bad weather was coming in. And the higher elevations will get it worse. Didn't rain.

same view, two different exposures and zoom setting:

Again can't decide which I like better. The other one:
Nice! Where were the pics taken?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,615,711 times
Lake effect rain showers, mid 40s F, and early/medium color in Michigan today:

Old 10-04-2014, 03:08 PM

29,569 posts, read 19,677,898 times
^^

Wow beautiful fall colors in the Northeast and in Michigan!

Nothing like that in Miami where my wife took this shot yesterday evening

Old 10-04-2014, 03:53 PM

341 posts, read 342,106 times
Łagiewniki Town forest of ŁÃ³dź, Poland (today). City looks more colorfull but I guess that's normal

Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,745,744 times
Stunning fall colors in the White mountains. Where exactly is located the remote valley nei?

Pics from high Provence (southern French Alps), at exactly the same latitude. Didn't know what to expect color-wise, but apparently it's too early at every altitude, even at the upper end of the forest, 2000-2500 m asl.

This is an artificial lake. Guess water is at its maximum in spring and at its minimum in early autumn, as one can see it on the second photo:

This is above 7,000 ft and larches are only beginning to turn. I thought there would be more orange ones.

Intestine river

This one is natural, but the water is still pretty low:

They have strange cairns there, this one has a raspberry on top:

This one is early for some reason. The place must be stunning in mid-October.

Trees are more advanced at the bottom of the valley, probably because of cold air pooling.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:04 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,615,711 times
Wonderful pics, Rozenn. I see some hints of color there, but the scenery is dramatic regardless.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,955,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Stunning fall colors in the White mountains. Where exactly is located the remote valley nei?

Pics from high Provence (southern French Alps), at exactly the same latitude. Didn't know what to expect color-wise, but apparently it's too early at every altitude, even at the upper end of the forest, 2000-2500 m asl.

This is an artificial lake. Guess water is at its maximum in spring and at its minimum in early autumn, as one can see it on the second photo:

This is above 7,000 ft and larches are only beginning to turn. I thought there would be more orange ones.

Intestine river

This one is natural, but the water is still pretty low:

They have strange cairns there, this one has a raspberry on top:

This one is early for some reason. The place must be stunning in mid-October.

Trees are more advanced at the bottom of the valley, probably because of cold air pooling.

Jeez that part of France looks so nice! I love the craggy peaks. The natural lake looks like a great place to spend a summer afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather