Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: rate it
A 0 0%
B 6 28.57%
C 4 19.05%
D 3 14.29%
E 7 33.33%
F 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Seriously though, I can understand the % would be higher. But how can one say that the 1581 hours figure on mount Cook is sunnier than the 1919 figure in Portsmouth?
Because it is. It just get more shadow. Go a kliometre north, and you'll get a climate sunnier than anywhere in the UK. How much sunnier does Portsmouth get 1 km out of town?

Regarding the rest of your reply. It's good that Portsmouth gets a sunny summer (would be my pick for the UK), but as people from the UK have said to me often -summer is just different here, not really comparable, other than places south of Christchurch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 01:17 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
not really comparable, other than places south of Christchurch.
My friends lived in Christchurch for a few years and they said summers aren't particularly different other than cooler nights. Though the rest of the year is a hell of a lot better. Cause people would say summers aren't comparable in Nelson because it's summers are much sunnier (in %) than any other city in Britain (on average).
But none the less, I get what you mean... If you go a few miles inland from Portsmouth the sunshine hours tend to lower to like (Havant) below 1900 - 1750, London is a rather duller 1550 overall (Though London is big and varies per suburb), further north Cardiff, 1550 Birmingham 1400, York 1550 (respectable considering it's location), Belfast 1400, Glasgow 1250, Inverness 1200 and Lerwick 1100 (I believe the dullest place in the UK!)! LOL
Though Portsmouth may have some of the most decent summers in the UK, it isn't the sunniest annually in the British isles.
Most sunniest on mainland: Bognor Regis
Most sunniest place run by Westminster: Shanklin
Most sunniest UK Islands, in the British isles: Somewhere in Jersey
Most sunniest UK Colony: Probably Gibraltar (LOL)

Last edited by Jas182; 09-20-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
My friends lived in Christchurch for a few years and they said summers aren't particularly different other than cooler nights. Though the rest of the year is a hell of a lot better. Cause people would say summers aren't comparable in Nelson because it's summers are much sunnier (in %) than any other city in Britain (on average).
But none the less, I get what you mean... If you go a few miles inland from Portsmouth the sunshine hours tend to lower to like (Havant) below 1900 - 1750, London is a rather duller 1550 overall (Though London is big and varies per suburb), further north Cardiff, 1550 Birmingham 1400, York 1550 (respectable considering it's location), Belfast 1400, Glasgow 1250, Inverness 1200 and Lerwick 1100 (I believe the dullest place in the UK!)! LOL
Though Portsmouth may have some of the most decent summers in the UK, it isn't the sunniest annually in the British isles.
Most sunniest on mainland: Bognor Regis
Most sunniest place run by Westminster: Shanklin
Most sunniest UK Islands, in the British isles: Somewhere in Jersey
Most sunniest UK Colony: Probably Gibraltar (LOL)
Cite Met proof of the 1919 average - I don't trust Wiki. Bognor wasn't even that high for 1971-2000, though passed it for the 1981-2010 means.

Just checked: 1981-2010 has Bognor 1921, Shanklin 1923. I don't trust that Portsmouth number yet.

In % terms Nelson is far sunnier than anywhere in the UK, any month of the year. Mean is about 2475 hours annually.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I give it a B but would like to know how much snow the village gets. Temps are very nice but it does get a lot of rain.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:03 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Cite Met proof of the 1919 average - I don't trust Wiki. Bognor wasn't even that high for 1971-2000, though passed it for the 1981-2010 means.

Just checked: 1981-2010 has Bognor 1921, Shanklin 1923. I don't trust that Portsmouth number yet.
The Southsea, Portsmouth figures are from an old station that has now been closed down. Most likely for money reasons. But the figures are valid between 1976-2005. The problem is that the Met Office doesn't allow all it's information out for free as it's still a business! Currently Portsmouth has no weather station, witch is a bit stupid if you ask me. But those are previous figures from the Met Office.
Some might say that's not good enough evidence, but I have no reason to disbelieve those figures as most of the West Sussex coast line and the south and western coast of the Isle of Wight all record similar sunshine hours.

Anyway, we're going off track from the thread question, no thanks to me tbh... People should probably focus on the Q.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Christchurch is the start of the cold east coast climates. A lot more uncertainty with the weather, and warm weather often comes with a sting in it's tail.

People from the UK don't say that here is different because summers are sunnier, but that summer is a different season, being warmer for longer and with a stronger sun, different rainfall patterns etc. A common comment is that there is more comfortable weather for a outdoors lifestyle over a much longer period.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM

While responding to another thread, it occurred to me that Mt Cook village would see close to 4.5 metres of rain, and close to 2300 hours of sunshine.

That a pretty high combination. Anyone know where the sunniest place is, with similar rainfall?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:29 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
While responding to another thread, it occurred to me that Mt Cook village would see close to 4.5 metres of rain, and close to 2300 hours of sunshine.

That a pretty high combination. Anyone know where the sunniest place is, with similar rainfall?
Conakry, Guinea comes pretty close

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conakry#Climate

Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Conakry, Guinea comes pretty close

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conakry#Climate
Thanks -very interesting. Would love to experience an August there.

Interesting to see the results from taking two aspects of a climate ( eg:sun hours/rainfall), and looking for the closest match. Some odd groupings for sure.

Could anywhere be higher than Mt Cook's combo?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 AM

287 posts, read 448,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Precipitation numbers seem higher than similar elevation locations in the Pacific Northwest, even counting the PNW dry summers. The mountain itself may get enormous amounts of snow, higher than the claimed record snow at Mt. Baker.
It surely gets more snow than Mt Baker. The latter's record is not that high actually and is surpassed by plenty of locations around the world; plus, the west side of Mount Cook is likely one of the snowiest areas on Earth, although only at higher elevations due to milder temps than other equally snowy areas (es. the Chugach Mts in Alaska).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather