Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your experience with bith dry and humid heat, what do you prefer?
Humid 18 34.62%
Dry 34 65.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,378,714 times

Advertisements

An "average" Miami summer day, say 90 F with a 75 F DP (RH in the low 60s) would never feel as hot as 112 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:06 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,300,865 times
We currently have dew points within the 17-19c range, and in the evening, when the temperature cools down a bit, say, below 25c, I start feeling uncomfortable because I sweat super fast and the water remains on my skin instead of evaporating like it would in a higher temperature. I don't know if it feels hotter but it definitely feels less comfortable for me. I've already been in dry 39c in southern Italy, and it was definitely super hot and the sun was beating on my head, but at least this was some kind of heat I could understand and withstand.

Last night I joined some friends by bike and we stayed out for the evening, and it took almost two hours for the skin on my back to be dry again, even if it was warm and it should have dryed pretty fast. Note that I was just sitting on a chair, not doing any physical activity... The sweat remained on me.

Also, being covered in water and wet clothes, I start feeling pretty chilly once the temperature reaches 20c and yet the dewpoint is still around 18c. I can't help sweating and yet I start shivering whereas it is mild.

I don't find this nice at all, and the air feels heavy when saturated with water.

I guess I would hate Miami or the american south, but I understand someone accustomed to these climates would not feel fine in super dry air. I have never felt anything described by people who complain about it, I guess my body is better suited to live in moderately humid to dry climates.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
I prefer a dry heat, but I'd prefer a humid 90 than a dry 112. That's just dangerous.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,464,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Also, being covered in water and wet clothes, I start feeling pretty chilly once the temperature reaches 20c and yet the dewpoint is still around 18c. I can't help sweating and yet I start shivering whereas it is mild.
It's all in your mind, remember?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,936,225 times
I just moved to Las Vegas from Eastern Pennsylvania and there is a major difference between the dry heat and the high humidity levels back east.

I was just out for a walk on my lunch break at work and I wear a dress shirt and a tie... it's currently 105°F outside and although you "bake" in the sun... I noticed I don't sweat a bit. Whereas if I were back home it could be 80°F but have nearly 100% humidity and it's instant sweat and grossness as soon as you walk out the door.

Now don't get me wrong... it's dam hot in this sun, and quite dangerous if you don't take proper precautions if you're outside for a long time... and if there's a breeze which you get plenty of here in Vegas it makes it WORSE. Plus... when surrounded by concrete you feel the radiation bounce off the ground and makes it feel that much hotter.

So it's all a matter of preference of course.... and I still have to experience an entire summer here before giving my full opinion... but so far I'm better with the 100°+ dry heat than the awful humidity. It's supposed to be 110+ this weekend so my thoughts may change rather fast... LOL!!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,300,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It's all in your mind, remember?
ha ha

water is real though... all of this would not be a problem if I didn't sweat as much, but maybe within a few years my body will get used to it, who knows.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
An "average" Miami summer day, say 90 F with a 75 F DP (RH in the low 60s) would never feel as hot as 112 F.
I know, my place is like that in average, 112F is accuweather realfeel

Old 06-17-2015, 09:52 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,378,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
I know, my place is like that in average, 112F is accuweather realfeel
Accuweather realfeel reminds me of the Canadian Humidex......full of crap.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,662,473 times
Agreed, wunderground realfeel is more accurate i think wunderground use american heat index

Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,068,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlyftafullest View Post
LOLLL hahaahahahahah thats funny people who think that 90 in miami feels warmer than even 105 in phoenix clearly have not been to phoenix. But as for what i preffer id take a lil humidity cuz when its super dry its quite unbearable for the eyes and and even the nasal passage. Thats why id take august in phoenix over June because the monsoonal moisture helps a little bit on that. And i have been to pleanty humid places...Miami, Chennai, Wash DC, to name a few
chennai is the only one that could compare to phoenix in terms of how hot one feels. ALSO Mecca is not a dry heat!!! It gets quite humid there with dew points in the mid 70s!
If humidity doesn't make a difference, why are steam rooms sometimes 90 degrees lower than saunas yet feel as hot? A sauna can be 180 with no humidity and feel just as hot as a 90 degree steam room with full humidity. Why do people act like humidity doesn't make a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather