Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick
Houston 19 45.24%
Seville 23 54.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Seville for being drier, sunnier and less chance of extreme cold.
To be fair, 0C is not extreme cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Interesting, I didn't know that Houston and Seville's weather were so similar

Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
To be fair, 0C is not extreme cold
I meant as in the record lows, Seville tends to stay milder than Houston in winter and is less prone to extreme cold

Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that Houston and Seville's weather were so similar
That's one of the reasons I picked this climate battle Although they are not identical, most of the averages are very similar. Rainfall, humidity and sunshine hours are the parameters that differ a lot.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 AM

29,507 posts, read 19,608,209 times
Quote:
I meant as in the record lows, Seville tends to stay milder than Houston in winter and is less prone to extreme cold
Houston has higher averages than Seville in the winter, but yes Houston is more prone to extreme cold shots though they also have higher record max temps than Seville during the winter months. Houston has higher maximum temperature records in 7 of the 12 months. Remember, it's harder for moisture laden air to reach extreme temp, which is why Seville has higher records during the summer months being a much drier climate.

Anyway I enjoy hot muggy summers and plenty of thunderstorm activity so my vote would be for Houston.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Houston has higher averages than Seville in the winter, but yes Houston is more prone to extreme cold shots though they also have higher record max temps than Seville during the winter months. Houston has higher maximum temperature records in 7 of the 12 months. Remember, it's harder for moisture laden air to reach extreme temp, which is why Seville has higher records during the summer months being a much drier climate.

Anyway I enjoy hot muggy summers and plenty of thunderstorm activity so my vote would be for Houston.
Both climates are too hot in summer for me, I would find 34C with humidity a bit too much (a humid 30C is fine though) and 36C dry heat would also be a bit uncomfortable with the added spikes up to 40C every now and then.

Both have pretty nice winters for my liking though and are pleasant outside of the 3 summer months.

In fact, after looking more closely, I would choose Seville from April-October and Houston from November-March for the chance of some real winter heat, as Seville has a pretty low standard deviation in winter.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Both climates are too hot in summer for me, I would find 34C with humidity a bit too much (a humid 30C is fine though) and 36C dry heat would also be a bit uncomfortable with the added spikes up to 40C every now and then.

Both have pretty nice winters for my liking though and are pleasant outside of the 3 summer months.
There is a 7 degree latitude difference between the two.... So I am pretty impressed with Seville's averages (though I like my winters cold ). Is that city considered the hottest city in Europe?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
There is a 7 degree latitude difference between the two.... So I am pretty impressed with Seville's averages (though I like my winters cold ). Is that city considered the hottest city in Europe?
Seville is regarded as being the 'furnace' of Europe as it is practically an extension of the Sahara during summer.

Nicosia probably feels worse though (36.9C/23.5C) (98.4F/74.3F) in July with humidity as it is on a small island. I doubt many people in Europe know it gets that hot there though. I didn't realise Cyprus averaged summers so hot before I joined this forum.

Seeing as both winters are mild, I would probably go for Houston in winter though for the chance of more exciting weather and even some heat.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Seville is regarded as being the 'furnace' of Europe as it is practically an extension of the Sahara during summer.

Nicosia probably feels worse though (36.9C/23.5C) (98.4F/74.3F) in July with humidity as it is on a small island. I doubt many people in Europe know it gets that hot there though. I didn't realise Cyprus averaged summers so hot before I joined this forum.

Seeing as both winters are mild, I would probably go for Houston in winter though for the chance of more exciting weather and even some heat.
I've been to Nicosia in July of 2001. Was VERY hot.... Though geographically Cyprus isn't really part of Europe. It's Asia.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,849 times
Quote:
It is considered to be the hottest city in summer in Europe . If you exclude Cyprus, other hot places include Córdoba, Spain
Slightly higher maximum highs in July and August than Seville:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather