Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times

Advertisements

I believe there will be snow piles on the sides of sidewalks though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 01:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But that is the same in any city where it snows. The fact it remains in central park tells you that the snow does lay on the ground in NYC, if the cars & people were not there then the streets would be covered too...
This is quite true. In cities that are considerably snowier than NYC (Toronto and even Montreal sometimes) there can be little to no snow visible on the streets in the denser parts of downtown in mid-winter.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But that is the same in any city where it snows. The fact it remains in central park tells you that the snow does lay on the ground in NYC, if the cars & people were not there then the streets would be covered too...
I don't really get your point. New York's winters are not cold enough to sustain a long-lasting snow pack. Go to Central Park or Times Square and most days in winter dint have snow.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Looks like Central Park averages 25 days between Dec 1st and March 31st with 1" or more of snow on the ground. 3 of those days are in March.

So, roughly 24% of winter days (Dec - Feb) are snow covered with 1" or more. Majority of winters days do not have snow cover in Central Park. This is using data from 1900 to 2015.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Yes, if your idea of winter is consistent snowcover New York City will disappoint. It does get some rather large snowstorms, sometimes a few times a winter. So if this what you look for in a winter, New York City often isn't bad.

Didn't realize NYC got 18.6 inches of snow last March.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:21 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Looks like Central Park averages 25 days between Dec 1st and March 31st with 1" or more of snow on the ground. 3 of those days are in March.

So, roughly 24% of winter days (Dec - Feb) are snow covered with 1" or more. Majority of winters days do not have snow cover in Central Park. This is using data from 1900 to 2015.
Our definition of a day with 'snow lying' is >50% of the ground covered with snow, any amount of snow. Heathrow gets about 3 days per year with 'snow lying', Central London usually 0.

Using our definition, I bet NYC gets at least double the number of snow days that it gets using your definitions.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't really get your point. New York's winters are not cold enough to sustain a long-lasting snow pack. Go to Central Park or Times Square and most days in winter dint have snow.
I didn't say they were, I was replying to Owen's post saying that there was no snow visable in Times Square but there was some in central park... It stands to reason that if it has snowed then it it more likely to still have a covering in areas that are not frequented by pedestrians or traffic...

Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It doesn't because the snow is plowed and there are millions of people walking in the streets everyday. It would take a Montreal cold/humidity for a consistent snowpack to remain all winter every winter with so many people living in that place. That said it does look quite snowy to me, but there are mild days and rain in winter too. That's a good balance to me, snow is pretty much guaranteed, but you don't know if it's gonna be mostly december of february, or both. That's a plus to me.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It doesn't because the snow is plowed and there are millions of people walking in the streets everyday. It would take a Montreal cold/humidity for a consistent snowpack to remain all winter every winter with so many people living in that place. That said it does look quite snowy to me, but there are mild days and rain in winter too. That's a good balance to me, snow is pretty much guaranteed, but you don't know if it's gonna be mostly december of february, or both. That's a plus to me.
Even with Montreal cold, in most of Manhattan the snow would be removed quickly. It's trucked away.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:36 AM

Obviously living in Manhattan is not the same thing as living in Poughkeepsie or another remote location which gets snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather