Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times

Advertisements

In my area, it alternates between humid warm and dry cold depending on wind direction/jet stream movement. That is why frosts/freezes can happen numerous times, but snowfall is extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Both. It's usually more humid on the warmer days, and drier on the colder days.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:00 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
No winter here

Coldest (avg high) month = our hemisphere winter though, lowest sun angle season, and humid (wettest months) of course

Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Both. It's usually more humid on the warmer days, and drier on the colder days.
It's like that for us too I think.

Interestingly enough, this area has a reputation in Canada for being very humid in winter and in summer. But I was checking some figures and our average winter humidity level is around 75%. This is from what I can see is lower than in most of western Europe where it's often around 85%. It's also not that much higher than in Calgary, Alberta (70%) which is often vaunted in Canada for having fairly tolerable (though fairly cold) winters in part due to the very low humidity.

Our summers are also supposedly extremely humid pour our average humidity is only around 55% in summer, which doesn't seem that high to me. Although I suppose even 55% does make a difference in how warm it feels when the actual temperature (without counting the humidity) is 30C or more.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM

753 posts, read 838,093 times
Vancouver winters are very humid, with most days featuring thick clouds, frequent rainfall, and relative humidity usually over 80%. The exception is when an arctic front moves in and brings cold, dry air from the north, then we can have up to a week of cloudless weather with very dry air - I've seen relative humidity drop as low as 20% in these cases, impressively low for a place next to the ocean during the rainy season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interestingly enough, this area has a reputation in Canada for being very humid in winter and in summer. But I was checking some figures and our average winter humidity level is around 75%. This is from what I can see is lower than in most of western Europe where it's often around 85%. It's also not that much higher than in Calgary, Alberta (70%) which is often vaunted in Canada for having fairly tolerable (though fairly cold) winters in part due to the very low humidity.
I think this is because of people's misconception of humidity. Your area is relatively cloudy and snowy in winter and so people from the prairies (where it's sunnier and has lower snowfall totals and days), they associate that with "humidity", but in fact when it's below freezing the relative humidity doesn't make that big of a difference anymore because it's pretty dry even when the humidity is "high".

Interestingly enough, Calgary's averages are actually warmer than Ottawa in January, February, and March, and only slightly colder in December (though Calgary's minimum extremes are much lower).

Quote:
Our summers are also supposedly extremely humid pour our average humidity is only around 55% in summer, which doesn't seem that high to me. Although I suppose even 55% does make a difference in how warm it feels when the actual temperature (without counting the humidity) is 30C or more.
Yeah, people out west are used to fairly mild daytime temperatures (with very low humidity in places like Calgary - often only in the 20 or 30 percent range during the day) and cool or chilly nights. So when they come out east and it's in the high 20s or low 30s during the day with 50% or more humidity and relatively warm nights, it feels very hot and humid compared to what they're used to (even though someone from the southeastern US would find it very mild and pleasant).

55% humidity at 30C gives a dew point of 20, which is much higher than you'll usually get in a typical BC or Alberta summer.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:32 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
humid cold here. Sometimes very foggy.

I find it unpleasant, I prefer lower humidity in winter, also because it is usually associated with clearer skies, although we have our fair share of sunny days with very high humidity.

Wind is mostly absent here in the winter (as it is most of the year) and our area is flatlands sheltered by mountains and there is a lot of water around, there are rivers and stillwater. Also, I live near a small lake and there is a small river about 1 km away, i can feel the humidity being stronger here than downtown where there is no river.

That said, this winter has been mostly dry and quite windy (from January onward), but it's also been mild and sunny.

Acajack, I haven't been to Gatineau, but when I lived in Toronto, I thought the air was usually very dry in the winter. The winter was actually more pleasant there (albeit longer) than most winters I have spent here or in France, even if our january averages 2 or 3c and Toronto is quite a bit colder. This was very similar to being in the Alps. It might be very cold, but you can always dress for it. I had the same clothing that I had in Europe. I only bought a beanie because I had forgotten to pack the one I used for skiing.

I think finding a place humid or dry depends on where you're from / what you're used to. In Toronto I had a friend from Constanza, Romania, who complained about the "dryness" or the air and having nose problems. I had no clue what she was talking about because I felt really fine there.

In Lyon (which is much damper and milder) i had another friend who had spent a lot of time in Bordeaux (even milder and more humid) who complained about the same thing in Lyon, she actually had bought a humidifier for her place. Again, i didn't understand.

Conversely, I had another friend from Besançon, France, which is colder and dryer, who complained about feeling colder in Lyon because it was very humid.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:48 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
70% here in the summer months.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
humid cold here. Sometimes very foggy.

I find it unpleasant, I prefer lower humidity in winter, also because it is usually associated with clearer skies, although we have our fair share of sunny days with very high humidity.

Wind is mostly absent here in the winter (as it is most of the year) and our area is flatlands sheltered by mountains and there is a lot of water around, there are rivers and stillwater. Also, I live near a small lake and there is a small river about 1 km away, i can feel the humidity being stronger here than downtown where there is no river.

That said, this winter has been mostly dry and quite windy (from January onward), but it's also been mild and sunny.

Acajack, I haven't been to Gatineau, but when I lived in Toronto, I thought the air was usually very dry in the winter. The winter was actually more pleasant there (albeit longer) than most winters I have spent here or in France, even if our january averages 2 or 3c and Toronto is quite a bit colder. This was very similar to being in the Alps. It might be very cold, but you can always dress for it. I had the same clothing that I had in Europe. I only bought a beanie because I had forgotten to pack the one I used for skiing.

I think finding a place humid or dry depends on where you're from / what you're used to. In Toronto I had a friend from Constanza, Romania, who complained about the "dryness" or the air and having nose problems. I had no clue what she was talking about because I felt really fine there.

In Lyon (which is much damper and milder) i had another friend who had spent a lot of time in Bordeaux (even milder and more humid) who complained about the same thing in Lyon, she actually had bought a humidifier for her place. Again, i didn't understand.

Conversely, I had another friend from Besançon, France, which is colder and dryer, who complained about feeling colder in Lyon because it was very humid.
Actually the same in Greece as in Italy. We have many similarities. :P Bologna is quite snowy for italian standards isn 't it?

Old 05-16-2015, 07:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
It doesn't snow very often but when it does, it can be intense. This winter we had about 35cm in an otherwise dry and mild winter. That's more than most winters I've lived in France.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It doesn't snow very often but when it does, it can be intense. This winter we had about 35cm in an otherwise dry and mild winter. That's more than most winters I've lived in France.
I saw a video of the snowfall in February 2015 in Bologna. It was nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather