Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 AM

192 posts, read 256,572 times

Advertisements

Aside from Terra, of course. I would say it's easily Mars. Though Mercury has both extreme heat and extreme cold, and I would imagine a narrow band of space where the temperature is moderate. Of course, it has no atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,609,595 times
Gliese 581 g, if it exists.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,787 times
Uranus is interesting with its extreme axial tilt. The Arctic and Antarctic cover almost the whole planet, excluding a narrow zone around the equator. Polar day and night last 42 years each. Living near the pole you would see 42 years of constant sunlight with highest sun altitudes reaching near the zenith followed by 42 years of pitch black darkness. Of course at that distance the sun is just another star in the sky, slightly brighter than others. If it ever gets terraformed it's definitely an interesting location to visit.

An exoplanet, I can't remember which one, is tidally locked to its star. The sun will forever remain in a single spot in the sky. Depending on location that can range from eternal zenith to twilight to darkness. The only possibly habitable locations would be near the twilight zone between the boiling sun facing side and the dark frozen outward side. The transition zone will probably constantly experience ultra violent storms due to huge temperature differences so it's no picnic. Another challenge for future terraformers.

Last edited by Hiromant; 10-14-2012 at 05:51 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
Uranus is interesting with its extreme axial tilt. The Arctic and Antarctic cover almost the whole planet, excluding a narrow zone around the equator. Polar day and night last 42 years each. Living near the pole you would see 42 years of constant sunlight with highest sun altitudes reaching near the zenith followed by 42 years of pitch black darkness. Of course at that distance the sun is just another star in the sky, slightly brighter than others. If it ever gets terraformed it's definitely an interesting location to visit.

An exoplanet, I can't remember which one, is tidally locked to its star. The sun will forever remain in a single spot in the sky. Depending on location that can range from eternal zenith to twilight to darkness. The only possibly habitable locations would be near the twilight zone between the boiling sun facing side and the dark frozen outward side. The transition zone will probably constantly experience ultra violent storms due to huge temperature differences so it's no picnic. Another challenge for future terraformers.
That's probably the case for a planet like Gliese 581g, since it's tidally locked to tis star, assuming it exists and it's not a false positive. What I'd really love to see are potential climates o planets orbiting Alpha Centauri A or B. NASA has hardly looked over there yet, don't know why. But, I'm guessing they want to refine their planet hunting techniques before they look at our nearest neighbors.

Looking at the solar system, if Mars had a 99% thicker atmosphere, the temperatures would probably be pretty nice. Same goes for Venus for heat lovers if the atmosphere wasn't 90 times thicker than Earth's. The middle latitudes could have been subtropical in terms of temperature.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,563,381 times
Apparently Venus is a paradise...IF you live in the clouds.

Colonization of Venus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM

777 posts, read 1,063,063 times
For ColdCanadian, I'd say Venus

Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,005,982 times
Very interesting topic.

Inside the solar system, I'd say the surface of Mars is the best. It's really cold there which is a plus compared to some other planets (most of the time it's Antarctic-type cold, nothing that could freeze your skin off; the poisonous atmosphere is the main problem), and it has a landscape reminiscent of Earth's deserts. You also have the radiation coming in, but it isn't that bad. Mars also has the distinction of being the only planet in our system other than Earth where you can hear sounds with your own ears. Seriously, I read in Astronomy Magazine that an astronaut could close his eyes, hold his breath, open his visor, and listen to the sounds for as long as he could hold his breath. There is no other planet in our solar system besides Earth where you can do that and live to tell the tale. The closing eyes bit is due to the pressure differential.

The runner-up is high-altitude Venus. You can pretty much custom-tailor your climate, from perpetually warm to perpetually cool, depending on what altitude you select for your floating balloon colony. The atmosphere there has a lot of sulfuric acid in it, which means that more protection is needed for Venusian colonies and astronauts than Martian ones. Still, the conditions there are remarkably hospitable, especially compared to the surface, which is probably the most hostile place for humans in all of the inner solar system.

Outside of the solar system and in the known universe as a whole, I'd say Gliese 581 d is the most hospitable. If it has a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere, which isn't unlikely given its high mass, then it would be a habitable planet. Even better: the climate there would be on the cold side, which I'd really like. Not much else is known about the planet, though.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,427,463 times
I'd say planet Thiaoouba has the best climate.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,458,910 times
I doubt that even with Earth-like atmosphere and considerable amount of liquid water Mars will be habitable because its magnetic field is too weak to protect us from cosmic rays. Also, I'm not sure if Mars has strong enough gravity to keep atmosphere with high enough pressure for comfortable human living.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,974,985 times
The equator of Mars may not be that bad. It does see temps over 20C in some instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather