Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markleee View Post
Is there proof that living in countries with sunny warm climates like Australia or the lower United States better for your health?
Well, lots of people have traditionally moved to Arizona for health reasons. I can recommend it. Been living here now since April 30, 2015 after 27 years of living in the Pacific Northwest. (Just for a point of reference I was born/raised in the Midwest...also known for 'gloomy weather.)

In the short time I've been in Arizona, I've lost 20 lbs, and many of the health problems I was experiencing when I lived up North have either disappeared or lessened. I feel less depressed with all that wonderful sunshine instead of gloomy weather for weeks on end. This area is very wellness oriented. Lots of spas, yoga, massage therapy places...and I'm taking advantage of all of it

Last edited by DesertFlower61; 06-19-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 09:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Its not, London is a cool city. May not always be warm but is not always gloomy. But depends where you are coming from . I lived in Wellington NZ for 2 years and that was more gloomy in winters with the southerly winds hammering at your windows, also had unpredictable summers down there.
Oh really ... my daughter lived in London from 2002 till recently - and the first things she would always say on getting back here was the welcome sunshine and clarity of skies, by comparison with London. Wellington's winters are far brighter than those of London, which averages about 25% of recordable sunshine DJF - even Bognor only averages about 31%. Even Invercargill, which has NZ's cloudiest winters of the main towns, is several % ahead of that, and other NZ cities further ahead.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:32 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFlower61 View Post
Well, lots of people have traditionally moved to Arizona for health reasons. I can recommend it.

My mother in law has been living in Phoenix for 7 months out of the year since 2005. Her doctor recommended her to leave the Chicago winters, chaotic springs, and humid summers for health reasons. Even now she came back in April, she's been fighting allergies and arthritis, and will be going back before the month is done. Yes, she is better off in 110 degree dry desert heat.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markleee View Post
Is there proof that living in countries with sunny warm climates like Australia or the lower United States better for your health?
Gloom is in the eye of the beholder. Cool humid air, without too much sunlight that could give you sunburn, is close to paradise, if you like that kind of weather.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 30,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFlower61 View Post
Well, lots of people have traditionally moved to Arizona for health reasons. I can recommend it. Been living here now since April 30, 2015 after 27 years of living in the Pacific Northwest. (Just for a point of reference I was born/raised in the Midwest...also known for 'gloomy weather.)

In the short time I've been in Arizona, I've lost 20 lbs, and many of the health problems I was experiencing when I lived up North have either disappeared or lessened. I feel less depressed with all that wonderful sunshine instead of gloomy weather for weeks on end. This area is very wellness oriented. Lots of spas, yoga, massage therapy places...and I'm taking advantage of all of it
Arizona sounds nice!

Its not the first time I've heard stories like that. My mother has a friend who lives in Erie, PA (near the Great Lakes) where winters are very cloudy., she was always sick and depressed in winter. A few years back she and hubby started to winter on Santa Rosa Island in the Florida Panhandle (sunny and 60's F in winter). She has lost like 45 ibs and is actually very in-shape now. I'm up in far northern Vermont now (on stay from Wisconsin), but I feel like when I move to the city I want to go south to lower latitudes.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 AM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Oh really ... my daughter lived in London from 2002 till recently - and the first things she would always say on getting back here was the welcome sunshine and clarity of skies, by comparison with London. Wellington's winters are far brighter than those of London, which averages about 25% of recordable sunshine DJF - even Bognor only averages about 31%. Even Invercargill, which has NZ's cloudiest winters of the main towns, is several % ahead of that, and other NZ cities further ahead.
That's probably down to the fact their ozone layer is shot to pieces there in NZ lol ! Yes it is more sunny here in the USA but London is a small part of the UK and yes it does have its gloomy days but it also has some fantastic ones which are a joy. It depends what you want out of life. If you are looking for all year sunshine then no it isn't going to happen but on the same token it isn't all doom and gloom and its s easy to get out of London for a day/weekend in a few hours by train (compared to having to fly hours at a great expense here or drive long distances). I lived in the SW of England for Uni and was one of the sunniest places and mildest in the country. I have also just moved from somewhere in the east of England that has a reasonable amount of sun and little rain and where I can be at the coast in 30 mins or some lush green countryside which used to make me happy. If I want the coast and beaches now it involves a 11 hour drive or a flight which I do miss. No matter where you live there is always a compromise .

I agree I do enjoy the sunshine here and the sun can make you feel a lot happier whether it is hot or cold but there are other factors that help our health and wellbeing and I'm not so sure the inversions I will experience come winter here will be as good for my health as a mere gloomy day back in the UK.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
London is a small part of the UK and yes it does have its gloomy days but it also has some fantastic ones which are a joy.
Every place in the world has "some fantastic days which are a joy", so I don't know what your point is.

Last edited by Botev1912; 06-20-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM

607 posts, read 648,715 times
Part of the problem in the UK is that the sun sets before 4pm in the winter, so even if it's sunny it can't stay that way for long. And in the summer, when the days are over 16 hours long, there is far too much cloud around far too often. Dull rubbish in the summer is the absolute worst thing about the UK climate.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Every place in the world has "some fantastic days which are a joy", so I don't know what your point is.
It has far more good days than bad days.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
The impact climate has on lives, providing it isn't dangerous, is greatly exaggerated. The UK is cloudy, but the weather is rather inoffensive and blends into the background. Good climate for both human habitation and crop cultivation.

Kind of boring though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather