Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 05:51 PM

914 posts, read 973,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yeah agree with the above.

The climate in the UK may be fairly boring, but we do get thunderstorms, snow, storms, heat etc but just not as much as so called interesting climates. Most of England and Wales to be fair is perfectly acceptable, Scotland and Ireland would bore me to death as they just never get any sort of heat and really their summers are appalling, but then again the whole of the UK is certainly a lot more liveable than other climates that get freezing cold winters (Northern US, midwest, NE, Asia) and other climates that get brutal summers (deserts, etc)

The climate of the UK is certainly not something that should prevent somebody from taking up a job offer over here.. living pretty much anywhere in England you will have a very high standard of living, a good social life etc, which is far more important.
Spot on and mostly within walking distance if in and around London or other large cities or towns and the public transport means no driving all the time when you want to head to a social event or have a drink that is stronger than a soda lol! the same goes for days out as we are only a small island. US offers this but in limited places due to the size of the country and the roads. So you see a compromise. I love the lifestyle,country, the people and the climate but a night out involves a lack of spontaneity and my friends here are all spread out meaning it has to involve expensive taxi rides or I have to drive and not drink.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I disagree, I wouldn't encourage any American to come to the UK. Its pretty boring, even England, London is nice to look at but I definitely couldn't stand living there with the tiny roads and lack of cars, I would go out of my mind.

The UK is a small country anyway so theres not much to do, after you've been around the country a few times you've seen it all. America is a far better country to live in, there is endless things to keep you happy.

Really??? I have lived there most of my life and not even gone through half of the stuff there is to see and do and I am a social butterfly and regularily have weekends away. The lack of having to drive is a bonus . As for lack of cars have you been on any of the major routes out of London on a public holiday or long weekend or rush hour. Don't think you would find a lack of cars. So I take it you have done Stonehenge, Cornwall,the moors of Devon & Yorkshire, Robin hood country,hiking in the peak district, the lake district and the hundreds of historical landmarks as well as all the museums and galleries,all round the UK. If so well done you you're a better person than I am.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Just get the bus or train then, it's quicker than driving in most cases, not to mention far cheaper.
exactly, same in NYC and most other major cities. No one uses the car, they go by public transport which is every few minutes in & out of London and major cities as well as round it

Old 06-20-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
One thing I like about England is the football culture. Every city has its own team, stadium, fans and a long history which is amazing.
history is something that UK & Europe has oodles of. Unfortunately anything in the US that is more than 50 years old is ancient. The UK and Europe has oodles of restaurants and London millions of every cuisine you can imagine all wthin probably a 15 mile radius. Have you been for a curry down brick lane? Turkish in North London? I'm sorry but I find a lot of restaurants and cuisine in Florida all the same, no creativity just the same old thing. At least where I am now in the US its a bit more creative but not without travelling around. In London you have millions of different varieties of food and restaurants so you may not have ventured into the right places as Spitalfields and the west end has endless possibilities if food is what floats your boat.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:15 PM

almost as cheap to fly internationally as it is to fly to NYC from Utah! if going NYC to Ireland.
I completely disagree that brits only go to the tourist spots. We spent 3 days in the Mayaka state park with our kids camping a couple of years ago rather than 2 weeks at Disney. It depends on the type of person you are tbh and if you seek adventure you will find it. My sister has been all round th world including the US & Oz and not to just the tourist places. As have we when lived in NZ. Yes the brits do hit spain in the summer but not all go to the costa del sol or Majorca. Again depends on outlook and there is ignorance of geography everywhere. If you lead a sheltered life and are unadventurous then you will never discover new places

Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Generally speaking no, same with really hot weathers. It may depend on individuals but for the most part no.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:33 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
At least where I am now in the US its a bit more creative but not without travelling around. In London you have millions of different varieties of food and restaurants so you may not have ventured into the right places as Spitalfields and the west end has endless possibilities if food is what floats your boat.
You cant'really compare London (huge city) to Florida or Utah. You should compare it to NYC, LA or Chicago.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You cant'really compare London (huge city) to Florida or Utah. You should compare it to NYC, LA or Chicago.
True, but I came from a small town in the UK, much smaller than Florida and even the food there was a bit more diverse and exciting than most that I had in Florida. On the Utah thing I'm saying that as a positive as have been very surprised by the variety of food that has been on offer here , when as you say its nowhere as big as London.

I don't think that just weather impacts on your health, diet has a lot to do with it too!

As for the comments about Europe being so close and short flying distances and the UK so small, I find that a positive thing as cheaper and easier to travel more often to dfferent cultures,in 4 hours from there you can me in North Africa in Morrocco or Egypt ,although have been amazed at how far as you say people in the US fly for a few days . However I do find flights here as I said ridiculously expensive especially when I could fly to see family in Ireland for just over $3500 for our family (Air Lingus) yet its $2000 to NYC. Once you hit Europe its so cheap to fly anywhere else around it. My family used to fly from Ireland to the UK for $50 return per person.

The trouble is that if you are not a keen flyer then it means a long drive in the US just to get out of a state whereas in the UK/Ireland/Europe this is not the case and you have the bonus of the Eurostar which if you don't like flying gets you to France or Belgium in a few hours and then you can drive through most of mainland Europe.

I do however love being here for the people,and in Utah the long hot summers. I have always lived an outdoors lifestyle with the family even back in the UK where unless it was hammering it down I could enjoy long hikes or cycle rides with my family all round the UK regardless of whether it was sunny or not. Here I can indulge in it more as less rain and in the winter we can ski & snowboard just over half an hour away without having to fly or drive to Europe and my kids can swim outdoors a lot of the time which is great as it makes it cheaper to do stuff in the long school holidays as you know the weather will be good rather than having to have a back up plan.This goes for the social side too in the summer, you plan a bbq with friends and know it will be great weather and the gazebo is used for shade rather than rain shelter .

Having lived in several countries over the years I think there is good and bad with all and you chose what matters most. As I've said there is always a compromise and as it stands as much as I love the UK and miss some of the history and ease of the social side, I can imagine making Utah my home for our family as it offers a lot of other things that the UK doesn't. We as a family just have to decide what is more important to us and also not being as far away as Australia & New Zealand we can visit the UK and people can visit more often here even if I don't like flying as much as I used to years ago.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
One of the reasons the Irish are drunk so much of the time is their crappy climate.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default It seems to be progressive as you get older!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markleee View Post
Is there proof that living in countries with sunny warm climates like Australia or the lower United States better for your health?
it's antedotal but the only thing I miss about LA is the surf and long light of day.
I used to bushwhack in pouring rain all day in my twenties but now light deprivation is really telling.

Even clear skies are better with Vit. A and D intake and that's not just cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather