Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city feels wetter?
NYC 15 44.12%
Seattle 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There isn't such a thing as rain that is maritime in nature. What you are referring to is rain that is typically lighter, due to being at higher latitudes.
That's not true. Continental locations at least in the US tend to get more of their rainfall in high intensity events compared to more ocean influenced locations at the same latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's not true. Continental locations at least in the US tend to get more of their rainfall in high intensity events compared to more ocean influenced locations at the same latitude.
Might not be particularly helpful, but in terms of the average annual max daily precipitation, Seattle is in the same range as most continental locations.
Seattle - 2.19 in, Des Moines, IA - 2.55. NYC - 3.31.
I'd like to do a map someday showing annual precipitation days (if there isn't one already).

Spoiler

Old 07-05-2015, 02:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I think the difference would be in hourly precipitation rates

Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Could you describe the rainfall of my climate, and how it is uniquely maritime in character?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
I would say in this case that NYC feels wetter. Seattle has very wet winters for sure.. but there is a clear dry season in summer that would be noticeable. For someone living there, they would think 'we have rainy winters, but our summers are dry' Someone in NYC would say 'we are never dry throughout the year'

Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I would say in this case that NYC feels wetter. Seattle has very wet winters for sure.. but there is a clear dry season in summer that would be noticeable. For someone living there, they would think 'we have rainy winters, but our summers are dry' Someone in NYC would say 'we are never dry throughout the year'
Relatives lived in Seattle for a number of years, and they described it as wet compared to here, even though here has 40% higher rainfall. Seattle's dry summers didn't define the climate for them.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Could you describe the rainfall of my climate, and how it is uniquely maritime in character?
No, I'm unfamiliar with it anyway. But what does that have to do with the point of my post? Rain on average being lighter doesn't just reflect latitude but other geographical factors as well.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Eh. I wouldn't go that far, the dry-ish months are 3, maybe 4 months of the year, and the winter months are so drizzly they'd stand out more to the locals. Locals seem to think of their climate as a very rainy climate.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:31 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Relatives lived in Seattle for a number of years, and they described it as wet compared to here, even though here has 40% higher rainfall. Seattle's dry summers didn't define the climate for them.
Quote:
Eh. I wouldn't go that far, the dry-ish months are 3, maybe 4 months of the year, and the winter months are so drizzly they'd stand out more to the locals. Locals seem to think of their climate as a very rainy climate.
I guess I'd have to live in both places.

For here, our rainfall is pretty regular throughout the year, dry months can occur at any time (although October and November are least likely to be dry) but I always tend to associate our summers as being drier.

I'd have to live through a Seattle winter to make my mind up on this, and I also guess that NYC has relatively short sharp showers as the majority of their precipitation

Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Locals seem to think of their climate as a very rainy climate.
not rainy, but damp and cloudy. When it rains here, you can barely get wet if you stay outside. That is why almost nobody owns an umbrella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather