Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times

Advertisements

I never took antidepressants, though at one point in my teenage years my parents really wanted me to. I'm glad I didn't. I never bought the notion that the condition was internal.. in my case it was clearly extrinsic factors. I was stuck in high school wanting a boyfriend, living in a rather isolated area. And I also didn't want to take antidepressants because I have long been aware of their association with weight gain. Talk about making things worse...

There's a lot of truth to the statement that you're about as happy as you make your mind up to be. Some things are beyond your control, but your perspective isn't. It's such bull**** when they describe depression as a chemical imbalance, insinuating it needs more chemicals to treat. That's just a half truth.. the chemical imbalance usually occurs as a result of extrinsic factors or bad volitional thinking. It's better to find ways to improve your life or outlook, in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:30 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I never took antidepressants, though at one point in my teenage years my parents really wanted me to. I'm glad I didn't. I never bought the notion that the condition was internal.. in my case it was clearly extrinsic factors. I was stuck in high school wanting a boyfriend, living in a rather isolated area. And I also didn't want to take antidepressants because I have long been aware of their association with weight gain. Talk about making things worse...

There's a lot of truth to the statement that you're about as happy as you make your mind up to be. Some things are beyond your control, but your perspective isn't. It's such bull**** when they describe depression as a chemical imbalance, insinuating it needs more chemicals to treat. That's just a half truth.. the chemical imbalance usually occurs as a result of extrinsic factors or bad volitional thinking. It's better to find ways to improve your life or outlook, in my opinion.
I actually agree with this. If I had a higher quality of life (say I was happy of everything), I don't think that I would be depressed - chemical imbalance or not. There's a reason why people are depressed. We have some sort of a problem in our life and we have to fix it, or else the depression will continue. Maybe antidepressants just help "moderate" the feeling, but would they cure you completely? I don't know...

Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
It can help talking to someone, like a counsellor. My youngest sister has been suffering from depression since she was 14 (she's now 23) & she tried everything, so there was no option left but to go on antidepressants. Sometimes they work for her, sometimes not. But she suffers from severe depression & it made her quit uni, not once but twice....

I feel really bad for her, but feel more for my Mum as she lives back at home with her now & my Mum takes the brunt of her mood swings etc...

I'd say see a counsellor as the first step, as it is important to find out what triggered the depression in the first place. With my sister it seems it was from our Dad dying, she was only 6 at the time, so it had more of an impact on her than the rest of us as we were older. Depression is a horrible thing & unfortunately not many people realise how bad it is...

Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I actually agree with this. If I had a higher quality of life (say I was happy of everything), I don't think that I would be depressed - chemical imbalance or not. There's a reason why people are depressed. We have some sort of a problem in our life and we have to fix it, or else the depression will continue. Maybe antidepressants just help "moderate" the feeling, but would they cure you completely? I don't know...
How old are you, Theropod? The vast majority of people I know, myself included, went through a very rough phase in their late teens/early adulthood, even my father (I've learned that recently) who's now one of the happiest persons I know. Happened to me too. I wholeheartedly agree with snj90 about the fact that more often than not it is intrinsic factors, some of them which you might not realize. (There might be a few people with an actual out-of-the blue chemical imbalance, but I believe it's a very small minority) - i.e. you might think that your life is good and you have no reasons to be unhappy because you're just not seeing the problem or refusing to acknowledge it. I was very depressed a while after I started dating my first gf, and couldn't understand why - after all, I had a gf, what could I complain about? Turns out she was extremely ill-suited and toxic to me (and vice versa). The worst is that I knew it deep down after a while, but she was so clingy that I was too afraid to hurt her by breaking up, so I suppressed the thought and convinced myself instead that she was great for me - that last part was what ****ed me up completely (it's called cognitive dissonance). Eventually I did and I felt INCREDIBLY better and happy again. Took me ****ing YEARS though. So my point is that sometimes, something in your life is completely ruining your happiness even though you can't acknowledge it or refuse to, so maybe start asking yourself that question, even if it means facing uncomfortable truths. Are you happy with your social life? Your love/sex life? Your studies/job? Do people around you accept the fact that you're gay or are you hiding it? Etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
I was wanting to get out for a walk this morning, but with the temp at 82 already and a dewpoint of 73, it's a "no can do." Yet another day cooped up inside, watching the sun blaze down all day long.

This cabin fever is getting old.

On the other hand, only 23 more days before I head north.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Depression is a depressing topic to discuss, lol...

Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Have you tried talking to a therapist? I've been seeing one for the last 3 months and I can tell you- it works wonders to have someone to talk with. Someone who's unbiased and won't judge you based on what you tell them. It's a good way to blow off steam and really tell someone how you feel. Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I was wanting to get out for a walk this morning, but with the temp at 82 already and a dewpoint of 73, it's a "no can do." Yet another day cooped up inside, watching the sun blaze down all day long.

This cabin fever is getting old.

On the other hand, only 23 more days before I head north.
It's amazing here, dewpoint of 75 and overcast!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
whoever wrote this form doesn't want to forget a certain unpleasant German government. Any guesses on what the form is for?

As a commentator wrote.. what if you advocated overthrow of the Nazi government?
Is this an immigration/visa application?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Is this an immigration/visa application?
Application for American citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather