Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Wonder what retort Yn0hTnA would have if he saw the Houston column compared to those places.
NOLA and Mobile are at a position of the country where the Gulf water is directly due south for great all-around distances; that grants more sources for storms to come in. Houston's position means that the Gulf water is due South for not as great distances, making it so that there are less sources for storms to come through. This is the same reason why Savannah and Charleston have less storm days than NOLA and Mobile; however, for them, they are closer to the Bermuda high, allowing for consistently high storm days.

Thus, it really isn't surprising to see NOLA and Mobile with much higher numbers of storms than Houston; Mobile, I believe, is the wettest city in the contiguous US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Please don't give that guy any attention. He's probably off somewhere in dreamland hoping for coconuts to grow on the northern gulf coast.
With such high amounts of rainfall annually, and mild winter temps, I can see coconut palms as viable on the Northern Gulf Coast, especially as cold snaps start becoming less frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
That surprised me as well. It has the same amounts of storms as Key West, the least stormy part of the state. Texas really cannot compare to Florida.
Obvious statement is obvious; the vast majority of Texas averages less than 40 inches of rain annually, nowhere in Florida is that true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Houston is probably more susceptible to high pressure I would assume.
As of late, yes; it is said that global warming has caused high-pressure to become more dominant in summer over Texas than it has in the past. Then again, other theories postulate that rising sea-levels will extend the Bermuda High influence into Texas, so more of the state has more consistent summer thunderstorms than before. Still, other theories have Houston, and the coastal South being underwater.

Houston's summer precipitation regime normally is similar to the South Atlantic areas, but sometimes, high pressure influence can extend from Central Texas, and induce some dry days. But, either way, Houston gets enough storms and rain in the year to keep the landscape looking more like the South Atlantic than like Central Texas.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 07-29-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Using the source you gave here, I found that Charleston was at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to Savannah. But in the chart you made here they are practically identical. Where is this data from?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Thus, it really isn't surprising to see NOLA and Mobile with much higher numbers of storms than Houston;
Fair enough. But that wasn't the case before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
But the specific portion of Texas in question (Houston/Galveston, Beaumont, and the rest of the eastern area Texas) exhibits a climate just like that seen in the rest of the Coastal Southeast

Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
Fair enough. But that wasn't the case before.
It always was the case; yes, there are some minor differences in climate seen in cities across the coastal South, but the fact still remains that they all exhibit a humid climate regime, where summer thunderstorms are featured.

Look at the California coast; rainfall is much less than is seen in the European Med basin. But it doesn't change the fact that both areas share the common climate features that allow them both to be classified as having the Med climate regime.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Using the source you gave here, I found that Charleston was at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to Savannah. But in the chart you made here they are practically identical. Where is this data from?
It's the same source...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It's the same source...
That's very weird. You are using CHS and SAV?

I get the following results for June-August:

Charleston 30, Savannah 37

Charleston 36, Savannah 39

Charleston 30, Savannah 32

Charleston 28, Savannah 36

Charleston 38, Savannah 37

5 year average: Charleston 32.4, Savannah 36.2

4 days is still not that significant, but I wonder why we are coming up with different figures?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM

Are you looking at the annual summary?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Are you looking at the annual summary?
No, I opened the summaries of each month individually.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
No, I opened the summaries of each month individually.
I used the annual one. The other way takes 3 times as long. Why on earth are they different?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I used the annual one. The other way takes 3 times as long. Why on earth are they different?
Wow, I have no clue.

Looking at the daily breakdown on the top image proves that number is correct. (count reports of "TS")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather