Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is more typically oceanic?
Paris, France 16 38.10%
Vancouver, Canada 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Paris- it's summers aren't that warm [NZ has places that warm in summer.] and it has very uniform rainfall.

Vancouver is just a Mediterranean climate at a higher latitude.
Not really. Portland and Seattle are, but Vancouver gets a decent amount of summer rain and isn't very warm and sunny in the summer. Though it does depend on the year, drier years in Vancouver can feel Med-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Not really. Portland and Seattle are, but Vancouver gets a decent amount of summer rain and isn't very warm and sunny in the summer. Though it does depend on the year, drier years in Vancouver can feel Med-ish.
I think the ratio of rainfall is the most significant feature of a Mediterranean climate rather than just totals, because that says that the rainfall undergoes a major seasonal change - the opposite of Oceanic rainfall definition.

The problem with calling Vancouver Oceanic, is that there is no acknowledgement that rainfall in the driest month, is one fifth of the wettest month.

Classifications are meant to provide better understanding of a climate, and I just don't see it, if Vancouver is called Oceanic.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the ratio of rainfall is the most significant feature of a Mediterranean climate rather than just totals, because that says that the rainfall undergoes a major seasonal change - the opposite of Oceanic rainfall definition.

The problem with calling Vancouver Oceanic, is that there is no acknowledgement that rainfall in the driest month, is one fifth of the wettest month.

Classifications are meant to provide better understanding of a climate, and I just don't see it, if Vancouver is called Oceanic.
So are you saying Vancouver's climate has more in common with Naples or Los Angeles than it does with London or Amsterdam? I think what defines a Med climate is having a distinctly arid summer (as in at least a month with less than 1" of rain), and mild warm winters. Vancouver's winters are nearly as cold as winters in the Mid-Atlantic states and their summers, while much drier than the winters, still receive an ample amount of rain and are fairly cloudy.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
So are you saying Vancouver's climate has more in common with Naples or Los Angeles than it does with London or Amsterdam? I think what defines a Med climate is having a distinctly arid summer (as in at least a month with less than 1" of rain), and mild warm winters. Vancouver's winters are nearly as cold as winters in the Mid-Atlantic states and their summers, while much drier than the winters, still receive an ample amount of rain and are fairly cloudy.
The colder and wetter climate is explained by latitude. It's a weak Mediterranean effect rather than an unusual Oceanic pattern.

Climates needn't feel the same, to be in the same grouping. I don't think my climate would feel like Amsterdam or London either.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times
Quote:
I think what defines a Med climate is having a distinctly arid summer (as in at least a month with less than 1" of rain), and mild warm winters.
Italian cities like Rome, Naples, Lecce, Messina, Grosseto, Genoa (actually almost the entire peninsula) have a mediterranean climate but they get much more rainfall than that in summer thanks to strong thunderstorms. Some don't even qualify as mediterranean in Koppen classification (Bari, Pisa), and the same is valid for Barcelona.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Vancouver gets 290 hours of sun in July so it's a good deal sunnier than oceanic climates in Europe.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Vancouver gets 290 hours of sun in July so it's a good deal sunnier than oceanic climates in Europe.
I think it's hard to compare since they measure sunniness differently. I was in Vancouver in July once and it was very dreary. They get an average of 7 rain days a month in July and August, which means it rains roughly once every 4 or 5 days. I think it's clear about 50 percent of the time. That's not exactly what I'd call an arid summer. I think Vancouverites just want to think they have a balmy LA-like climate lol. I suppose compared to the rest of Canada they do.

I define a climate more by the kind of vegetation it produces than the meteorological energy that produces the weather. If Vancouver was truly a Mediterranean climate it would have semi-arid chaparral vegetation or oak savanna, not temperate rain forest. I don't think you encounter true Med climates until you get as far south as Roseburg, Oregon.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Vancouver had one of its hotter summers? At least Seattle did. Vanouver's record high isn't very hot at all; I think it's 93F. I remember we did a comparison of hot days for Seattle and Portland with a few French cities. Portland had much hot days than Paris; I think Seattle was a bit less?
Seattle average 9 days at or above 86 F/30 C. I imagine Vancouver being close to that, maybe a little less.

Not sure if Vancouver or Paris has a higher standard deviation throughout the year.

Random side note about Seattle: High Wind Warning in effect with a quarter inch to half an inch of rain expected today. Seems a little early in the season for such stormy weather. Guess that's why it'll be hot here in the east. Rainfall Warning in effect in Vancouver: Alerts for: Metro Vancouver - Environment Canada

Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 AM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Definitely Paris. Relatively even distribution of rainfall through the year is the deciding factor. Vancouver, like the rest of the inland PNW, has a weird summer dry signal which shows in some of the native vegetation.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 AM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
I define a climate more by the kind of vegetation it produces than the meteorological energy that produces the weather. If Vancouver was truly a Mediterranean climate it would have semi-arid chaparral vegetation or oak savanna, not temperate rain forest. I don't think you encounter true Med climates until you get as far south as Roseburg, Oregon.
You would be wrong about that. Semi-arid chaparral vegetation and oak savanna occur very near Vancouver, in the Gulf Islands and southeastern Vancouver Island. There are even a few garry oak meadows in the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver, although these are small remnant populations.

The city of Vancouver itself was never "temperate rainforest" either. What you need to understand about British Columbia (and the entire PNW) is that rainfall varies dramatically within a couple miles. Downtown Vancouver was mainly Douglas fir forest, not rainforest. The nearest temperate rainforests would have been on the North Shore. The nearest oak savannas would have been a few miles south, near Anacortes, WA. Across Georgia Strait, on the Gulf Islands and southeast Vancouver Island, oak savannas and dry Douglas fir forest once predominated (and still predominates, where development hasn't taken over).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather