Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Since being a heat lover is the norm/mainstream, do you think people who love sun and hot weather tend to be more mainstream and conventional in their views in general?

Would heat lovers be more likely for example to have say ESTJ personalities compared to INFP?

Yes, whatever you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM

8,118 posts, read 7,488,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Since being a heat lover is the norm/mainstream, do you think people who love sun and hot weather tend to be more mainstream and conventional in their views in general?

Would heat lovers be more likely for example to have say ESTJ personalities compared to INFP?
This question seems more suited to the Psychology forum than the Weather forum, but what do I know?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,717,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I have yet to see any proof that heat lovers are more common than cold lovers. Both preferences are definitely not mainstream and would be indicative of a less "conventional" personality.

For the record, I know there is a least one cold lover who is an INFP.
I don't think I can tie the case of politics to climate without a lot more thought and research, but I don't think I'd have to work hard at all to show that far more people (ie...more common) prefer to be warm/hot than cool/cold.

For one, just look at our language/lexicon, which of course over time is tied to how/what we think. Someone who is friendly and inviting, typically considered good qualities, is called "warm". A beautiful/handsome person, typically considered a good quality, is called "hot", an unfriendly and standoffish person, generally considered a less desirable quality, is described as "cool" or "cold". Do you think those descriptions were just arbitrarily decided, or do they really reflect what people consider desirable (hot/warm) and undesirable (cold/cool) ?

Secondly, being from Minnesota, the land of frigid winters and relatively cool summers in most areas, I personally know dozens of people who have lived here their whole life, born here, raised here, employed here and when they retire, they spend the cool/cold months in....wait for it, a warm/hot place. We call them "snowbirds". I'm honestly not sure I've yet met a native born Arizonian, or Texan or Floridian, who comes up here to relatively cool/cold Minnesota to spend the Summer and escape the heat of their native state. We all know what a snowbird is....is there even an equivalent word for those escaping from hot/warm places and going to cold/cool places in the summer months ? if there is such a word, it's not nearly as common as snowbird, which is of course another telling little detail.

I do know one gal, a native Arizonian, who met her husband, a native of Minnesota, but in Arizona for school, married him and he dragged her up here to live. I met her 34 years ago when she first arrived in cool/cold Minnesota, and she's lived here that entire time....and I know she loves her husband dearly, but still frequently tells me she wishes they lived in warm/hot Arizona.

So, in summary, I think it's fairly easy to make the case that most people prefer to be warm/hot, maybe at the beach in flip flops, or riding around town in the convertible, as opposed to being cool/cold and building a snowman or downhill skiing.... if given a viable choice.

Last edited by jasper1372; 02-22-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,908,444 times
I don't believe that there is correlation between climate preference, Myers-Briggs type and/or political affiliation.

I'm very liberal but am comfortable with people of different political ideologies and like to engage in civil debate with those who have different views than myself. I am an ENFP according to a Myers-Briggs test that I took once for a job...didn't get the job though because ENFPs are not typically associated with being manufacturing operations managers.

I like a 4 season climate but prefer one that is on the cold side with a longer winter, cool spring and crisp fall. Three months of summer is plenty for me and summer should not be excessively hot (lower to mid 70's is fine). My favorite season is winter with heaps of snow, polar vortexes and all of the other events that come with it. There's just something incredibly energizing about cold weather and snow. My second favorite season is fall. Humidity and precipitation are musts for me and the cloudier the better.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,537,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I don't think I can tie the case of politics to climate without a lot more thought and research, but I don't think I'd have to work hard at all to show that far more people (ie...more common) prefer to be warm/hot than cool/cold.

For one, just look at our language/lexicon, which of course over time is tied to how/what we think. Someone who is friendly and inviting, typically considered good qualities, is called "warm". A beautiful/handsome person, typically considered a good quality, is called "hot", an unfriendly and standoffish person, generally considered a less desirable quality, is described as "cool" or "cold". Do you think those descriptions were just arbitrarily decided, or do they really reflect what people consider desirable (hot/warm) and undesirable (cold/cool) ?

Secondly, being from Minnesota, the land of frigid winters and relatively cool summers in most areas, I personally know dozens of people who have lived here their whole life, born here, raised here, employed here and when they retire, they spend the cool/cold months in....wait for it, a warm/hot place. We call them "snowbirds". I'm honestly not sure I've yet met a native born Arizonian, or Texan or Floridian, who comes up here to relatively cool/cold Minnesota to spend the Summer and escape the heat of their native state. We all know what a snowbird is....is there even an equivalent word for those escaping from hot/warm places and going to cold/cool places in the summer months ? if there is such a word, it's not nearly as common as snowbird, which is of course another telling little detail.

I do know one gal, a native Arizonian, who met her husband, a native of Minnesota, but in Arizona for school, married him and he dragged her up here to live. I met her 34 years ago when she first arrived in cool/cold Minnesota, and she's lived here that entire time....and I know she loves her husband dearly, but still frequently tells me she wishes they lived in warm/hot Arizona.

So, in summary, I think it's fairly easy to make the case that most people prefer to be warm/hot, maybe at the beach in flip flops, or riding around town in the convertible, as opposed to being cool/cold and building a snowman or downhill skiing.... if given a viable choice.
Correct. You simply do not see holiday development of similar scale in cold locations because the demand just isn't there.

Source: Surfers Paradise Apartments Gold Coast - Surf Parade Resort Holiday Accommodation

Source: https://princessann.com

Source: https://www.beachdeals.com/2017/05/0...ondesa-cancun/

Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 AM
tij

453 posts, read 339,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

We all know what a snowbird is....is there even an equivalent word for those escaping from hot/warm places and going to cold/cool places in the summer months ? if there is such a word, it's not nearly as common as snowbird, which is of course another telling little detail.

People in other countries definitely try to escape hot summers though-- plenty in India visit "hill stations" to escape the heat of the lowland plains during the hottest period of year if they can afford it...

Think most would judge San Diego as a better climate than Phoenix and its extreme heat-- doubt most enjoy 100's! Warm is probably a more common preference than extremely hot.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 AM

895 posts, read 607,227 times
Something I'd like to bring up is the geography of various regions with respect to politics. The liberals/democrats have two main strongholds: the Pacific Coast and the Northeast. All regions except CA and HI have relatively cold climates, and the more conservative areas of CA tend to be inland with a hotter climate. Meanwhile, the South has a warmer climate and is pretty conservative/republican.

The average American either likes what they're used to or is annoyed by what they're used to and prefers something else. In my experience, the former is more common as many people here are afraid of heat, although places like NYC might be different as the difference in summer between NYC and the South is much less than the difference in winter.

However, there is a distinct preference for Democrats over Republicans for the month of July with a equally distinct preference for Republicans over Democrats for the month of December: https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...san.png&w=1484 But July/December in different regions have different weather.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f970e7c5f4eb

Also I'm going to blow this theory. I'm a heat-lover (though not an extreme one) and a liberal democrat with an INTJ/INTP personality.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:43 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,887,481 times
Not sure if I'm a through and through heat lover, I'd say more a cold hater and prefer mild to warm conditions. Anyway, I'm pretty much centrist on politics, I have a mix of views on a range of things without looking through the lens of a political persuasion.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:08 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,044,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Not sure if I'm a through and through heat lover, I'd say more a cold hater and prefer mild to warm conditions. Anyway, I'm pretty much centrist on politics, I have a mix of views on a range of things without looking through the lens of a political persuasion.
You like 21-32°C, that's a heat lover

Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,717,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
People in other countries definitely try to escape hot summers though-- plenty in India visit "hill stations" to escape the heat of the lowland plains during the hottest period of year if they can afford it...

Think most would judge San Diego as a better climate than Phoenix and its extreme heat-- doubt most enjoy 100's! Warm is probably a more common preference than extremely hot.
I'd agree with you that most would prefer the climate of San Diego compared to Phoenix...both places I've been to frequently. I don't think you have to prefer 100+ degree temps to be classified as a "heat lover". I would classify a heat lover simplistically as anyone who doesn't like to be cold. The definition of cold depends on the person. Some are comfortable at 55, some need 75, some prefer 85.

For heating/cooling degree days, the weather people use the temperature of 65 degrees (average) as a baseline. If the average temperature is under that, you need a heat source turned on, if above that, you need a cooling source turned on. That being said, I would assume that means that for the majority, they are most comfortable on days where the temperature is for instance 75 during the day, and perhaps 55 at night....averaging 65 degrees over all 24 hours. Does this sound more like San Diego, or Madison Wisconsin ?

As you noted however, we're still talking about a warm climate in San Diego, not a cool/cold climate in Minneapolis Minnesota or Madison Wisconsin for instance. If you offer people a viable/affordable alternative of living in a climate like San Diego or one similar to that of Wisconsin....see how that survey comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather