Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Monkey Puzzle Tree.

Little leaves.

Variegated Yucca.

Skies looked serious, but the sun came back out shortly afterwards.

Buds.

Daisy.

Fern?

Broccoli flowers/head.

Took these a couple of days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Monkey Puzzle Tree.
More accurately Araucaria Araucana, or "Patagonia's Pehuén"

Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Until now our beginning of spring has been quite "hesitant". We are altering really warm days with high temps of 15-20°C (I had lunch sitting in a park twice last week) with cold days, some even with snow.

For example these are photos taken in Turin during last Wednesday. So that these photos are not mine I post the link, it is in Italian but it seems quite intuitive. The photo I'm interested to is just below the title. If you want to see other pictures, that page is actually a gallery so you just have to put your mouse arrow on the little piece of picture on the right of the main photo to see appear the arrows for navigating all the pictures.

La neve a marzo a Torino: gli alberi in fiore imbiancati - La Stampa
This photos were shared a lot in these days because it is quite rare to see snow over the blossom trees in the center of Turin...

On the other hand, these are some photos I took today from my place. Today it has been really warm and sunny instead (high temps 15.9°C in here and 19.7°C in Turin).

At first I've tried to take some panoramic photos of the mountains I can see from my place (it was an experiment, I've never taken pictures like these before)

^ looking toward South.

^ looking toward North

Then some random photos from my garden:

^this is practically all the snow that has remained in my garden since Wednesday (we had something more than 10cm of wet snow. The village above us, 200 m higher, received 50 cm of snow instead!)

^ When we see them in the garden we know that it is nearly spring. It grows spontanously on the fields. Here at my place it pops out more or less at the beginning of the spring, it blossoms, it spreads its seeds and then it disappears until the following year.
We eat it as a salad, in fact my mum often looks for it in this period (we ate it last week). At my place it is called with a dialectal name that sounds like "zëlne grahe" and that literaly means "fat chickens"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerianella_locusta

^ some primroses my uncle planted in the garden. The second one looks like the spontaneous ones you can find around the village, they are just a little larger.

^these are the narcissus we have in the garden (they are usually cultivated, but in this case they grow quite wildly without any particular attention. These are the flowers that my grandma calls "March's flowers".

Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Monkey Puzzle Tree.

Little leaves.

Variegated Yucca.

Skies looked serious, but the sun came back out shortly afterwards.

Buds.

Daisy.

Fern?

Broccoli flowers/head.

Took these a couple of days ago.

Nice pics! Long Island looks pretty mild with this being mid March.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Alright here we are. Reason I don't post pictures much is because of how long it takes for me. First I email them from my phone, then resize them, then upload to photo bucket which is the most stressful and bothersome thing of all because of how laggy the site is and how many times things freeze up. But I took the time as I said I would to get you guys the photos. They are a few days old now so things have progressed some more.

Southern magnolias have naturalized in the piedmont of NC. Here are some growing in the forest.

Nice pics. Photobucket stinks. Takes too long to upload to their site, plus half the photos sometimes don't upload. Also, tedious to keep copying and pasting the link.

The other forums I'm on use Tinypic. Much easier. And of course the FB groups very easy to upload photos and they look great.

Can't CD upgrade the photo upload bit Nei???

Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I agree on Photobucket. . Used them for yrs but the site drags, horrible. Plus your pictures disappear from where you pasted them if you go over a certain amount of bandwidth.

I been using Imgur for a while now. I dont know how they stay in buisness with unlimited use for free

Once in a while igur will be overloaded and offline but they arent lagging and slow like photobucket.

Such a great name PB but horrible management.

I believe CityData has premium services where you get unlimited attachments

The other option is to create a twitter account purposely for posting pictures elsewhere. Just post on twitter, copy and paste elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:21 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Reason I don't post pictures much is because of how long it takes for me. First I email them from my phone, then resize them, then upload to photo bucket which is the most stressful and bothersome thing of all because of how laggy the site is and how many times things freeze up.
Just go to postimage.org and upload directly from your phone. The site is very lightweight and you don't need an account.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Cool! -you guys have got a Delaware Bay over there as well. Named after the one here I guess. I've seen seals at Delaware Bay (here), although stingrays are the most notable residents of the estuary there -not a safe place to swim. Good surf on the sea side of the bay too.
It's not named after the NZ Delaware Bay. There was a colonial person named De la Warr (the first royal governor of Virginia), and after him the river and bay were named. The Delaware tribe (an indigenous American people) were named after the river/bay because they lived close to it IIRC. The tribe's actual name is Lenni Lenape.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,186 times
I think spring is about 10 days ahead of schedule due to the warm March.
Some trees are really starting to look green.

Others have red buds.

I assume these are cherry trees, but I'm not really sure.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:12 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I think spring is about 10 days ahead of schedule due to the warm March.
Some trees are really starting to look green.

Others have red buds.

I assume these are cherry trees, but I'm not really sure.
Looks like Cherry but the bark is fooling me. Maybe because it's young.

Interesting. I have a couple of Red Maples that look like that red bud tree you showed but my Cherry trees are far from even budding.

We are about 10-14 days early with most stuff.

Neighbor's Magnolia starting to pop open. Usually doesn't until early April. Looks weird for March!

We hit 26°F(-3C) here this morning, Snow tomorrow, 20s and 30s another couple days so the progress will be slowed down. Then next weekend we'll see the bursts of buds and blooms again.

This is how the Mags looked last year April 21st. About 2 weeks late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather