Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite among these year round hot climates?
Dallol 0 0%
Mecca 1 3.85%
Wyndham 1 3.85%
Singapore 0 0%
Chennai 0 0%
Kingston 3 11.54%
Miami 16 61.54%
I'll take the South Pole over all of these 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Only Majami would call them too "cold" for comfort (outside of cold snaps) and only Shalop would complain about 76/60 being too hot and humid for comfort.
I was calling the "cold" snaps too cold for comfort. Not mid/upper 70s which I said were comfortable, and a good excuse for me to wear sweaters.

But let's not get carried away, 70s is not "hot" as another person said, I wouldn't even call it "warm" but there I recognize some people will disagree - especially if they have acclimated to a cold climate.

The cold snaps in January/February make Miami's weather unpredictable. I watch the weather forecast everyday then. Whereas these days, I catch it maybe once a week. I was even a bit surprised by the low-lying clouds for this Miami Open (I was there to watch and root for Djokovic) and I needed a sweater. Proof that temperatures around 80F (what my accuweather app reported) can be cold with no sun and breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 07:02 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I was calling the "cold" snaps too cold for comfort. Not mid/upper 70s which I said were comfortable, and a good excuse for me to wear sweaters.

But let's not get carried away, 70s is not "hot" as another person said, I wouldn't even call it "warm" but there I recognize some people will disagree - especially if they have acclimated to a cold climate.

The cold snaps in January/February make Miami's weather unpredictable. I watch the weather forecast everyday then. Whereas these days, I catch it maybe once a week. I was even a bit surprised by the low-lying clouds for this Miami Open (I was there to watch and root for Djokovic) and I needed a sweater. Proof that temperatures around 80F (what my accuweather app reported) can be cold with no sun and breeze.

75-80 under cloud cover still feels downright balmy and is definitely shorts and tee shirt weather for most people; I'd only wear a sweater in Miami during their cold snaps which means something like 65/45 for a day or two. I'd say from November through March, 95 percent of the weather can be described as "comfortable" light clothing with no need for an extra layer or any household heating or AC. It's no secret that "winter" is described as the outdoor season in Miami unless you're strictly talking about water related stuff.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It's no secret that "winter" is described as the outdoor season in Miami unless you're strictly talking about water related stuff.
That's news to me. The winter is our snowbird season, but in reality there are many more things to do indoors (due to the festivals etc) in the winter than the summer. The winter is sort of our cultural renaissance so to speak when our city is overflowing with snowbirds and tourists. The summer on otoh is best for idling on your boat, fishing, diving, swimming, lounging by the pool. The beaches in Miami Beach see their 'second peak' around July/August as locals from the rest of Miami swarm them.

Overall I'm a bit curious in what you mean by outdoor activities not related to the water. This *is* Miami we're talking about. We're between a swamp and the ocean. I technically live on a island. Everything here is related to the water in some way. If you hate the water, please don't come to Miami you will shoot yourself out of boredom.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That's news to me. The winter is our snowbird season, but in reality there are many more things to do indoors (due to the festivals etc) in the winter than the summer. The winter is sort of our cultural renaissance so to speak when our city is overflowing with snowbirds and tourists. The summer on otoh is best for idling on your boat, fishing, diving, swimming, lounging by the pool. The beaches in Miami Beach see their 'second peak' around July/August as locals from the rest of Miami swarm them.

Overall I'm a bit curious in what you mean by outdoor activities not related to the water. This *is* Miami we're talking about. We're between a swamp and the ocean. I technically live on a island. Everything here is related to the water in some way. If you hate the water, please don't come to Miami you will shoot yourself out of boredom.
Winters in Miami are cool enough to comfortably walk around outdoors in the afternoon for those outdoor festivals, hanging out and people watch on the boardwalk, eat lunch outside, etc and still warm enough to swim for many of the tourists and even some of the locals. You're also less likely to have your afternoon round of golf ended by a sudden thunderstorm (as entertaining as they can be, they can still disrupt plans from 2PM to about sunset). Also for runners, cyclists, sports like soccer, etc. Miami summers are just a bit too humid to be doing vigorous outdoor activities. Even in central Florida, the winters are still more "outdoorsy" than the summers although places like Orlando and Tampa are usually too cool to swim in December and January.

Miami is running away with the poll because most people don't WANT 90/78 and humid every day of the year (even if they like hot and humid summers).

Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Winters in Miami are cool enough to comfortably walk around outdoors in the afternoon for those outdoor festivals, hanging out and people watch on the boardwalk, eat lunch outside, etc and still warm enough to swim for many of the tourists and even some of the locals. You're also less likely to have your afternoon round of golf ended by a sudden thunderstorm (as entertaining as they can be, they can still disrupt plans from 2PM to about sunset). Also for runners, cyclists, sports like soccer, etc. Miami summers are just a bit too humid to be doing vigorous outdoor activities. Even in central Florida, the winters are still more "outdoorsy" than the summers although places like Orlando and Tampa are usually too cool to swim in December and January.

Miami is running away with the poll because most people don't WANT 90/78 and humid every day of the year (even if they like hot and humid summers).
Well ok, for things like running winter is best. Our Marathon is held in January. But it's easy to jog year round in Miami, though in the summer pick times during night or the morning. When the sun isn't shining obviously.

There is no indoor season here, restaurants still sell out their outdoor seating (for dinners), people still seem to be dominantly outside in July. In fact, beach usage among locals spikes in the summer, so for most locals, summer might be their most active time outdoors.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Well ok, for things like running winter is best. Our Marathon is held in January. But it's easy to jog year round in Miami, though in the summer pick times during night or the morning. When the sun isn't shining obviously.

There is no indoor season here, restaurants still sell out their outdoor seating (for dinners), people still to be dominantly outside in July. In fact, beach usage among locals spikes in the summer, so for most locals summer might be their most active time outdoors.

During summer, most people probably prefer indoor seating for lunch or an early dinner with those dewpoints and chances of a sudden thunderstorm. Outdoor seating is more for like a late dinner. IF you're strictly talking about swimming in the ocean, yeah, summers are going to win, especially with the locals who've been acclimated to think that 72 is "cold". Anyway, why isn't Singapore or Kingston winning this poll since they are both pretty much "Miami's August" year round?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
During summer, most people probably prefer indoor seating for lunch or an early dinner with those dewpoints and chances of a sudden thunderstorm.
I can guarantee you, come to Miami during the summer. *If* there is a wait for a restaurant, you will have a faster time finding indoor seating than outdoor seating. I eat out every night in Miami, and outdoor seating is always more in demand, and yes that's true in our summer as well.

BTW, have you been to Miami?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Anyway, why isn't Singapore or Kingston winning this poll since they are both pretty much "Miami's August" year round?
You really can't draw an inference from the small number of people who voted in this poll to people at large.

For one it's a known correlation between introversion and preference for cold climates. And a known correlation between internet forums and introversion.

I hear preferences here I never hear outside - eg, the guy who claims he wants to keep his indoor temp in the 50s and complains 68F/20C is "too hot."

You tried to compare me to him, tried to imply I'm just as ridiculous but in the other direction. Ok, that can be your opinion but just watch the Miami Open final 2016, and you will see plenty of people in sweaters (and short sleeves) at 79/80F. Right now it's 76F and I'm in a sweater, sweat pants typing this on my balcony. And yes I feel a bit cold.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I can guarantee you, come to Miami during the summer. *If* there is a wait for a restaurant, you will have a faster time finding indoor seating than outdoor seating. I eat out every night in Miami, and outdoor seating is always more in demand, and yes that's true in our summer as well.

BTW, have you been to Miami?
Yes; spent 3 days in South Beach before boarding a cruise to Cozumel. This was in early May and I found the weather to be comfortably warm for both swimming and walking around with a water bottle but we did eat indoors during lunch because it was a bit too warm to be sitting outside. Those balmy evenings were gorgeous though and I did enjoy a brief heavy thunderstorm around 4PM on my final day in South Beach.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:

Only Majami would call them too "cold" for comfort (outside of cold snaps) and only Shalop would complain about 76/60 being too hot and humid for comfort.
Yeah I do think that 76F and 200+ hours of sun can be described as hot, especially if you're outside doing arduous activities like running or biking. Hell, even in 40s F I work up a huge sweat just running a 5k in a tshirt.

Perhaps even more important than temperature is the humidity factor. If you look at the dew point graph for MIA below, you'll see that there are several days in midwinter where the dew point reaches the mid 70s F, something which I find unacceptable even in July let alone January.

I'd easily take 6 months of -60C temps and -80C windchills over any of the climates listed above.

https://weatherspark.com/history/308...-United-States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather