Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose your favorite subtropical climate from the following menu
Tampa, Florida 11 12.50%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 4 4.55%
Charleston, South Carolina 15 17.05%
Florence, Italy 10 11.36%
Tokyo, Japan 5 5.68%
Hong Kong 2 2.27%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 3 3.41%
Sydney, Australia 11 12.50%
Brisbane, Australia 18 20.45%
Johannesburg, South Africa 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,414,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
Yet Sydney records warmer winters than anywhere north of the Florida border you penis mcghee wavehunter bumraper. And Sydney's summers are far from cold, average lows are around 20C, and the warmth lasts well into autumn. Coastal Sydney summers are warmer and more humid than coastal LA or San Diego. DAS HERP
There are subarctic locations with similar average highs in summer as Sydney .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well I was just considering the areas where they are like weeds rather than where you can grow one or two. Their native habitat is in the lowlands of the Sonoran Desert in SW AZ, SE CA and northern Sonora state.
The ones around here aren't old enough to have seeded yet They've been growing for much longer further north, where they do seed and produce seedlings around the base -and those places only have average temperatures around 13/14C. I expect it's only a matter of time before they seed here.

Washingtonia doesn't need heat and thrives in cool summers, but I doubt they will become invasive though, as a plant has to be tough to compete in the thick NZ undergrowth.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
Wow, how awesome. Those subarctic locations have far colder lows, lower humidity and -40C winters you f**klord. When Sydney is still enjoying 26C highs and 15C lows in mid autumn, your subarctic hotholes are already nearing freezing.

I don't what your talking about, autumn here is very warm. Not to mention my record high in winter is higher than sydneys , plus we have gotten winters similar to Sydney's. Places at Sydney's latitude get far warmer winters than Sydney's ever gotten some years. Sydney isn't special. Just very temperate is all. Also my average yearly temp is only a bit lower than Sydney's yet I live far north of Sydney and in the eastern us.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:05 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,687,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I don't what your talking about, autumn here is very warm. Not to mention my record high in winter is higher than sydneys , plus we have gotten winters similar to Sydney's. Places at Sydney's latitude get far warmer winters than Sydney's ever gotten some years. Sydney isn't special. Just very temperate is all. Also my average yearly temp is only a bit lower than Sydney's yet I live far north of Sydney and in the eastern us.
Sydney (Observatory Hill) averages 22.5/14.5 for 1981-2010
Sydney Airport averages 22.5/14.2 for 1981-2010
Parramatta (Further Inland) averages 23.3/12.1 for 1981-2010
Raleigh Durham Int. averages 22.0/10.0 for 1981-2010
That's not the same

It's true that Sydney isn't warm for its latitude, but neither is Raleigh.
Southern Florida is very warm for its latitude though.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Sydney (Observatory Hill) averages 22.5/14.5 for 1981-2010
Sydney Airport averages 22.5/14.2 for 1981-2010
Parramatta (Further Inland) averages 23.3/12.1 for 1981-2010
Raleigh Durham Int. averages 22.0/10.0 for 1981-2010
That's not the same

It's true that Sydney isn't warm for its latitude, but neither is Raleigh.
Southern Florida is very warm for its latitude though.
Very close though. Although our average low is significantly lower. The high rises further inland but the low drops in Australia. Looks at Canberra at same latitude as Raleigh,

Raleigh
22/10

Canberra
19.7/ 6.5

Also canberra has extremely cold summer record lows, it had recorded freezing temps 10 out of the 12 months of the year and frosts in every month, to be fair its at a altitude higher than raleigh but for it to be so cold in a continent so far north and far away from the poles is crazy, tells me that arctic blasts frequent Australia just as much as here except they don't pack a punch like here.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
Quote:
Also canberra has extremely cold summer record lows, it had recorded freezing temps 10 out of the 12 months of the year and frosts in every month, to be fair its at a altitude higher than raleigh but for it to be so cold in a continent so far north and far away from the poles is crazy, tells me that arctic blasts frequent Australia just as much as here except they don't pack a punch like here.
Of course -that's why they're different climates.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Very close though. Although our average low is significantly lower. The high rises further inland but the low drops in Australia. Looks at Canberra at same latitude as Raleigh,

Raleigh
22/10

Canberra
19.7/ 6.5

Canberra is nearly 1900ft above sea level.

1981-2010 data is: 20.2/7.0
Climate statistics for Australian locations

Wagga Wagga is 700 ft asl. and 1981-2010 averages are 22.5/9.1

There are no big difference in mean temp.
That changes from about 31°N where the Us East Coast tends to be warmer than the Australian East coast at 31°S

Old 04-30-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Canberra is nearly 1900ft above sea level.

1981-2010 data is: 20.2/7.0

Wagga Wagga is 700 ft asl. and 1981-2010 averages are 22.5/9.1

There are no big difference in mean temp.
That changes from about 31°N where the Us East Coast tends to be warmer than the Australian East coast at 31°S
Even wagga wagga has recorded frosty temps in every month!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Even wagga wagga has recorded frosty temps in every month!
What are you meaning with "frost all months"?

Wagga Wagga can indeed get very cold summer nights that you won't ever see in Raleigh, nonetheless
it has 4 months (Dec,Jan,Feb,March) that haven't ever seen frost.
It's the opposite in winter, Where Raleigh can get very cold while Wagga Wagga has never gone below -6.3°C/20.7°F. (Period 1942-2016)

Raleigh is stable in Summer and unstable in winter.
Wagga Wagga is the opposite.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:25 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,278,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
This isnt fact, it is opinion. Your opinion. One I havent ever heard voiced anywhere other than in this thread, in my lifetime. I dont consider the alot of the sunbelt to be subarctic? Personally I wish florida, texas,georgia,arizona and the carolinas would start promoting these states as subarctic second rate climates, maybe it would slow the massive emigration into these states from up north. lol

People keep bringing up some historical freezes, how about look at the drought records of alot of these other subtropical paradises? Alot of places could easily be considered dry , mediterranean climates

9 of the the top 10 states with the highest rainfall are in the south, 10 of the the top 13 large metros with the highest rainfall averages are in the south , why is the occasional freeze worse than prolonged drought cycles?
I've brought this very subject up and haven't gotten much of a response from 80's Tom. These single digit freezes get brought up that happened more than 30 years ago. I haven't been alive the last time my area has seen single digits. This isn't an "every decade" thing. As for the subtropical paradise that is the Mediterranean... You couldn't begin to grow the majority of subtropical and tropical palms without human intervention. There are water shortages all the time in Greece. What happens when you start having to regulate the water? Stuff dies. Some parts of the Mediterranean are just short of being classified as a semi arid climate. Without human intervention, you can't grow sabal palmettos or any other water loving palm (which includes the majority of palms); and this isn't a twice in a century occurrence, this is every year. And a majority of the rain falls in winter time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather