Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I actually like a lot of weather variety contrary to what some might believe EXCEPT: Snow, Cold and Ice. Any other type of weather phenomenon I'm totally cool with
I like variety too. One day I want 75 and partly cloudy. The next day I want 65 and sunny. The day after that I want 85 with some clouds. After that I may want 65 or 75 again, but this time with a slight drizzle in the afternoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
It should never be a consideration in summer.
I'm not sure about the exact meaning in English, but do you guys necessarily associate the word "jacket" with something warm / heavy ? These days it's about low 20s C in the afternoon and I generally wear a jacket, but more like a polycotton jacket, a denim jacket or maybe a light rainjacket when necessary, but that is for spring and fall, it would not be enough below, say, 10c, even with layers underneath.

In the summer I generally don't need it because it normally stays warm enough at night, but in France it was common for me to pack a hoodie in the backpack just in case when I was going out at night in the summer, as it is usually cooler at night with large diurnal ranges. It is normal there to have like 17 / 32c in a july day for example.

But if I lived where Joe90 lives, maybe a light jacket would be sufficient in the coldest month, because it never really get seriously cold apparently.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:59 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
It's not that bad. So many people will confuse the largest city with the capital and viceversa, I don't think it's bad.
Point is, people should at least know the geography in their own country. Is it really that hard to know the capital of all 50 states?

Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Point is, people should at least know the geography in their own country. Is it really that hard to know the capital of all 50 states?
Yes, it is.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
I suppose it depends on whether it's important to know that. I guess most people don't care, and see no point in knowing, as it's unlikely to be useful to them, unless someone puts a gun to their head and says 'Name all 50 states, or you brain goes all over the wall'.

I'm a geography nerd, so naturally I know most capitals, and can name every European capital without fault, but I wouldn't expect most people to.

Plus, the US is quite large, so there's more to take in.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Yes, it is.
Why? You learn it here in middle school, and again in high school.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:08 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Why? You learn it here in middle school, and again in high school.
It's like my mother, who learned French in school, and could speak it almost fluently, cannot speak it now, bar a few words, because she never had much chance to use it, having been to France only one in her life.

Similar to knowing all 50 state capitals, or algebra, or complex equations - most people don't need that knowledge, and won't use it, so forget it, in favour of things they need to know, or want to know.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I suppose it depends on whether it's important to know that. I guess most people don't care, and see no point in knowing, as it's unlikely to be useful to them, unless someone puts a gun to their head and says 'Name all 50 states, or you brain goes all over the wall'.

I'm a geography nerd, so naturally I know most capitals, and can name every European capital without fault, but I wouldn't expect most people to.

Plus, the US is quite large, so there's more to take in.
I guess. It does get annoying to explain to morons down here that Minneapolis isn't some middle of nowhere hick town in Minnesota located in a forest where people live in snow and cold all year long. I think it's important to know basic geography because it make you look like less of a moron.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Im a geography nut but I couldnt name every capital in the US because some of them are towns in the middle of nowhere that have the population of a New york apartmend building. Omaha is a big city so it's important to know, but expecting people to know about Fort Pierre or Casper is a bit optimistic

Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Im a geography nut but I couldnt name every capital in the US because some of them are towns in the middle of nowhere that have the population of a New york apartmend building. Omaha is a big city so it's important to know, but expecting people to know about Fort Pierre or Casper is a bit optimistic
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather