Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Has anyone noticed that the OP of this thread indeed got the reaction they wanted. He wanted people coming on here saying Britain is all rain and drizzle or the summers stink blah blah. I'm just curious why that original poster, supposedly from the UK, didn't even know what kind of rain the UK got. Just bizarre to me.
Because there had been a fairly decent amount of time since the last anti-UK trolling thread. This place can't seem to go very long without some anti-UK crap. It happens in the world forums as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Because there had been a fairly decent amount of time since the last anti-UK trolling thread. This place can't seem to go very long without some anti-UK crap. It happens in the world forums as well.
I ask all of UK natives to confront repeatedly this supposed UK native as to expose them. You can ask things only someone who grew up in the UK would know.

My friend living in London went to the 80's in the moors concert this weekend in Cookham. Some great acts. The weather there based on the FB posts pictures looks as bad as here.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSamurai View Post
No, dream on. Maybe the low temps seen in the US South as per records were the lowest ever in the existence of the region on Earth, caused by a cold time. If you think that even areas like Miami have lower record lows than areas of the UK, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Well, London is a very old, established, prominent city, so events that occurred before modern records are well known (Shakespeare era, Charles Dickens era, etc). Yes, it is well known that London had the Thames freeze up right to central downtown, complete with frost fairs.

Check out the native vegetation of the English countryside; just your ordinary plants and animals, nothing exotic. That's how you can determine the actual climactic events that have happened in the UK.

It is what it is.
You are the one dreaming, or trolling, or both...

You seem to be ok with going back to prehistoric times to pull apart the UK climate, but for the US south you seem to think only more recent history matters...

It remains a FACT though that there are no completely accurate temperature records going back hundreds of years in the UK, there was no set method for recording temperatures like now, which is why only more recent records are officially used. You also cannot take what was written in works of fiction as gospel either, yes the UK had the "Little ice Age" when frost fairs were held on the Thames (not for a very long period) but you ignore the warm Medieval period that the UK had too...

Most of the US south has perfectly normal vegetation too, apart from the odd plant, it's hardly the Amazon jungle (with the exception of southern Florida which has tropical species)...

The US south is in no "cold epoch" the climate is what it is, as you say

I do hope you get to reply before you are banned (again)...

Old 05-22-2016, 05:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

You seem to be ok with going back to prehistoric times to pull apart the UK climate, but for the US south you seem to think only more recent history matters...

It remains a FACT though that there are no completely accurate temperature records going back hundreds of years in the UK, there was no set method for recording temperatures like now, which is why only more recent records are officially used. You also cannot take what was written in works of fiction as gospel either, yes the UK had the "Little ice Age" when frost fairs were held on the Thames (not for a very long period) but you ignore the warm Medieval period that the UK had too...

Most of the US south has perfectly normal vegetation too, apart from the odd plant, it's hardly the Amazon jungle (with the exception of southern Florida which has tropical species)...

Oh we may not have tropical species here but in the late spring and mid fall, up to the first freeze really, the forests are thick, impentrable, diverse. Pretty much a jungle in its own right. That's what tropical heat and rain does I'm simmer and why I love the summers here. Early European settlers confronted huge thick impenetrable forests in the southern us. Amount of undergrowth and vines and plants makes it have a tropical vibe

Old 05-22-2016, 06:12 PM

36 posts, read 54,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

Whatever to help you sleep better at night. Meanwhile, in the Southeast US, big reptiles like alligators are all over the place, spanish moss (from tropical Americas) dangles on the trees, fire ants from Brazil continually build mounds, and armadillos scurry around; you don't see that in a vanilla, white-bread landscape like the UK.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSamurai View Post
Whatever to help you sleep better at night. Meanwhile, in the Southeast US, big reptiles like alligators are all over the place, spanish moss (from tropical Americas) dangles on the trees, fire ants from Brazil continually build mounds, and armadillos scurry around; you don't see that in a vanilla, white-bread landscape like the UK.
This cool may has did one good thing for us, bring beautiful park weather, with temps in the upper 60s today and sun in the afternoon I realized the blessing the cool may had brought us. Then I realized something sombering, it would be the last beautiful park weather type day till September maybe even October. It made me jealous of London a bit , there summer weather is generally great for parks.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
I ask all of UK natives to confront repeatedly this supposed UK native as to expose them. You can ask things only someone who grew up in the UK would know.

My friend living in London went to the 80's in the moors concert this weekend in Cookham. Some great acts. The weather there based on the FB posts pictures looks as bad as here.
I not a UK native, but here's a question that should sort the wheat from the chaff -what was the way in which John and Elizabeth were transported by TIM, called?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I not a UK native, but here's a question that should sort the wheat from the chaff -what was the way in which John and Elizabeth were transported by TIM, called?
Well New Zealand is a colony of the U.K. like Australia so you guys are the next best thing lol. I should say actually still colonies if you don't have your own head of state. No American would know that. Seems quite a lot of kiwis and Aussies live and die with the Queen of England lol. Not so much here. You guys are soooo much more British than you are willing to admit lol. The Queen after all is your head of state. Same with the Canadians.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM

72 posts, read 58,143 times
Quote:
Well New Zealand is a colony of the U.K. like Australia so you guys are the next best thing lol. I should say actually still colonies if you don't have your own head of state. No American would know that. Seems quite a lot of kiwis and Aussies live and die with the Queen of England lol. Not so much here. You guys are soooo much more British than you are willing to admit lol. The Queen after all is your head of state. Same with the Canadians.
Although the Queen is the head of state, she holds little political power. Canada, New Zealand, and Australia are sovereign and self-governing nations for all practical purposes.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
London's winters seem unbearable to me. 50-70 hours of sun in each winter month is grim. It's kinda unfortunate because, for its latitude, London is rather warm in the winter.

With that being said, southern England (London, Portsmouth, etc) has tolerable and pleasant summers, even if they aren't that sunny (they still need more sunshine in summer). I disagree about southern England having "horrible summers". I'd rather spend a summer in London than in Brisbane, Hong Kong, Tampa and Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather