Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's this place's climate?
Oceanic 2 20.00%
Mediterranean 2 20.00%
Semi-Arid 2 20.00%
Humid Subtropical 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times

Advertisements

This is Wagga Wagga, in NSW.

Would you say that its climate is oceanic, humid subtropical or perhaps even Mediterranean that borderlines on semi-arid? On climate maps, it's usually listed under "temperate maritime", except that its summers are far too hot to be oceanic (summer mean is around 23C) and it also seems too dry to be Cfa (notice the average afternoon humidity).

Classifying this climate has always been tricky, at least to me. What do you think? How would you classify it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:51 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
A mix between Mediterranean and humid subtropical. It has Mediterranean temperatures, but the dry season isn't as pronounced. Let's just call it "subtropical"

Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
I'm tempted to call it Mediterranean, but it lacks the characteristic summer dryness -- the driest summer month has 40 mm of rain whereas the wettest winter month has 55 mm. The hottest month surpasses the 22 C isotherm required for humid subtropical though. I'd probably just call it temperate-semiarid. It might technically be Oceanic but it clearly has very little in common with London or Seattle. Still, I think the Oceanic category is a lot broader than most people seem to think.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:57 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I'm tempted to call it Mediterranean, but it lacks the characteristic summer dryness -- the driest summer month has 40 mm of rain whereas the wettest winter month has 55 mm. The hottest month surpasses the 22 C isotherm required for humid subtropical though. I'd probably just call it temperate-semiarid. It might technically be Oceanic but it clearly has very little in common with London or Seattle. Still, I think the Oceanic category is a lot broader than most people seem to think.
Under my 'Ultimate Climate Classification System', they are Btb, Subtropical Semi Arid Hot Summer. That fits looking at all the data

Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
A mix between Mediterranean and humid subtropical. It has Mediterranean temperatures, but the dry season isn't as pronounced. Let's just call it "subtropical"
Shouldn't humid subtropical climates be a bit humid?

Wagga Wagga's summers are barely moist. Afternoon humidity is mostly under 30%.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Under my 'Ultimate Climate Classification System', they are Btb, Subtropical Semi Arid Hot Summer. That fits looking at all the data
What would it be under Koppen though?

Old 11-25-2016, 05:53 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
It's too wet for semi-arid, so it's a humid subtropical climate thanks to its hot summers.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:42 PM

765 posts, read 574,635 times
It's either Cfa or BSk. The rainfall is too uniform through the year to be Csa, but you could make an argument in terms of rain days, there's 2.5x more rain days in July compared to January. There might also be too much rainfall for a semi-arid classification because I'm not 100% that I'm calculating it right. Maybe it makes sense, mathematically, to find the threshold like that, but it does seem pretty arbitrary.

I'm getting conflicting information from wiki in terms of semi-aridness, with 'h' either meaning a yearly mean temp >18C (which Wagga Wagga does not have) or meaning the coldest month has a mean temp >0C (which Wagga Wagga does have). So it could be BSh or BSk depending on what you might think best represents a climate. I'd go with the yearly mean personally.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:49 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
It's either Cfa or BSk. The rainfall is too uniform through the year to be Csa, but you could make an argument in terms of rain days, there's 2.5x more rain days in July compared to January. There might also be too much rainfall for a semi-arid classification because I'm not 100% that I'm calculating it right. Maybe it makes sense, mathematically, to find the threshold like that, but it does seem pretty arbitrary.

I'm getting conflicting information from wiki in terms of semi-aridness, with 'h' either meaning a yearly mean temp >18C (which Wagga Wagga does not have) or meaning the coldest month has a mean temp >0C (which Wagga Wagga does have). So it could be BSh or BSk depending on what you might think best represents a climate. I'd go with the yearly mean personally.
Köppen's demarkation point in case of Wagga Wagga is at 441.4 mm with the precipitation patterns it has (significant precipitation in the summer half, but a majority during winter).

My climate is oceanic (using the -3 marker) in spite of receiving only 90 % of Wagga Wagga's annual rainfall, so I don't see the contradiction in it being Cfa, given that Cfa is Dfa's warmer cousin.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,495,632 times
Seems to be a pretty solid Cfa to me. Not the most typical one, but Cfa nonetheless.

With 570mm and 104 rain days, and not a very high evaporation rate, it's too wet to be semi arid. It would need less than 451 mm to be semi arid according to Koeppen, this gets 573mm, close to 1.3X the threshold.

With such hot summers, high sunshine hours, high diurnal range and low humidity, it's not very oceanic. January averages 24C and highs are almost 32C, too hot to be oceanic.

48% of rain falls in the high sun half of the year, 52% falls in the low sun half. The driest summer month still gets 73% of the wettest winter month. Far above 1/3 or even any level arguable for Mediterranean.

Solid Cfa--modest precipitation, hot summers, and evenly distributed precipitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather