Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 07:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times

Advertisements

Pretty intense storm coming into my area. I took this about 10 minutes ago. The rain started really coming down right as I posted this. (Sorry for the huge image + windowscreen in the way)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I wonder why?
Not sure. I've seen it in non-swampy areas and away from water, but it was probably transplanted.

Here's some pics of Spanish moss I posted in an area where a swamp was filled in. http://www.city-data.com/forum/42102373-post681.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Pretty intense storm coming into my area. I took this about 10 minutes ago. The rain started really coming down right as I posted this. (Sorry for the huge image + windowscreen in the way)
Nice!

Last edited by ral31; 08-19-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-20-2016, 08:46 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times
Took these photos on Thursday evening before sunset.

Attached Thumbnails
2016 Summer Photo Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-firesun.png   2016 Summer Photo Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-firesun2.png  

Old 08-20-2016, 12:24 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Madison Beach

University Village

Old 08-20-2016, 02:57 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Went for a hike after dropping my brother off at the airport in Albuquerque. 5.6 miles with 1500 feet of elevation gain.

4th of July Canyon Trailhead with tall ponderosa pines

Bigtooth maple and gambel oak woodland

Sign that's seen better days

Entering the wilderness. Didn't see one other person on my hike.

More conifers at this elevation

Almost there...

On top of the crest, looking southwest

Guadalupe Peak and Mosca Peak on the left and right, respectively. I wanted to summit Mosca but it was another 600 vertical feet with a lot of bushwhacking. I was too tired at this point.

The strip of green is the Rio Grande floodplain

View to the northeast

Oaks and maples on the way down

Stopped at the Abo ruins on the way back to Socorro

Kiva

Old 08-20-2016, 03:10 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Went for a hike after dropping my brother off at the airport in Albuquerque. 5.6 miles with 1500 feet of elevation gain.

4th of July Canyon Trailhead with tall ponderosa pines

Bigtooth maple and gambel oak woodland

Sign that's seen better days

Entering the wilderness. Didn't see one other person on my hike.

More conifers at this elevation

Almost there...

Guadalupe Peak and Mosca Peak on the left and right, respectively. I wanted to summit Mosca but it was another 600 vertical feet with a lot of bushwhacking. I was too tired at this point.

View to the northeast

Kiva

Be careful there are mountain lions in that part of the country I believe.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post

Almost there...

View to the northeast

Kiva

Beautiful pictures. I've been in New Mexico during my summer trip out west each of the last 3 years. I love the scenery and the ruins are fascinating. You should post more pictures on here to break up the eastern us/uk forest snoozefest

Old 08-20-2016, 08:11 PM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Beautiful Lake Michigan

https://twitter.com/LaurelDelaney/st...29801538822145

Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
This time I have the pictures of a really short trip to the Sacra di San Michele. It is an abbey built on a mountain, in a particular point that makes it visible from all the low part of the valley. Of course this also means that you can see practically all the low part of the valley from there.
I didn't take any picture from the bottom of the valley because I had an old picture that I could recycle in here. Then I remembered that one month ago also Rozenn posted a spectacular picture of it, in here there is a link of it.

Altitude: nearly 1000 m = 3280 ft
temperature: nearly 25°C = 77°F. It was sunny and windy too.

^ if you see yellow - orange leaves around it is not for an early foliage. It is dryness. In the last picture there are also some strange brown fruits.

Spoiler

The terrain under the wood was really step. It is super easy to walk on the path for reaching the abbey, you can do the most of the road by car and just the last part by foot. Everything outside the path was really step instead, when I took this picture I was keeping my camera nearly horizontal, as if I was taking a picture of the shoes of someone just in front of me.

Spoiler

The abbey is literally built on the rock of the mountain, in several point you can see nude rocks.

Now, with these pictures I haven't shown you the fantastic view that there is from there. So, here we are:
in these two I was looking toward Turin. Yesterday the air in there looked better than usual, probably because it rained the day before and it was windy.

These one are taken on the other side, this one looking toward north

and this one looking west - north west.

Spoiler

Monks are really boring people.

"You will be strong in the silence and in the waiting".

Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Southern Italy is the only place where I've seen burned grass like that. So yeah, from now on, I'll associate burned grass with southern Italy... and London!
What about California?

Quote:
Great pics! How many miles was the trip?
Three days, about 200 miles. Well, there was a fourth day that I biked 50 miles but it was more of a bike ride than trip day.

Quote:
You never have issues finding a place to set up your tent?
Eh. I plan ahead to find camping spot, can make routing a bit awkward as they're often spread out.

Quote:
Looks like a great spot to place a weather station and see how cold it gets on clear, calm winter nights.
Good point, though. No station there, but the two nearby stations are in valleys with similar topography. Both have average lows around 5°F.

Quote:
Love the small town/city shots. There's a bigger, similarly named city in southern France, though it looks pretty different. I think I'd prefer living in the Vermont one, if only for the climate. I've heard the state is more liberal than nearby New Hampshire?
Yea, I made sure to add more town shots since posters have mentioned they like them.

The Vermont one is tiny, though the town center felt large for its size, drawing on the surrounding rural region + tourism + a boost for being the state capital.

Yes, it's more liberal than New Hampshire. Part of the reason is it's gotten a lot of liberal transplants, though the rural non-transplant areas usually vote Democratic by a decent margin. Many of those areas aren't exactly cosmpolitan; overall most of rural Vermont looked poorer than home, houses looked less fancy and a lot more trailer homes.

State was filled with political signs, but there were almost all on local elections; very few on the presidential election.

Quote:
Generally, much colder air aloft means more convection and easier for clouds to build up.
duh, should have known that. Still, plenty of times cold airloft doesn't have much clouds except for a few puffy clouds. Front that had just passed must have created more instability.

Quote:
Neat light and sky. Might be my fave from the bunch. Great light on the following morning ones, too.
Neat light is the price I have to pay for getting rained on, perhaps?

The foggy morning shots were from descending into the Connecticut River valley. I should try to pull up a satellite map of that morning, would I find a 200 mile line of fog?

Quote:
Looks much more northern than the other photos with taiga-looking forest and peatland. Did you make it to Quebec? Guess we'll find out soon.
Sadly, no. I didn't plan the trip very well, and I was too picky on acceptable biking weather. Anyhow, rest of the trip. Next morning another downhill into valley fog. Though this time I didn't enter the valley fog; or the fog burnt off by the time I got there

Getting near the Green Mountains. Not that tall, but run the length of the state and rise relatively steeply forming a "spine" for the state.

This old car parked where I had breakfast. The locals were fascinated by it. Met a old lady (late 70s?) wearing bike shorts who warned I'd be walking my bike up the steep road I had planned to go on later that day.

More Green Mountain views on the way this morning:

[spoiler]

=============================================

Mt. Mansfield

Time up: about 2 hours
Elevation Gain: 2700 feet
Distance: 2.5 mile
Start time: 11:20 AM

then spent some time on a loop along the summit ridge, total time out hiking (and stopping) was six hours

Trail was smoother than most big mountain White trails, though still rocky

got scrambly near the summit

views from the top were rather hazy, the first photo wasn't too bad

supposedly you could make out the Adirondacks and Whites but could make out some shapes of the Adirondacks with no detail while I couldn't see the Whites at all.

took an interesting side trail near the summit.

Spoiler

Tight squeeze

Mountainside much more developed than most of the Whites. Resort town is near the base and then there were ski resort complexes much of the way on the road to the trailhead. Ski resorts come up with alternate ways down the mountain for summer:

More rocky trail

Spoiler

summit

ridge north of the summit

With almost two miles above treeline plus exposed rock on the side, was more rugged than I'd expect for its height. After coming back down, there was still a bit of climbing after the trailhead to the top of th notch. Not much more elevation, but it was very steep. Could see some rock on the notch walls

road narrows to one lane with sharp switchbacks. The grade maxes out at about 17% and the inside of the switchbacks are even steper. Made it to the first couple switchabacks, but then one of them was too much and I had to walk. Could pushed but if I could make it, the bicycle would tip over. If I could use the whole road it would lower gradient but there was too much traffic. The Green Mountain notches (passes) are steeper than the White Mountains passes for some reason. Haven't seen another busy mountain road narrow so much. Made it to the top:

Spoiler

Woman warning I'd walk was right. Descent was a bit less steep, though still steep and curvy near the top. Views of Mansfield from the west

Spoiler

================================================== =============

In Burlington, Vermont. It's a university town but it felt less dominated by the university than many university towns as it was also the largest city in the state. Though has a left-wing hippie reputation. Obviously small, but felt busy for its size. Lake Champlain waterfront

some town buildings

Spoiler
old train station, unused for trains but used for art exhibits. May get trains in a couple years

new buildings downtown

old buildings

mural on buildingsides

Pagan ritual?

Are they worshipping the Adirondacks? Lake? Or somehting else? The stones tell the time accurately but are unadjusted to daylight savings time.

bike path railing

in the other direction

Spoiler

Much hotter and more humid today. But the lake was swimmable. Lake temperature reported at 75°F but felt colder

Spoiler

care for some wine?

I made it to the "ferry to NY" though didn't take the ferry

The bike path runs for 2-3 miles on the lake with a short break requiring a ferry. more bike path

Spoiler

back in Burlington. Skate park. A lot of the skaters kept falling off.

evening looking at the Adirondacks

bike path on the waterfront

Burlington has a five block stretch of a pedestrain-only street lined with shops and restaurant. Surprised how busy it was, the city did a very job with its center

a

Spoiler

sunset over Lake Champlain

street near the waterfront looked like it had the oldest buildings in the city; I assume the city started along the lake waterfront

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather