Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
70 in Phoenix in any winter month feels cool in comparison to 70 in Flagstaff in May or June
Maasive difference in solar strength. Though the OP's case is the opposite (Stronger sun in Shanghai feels cooler )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
You don't even have to go to China to feel the difference. When it's 55 degrees in Alaska we're wearing shorts and a t-shirt and we're sweating. 55 degrees in Arizona and they're wearing parkas over sweaters and shivering.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You don't even have to go to China to feel the difference. When it's 55 degrees in Alaska we're wearing shorts and a t-shirt and we're sweating. 55 degrees in Arizona and they're wearing parkas over sweaters and shivering.
I can't even laugh at this because it's true. I lost any cold sensitivity after my first year living here, and yes 55 is like an arctic blast here

Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Having lived in Toronto I can agree with the OP.

I remember some sunny 0c days in winter and it felt quite nice, I used to walk with my coat wide open and no hat / scarf.

Here sometimes 10c days in november can feel already quite cold.

That's why I prefer high diurnal ranges, because the dewpoint is lower and it is less humid overall. That's what I'm used to having lived elsewhere and it feels more comfortable to me.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
Humidity is one of the biggest culprits, plus wind and also the local environment (cities are usually warmer than the hinterlands). Also the human body adjusts to the climate fairly quickly, so going from three months of 0 degree weather to suddenly 10 degree (c) is going to feel much different than a group of people used to tropical conditions and suddenly experiencing freezing temps.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 913 times
Default Feeling colder in dry climates is not psychological - it's real

This is just my own theory, but as a trained Mechanical Engineer, we learn that heat is transferred in 3 ways; conduction (touching something cold feels cold because it is drawing the heat out of your hand), convection (having cold air blown on you draws the heat out of you, so feels cold) and radiation (standing in the sun feels warm). We accept the idea of wind chill, which is convection. When there is high wind, the "wind chill" temperature is colder than ambient temp. Yet, we don't recognize similar effects of another form of heat transfer, radiation. Heat transfer via radiation is by electromagnetic waves, so it is not dependent upon distance, but it is more dependent upon temperature difference between the two entities exchanging heat. So when you're out in the sun (which is at 10,000 degrees F), heat is transferred to your skin, which is at ~100 deg F. You will also notice that it is dependent upon line of sight, meaning if you move to the shade, you don't feel the warmth any more. This mechanism also works the other way at night, where heat radiates FROM your skin into outer space, which is at absolute zero temperature (- 460 deg F). This effect is more prominent in dry climates. Since radiant heat transfer is dependent upon line of sight, if there is humidity (or cloud cover) it acts as a blanket and blocks the heat transfer.

My explanation proposes a new "radiation chill" that works the same as "wind chill", and simply explains the same phenomena working with a different heat transfer mechanism.

Sam Melehy

Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I think it's because of the climate.

I guess that 3 °C in Moscow would feel much warmer than 3 °C in Melbourne.

Same thing, I guess 28 °C in London would feel much hotter than 28 °C in Seville.
No it wouldn't because Seville has a higher sun angle than London. Hell 28°C in Seville will feel warmer than 28°C in New York given that the humidity and the sky are the same for the 3 locations.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Temperatures around 80-85 F / 27-29 C.

I remember it was July 2, 2017, near solar noon (about 1 pm). It was 84 F / 29 C, but two things made it feel much hotter: the dewpoint was 74 F / 23 C, and it was sunny at solar noon near the summer solstice, meaning the sun was nearly at its strongest point for the entire year. The heat was nearly unbearable in the sun; the heat index was officially 91 F / 33 C, but it felt more like 95-100 F / 35-38 C.

July 30, 2017 around solar noon was about the same temperature, but felt much less hot. It felt mildly hot but not unbearable. The dewpoint was 58 F / 14 C, making the heat index 83 F / 28 C. In the shade it felt good, and in the sun it wasn't that bad.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Maybe their thermometers are calibrated wrongly in some countries.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:47 PM

7,211 posts, read 3,085,515 times
I heard from a few people that in Serbia feeling of cold is bigger at 0c than in US and Canada at -5c or even lower temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather