Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate battle: Bloemfontein v Canberra
Bloemfontein 2 22.22%
Canberra 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 05:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times

Advertisements

Bloemfontein and Canberra have the coldest winter average lows of main cities in their respective countries - South Africa and Australia, but which do you prefer? Interestingly, despite similarities in climates in the latitudes that they share, I don't think South Africa has a climate much like Canberra or Australia one much like Bloemfontein.

Bloemfontein is the judicial capital of South Africa, it sits at 1351 m altitude (Bram Fischer International Airport) on the southern edge of the Highveld, about 420 km from the nearest Indian Ocean coastline to the SE. It has a BSk/Cwa borderline climate with a strong summer rainfall bias. Winters are dry with average lows falling below freezing in June and July which is very cold for South Africa , however a large diurnal range means days are fairly warm. Bloemfontein is very sunny year round.

Canberra is the federal capital of Australia, located at an altitude of 578 m (Canberra Airport) near the Brindabella Rages of the Australian Alps, with the Pacific Ocean about 100 km away to the SE. Though Canberra's yearly rainfall is almost the same as Bloemfonteinm, it is fairly evenly distributed in the year resulting in a dryish Cfb climate as rainfall in the cooler part of the year is more effective, and Canberra is about 2C cooler by yearly mean. Winter average lows are not as cold as Bloemfontein, not dropping below freezing, but a smaller diurnal range means both the means and especially highs are not as warm. Canberra is quite sunny but considerably less so than Bloemfontein and there is more of a seasonal variation in sunshine with winter getting markedly less than summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 09:06 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Cambra for having cooler summers.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:10 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Hmmmm... I like the battle, but there are some places that are latitudinally and altitudinally closer to Bloemfontein than Canberra... Armidale ( 920m asl and 30.3*S ) and Guyra ( 1330m asl and 30.12*S )
ARMIDALE, NSW

GUYRA, NSW

And an inland desert climate at reasonable altitude (676m asl and 26.17*S) :
Pukatja (formerly Ernabella)

Old 03-16-2023, 03:36 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
I think this one is about a 50/50 for me and not a good one. Both are equally far from my ideal 4 season climate of Oshawa.

They do have good averages for the warmest months though. 21.4-22.8C is right within my ideal range.

Old 03-17-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Hmmmm... I like the battle, but there are some places that are latitudinally and altitudinally closer to Bloemfontein than Canberra... Armidale ( 920m asl and 30.3*S ) and Guyra ( 1330m asl and 30.12*S )
ARMIDALE, NSW

GUYRA, NSW

And an inland desert climate at reasonable altitude (676m asl and 26.17*S) :
Pukatja (formerly Ernabella)
Thanks! I didn't necessarily choose these two for being the most similar though they are the most similar capitals/largish centres.

Armidale is a little more similar in temperatures and rainfall but it still doesn't have the same kind of dry winter with warm days and cold nights. Pukatja is a lot drier but it does have the right kind of rainfall and winter diurnal temperature range pattern, but without the winter lows below freezing.

I don't think there's any location in South Africa that has the combination of being inland, fairly high and having a Cfb climate like Canberra.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:10 AM

Canberra is winning 4-1 at the moment. I thought Bloemfontein's subfreezing winter lows and warm highs would have more fans.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Canberra for me - a climate more conductive to skiing.

Would be interesting to see if Bloemfontein could support citrus, as it's dry, sunny, and warm maximums in winter could possibly offset the cold nights - probably not, I would think.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Canberra for me - a climate more conductive to skiing.

Would be interesting to see if Bloemfontein could support citrus, as it's dry, sunny, and warm maximums in winter could possibly offset the cold nights - probably not, I would think.
They don't grow commercially but there are some fruiting, historic (over 100th year old) orange trees in Bloemfontein. They're in the courtyard of a historic building so probably get some extra warmth, but to survive that long and grow so large I would think it can't be that marginal. See historic orange trees in Bloemfontein

Snow is rare, and there are no mountains nearby so skiing would be no good. I expect Canberra gets more snow as it has more winter moisture.

Old 03-23-2023, 02:58 PM

Some kind of citrus, looks like a orange to me in suburban Bloem without special protection: https://www.google.com/maps/@-29.154...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-23-2023, 04:01 PM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
They don't grow commercially but there are some fruiting, historic (over 100th year old) orange trees in Bloemfontein. They're in the courtyard of a historic building so probably get some extra warmth, but to survive that long and grow so large I would think it can't be that marginal. See historic orange trees in Bloemfontein

Snow is rare, and there are no mountains nearby so skiing would be no good. I expect Canberra gets more snow as it has more winter moisture.
Canberra gets the odd fall of snow, but in reality the altitude is too low for snowfalls to be a regular occurrance. Settling snow is rare in the City itself.
The nearby Brindabella Ranges are between 1000m and 1900m asl and are snowcapped in the winter months and are a lovely site from down town Canberra City

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather