Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I think a lot of posters here are too centered on just one area of the world. Diversify, we live in a world full of an amazing variety of weather!
Well this is an English language forum, so that does restrict things a bit. It also doesn't help that Europe is a bunch of small land area countries with a bunch of different languages.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, that might be, but I assume that the hotel will be well maintained. Not a architectural masterpiece, but a good paveway to further development. Though one has to remember that Finland has very little experience in building +12 storey buildings.

The Hotel Torni (Tower) in Tampere is neither anything fancy. But Tampere has very ambitious high-rise plans.

Meanwhile, that proposal in Leeds looks AWESOME! I'd love to see that in Helsinki, Turku or Tampere. Manhattan came immediately into my mind too.

And nice to see old industrial areas brought to new life indeed. Often those are brutal city life destroyers.

The old diesel engine factory at the riverfront in Turku is soon finished. Almost all flats sold. And they aren't cheap.

https://www.instagram.com/lofttehdas/
You have to start somewhere. There are some really ugly buildings in Leeds but over the years they've become better quality, and now there are some really great buildings going up. Is there much opposition to tall buildings in Finnish cities? Leeds city council have special designated areas for tall buildings, so they don't ruin the view of old buildings too much.

And the old factory conversion looks great! It's usually old mills here being turned into flats, and of course they are never cheap.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I posted a few pics in the Autumn photo thread, but once that and the Autumn thread started getting spammed with frost maps by Cambium et al, I decided to leave you guys to it.
Yeah, I've started appreciating Rozenn's posts when he does post. The south of France gives a good latitude comparison to Cambium/southern New England given that they are almost the exact same at 40-45 degrees north.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Well this is an English language forum, so that does restrict things a bit. It also doesn't help that Europe is a bunch of small land area countries with a bunch of different languages.
I'm still the only asean (somewhat) active poster here. maybe even in the whole asia?

still introducing this forum to.some of my friends though. international program class, should be easier than in highschool.

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 10-20-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You have to start somewhere. There are some really ugly buildings in Leeds but over the years they've become better quality, and now there are some really great buildings going up. Is there much opposition to tall buildings in Finnish cities? Leeds city council have special designated areas for tall buildings, so they don't ruin the view of old buildings too much.

And the old factory conversion looks great! It's usually old mills here being turned into flats, and of course they are never cheap.
The demolition boom hasn't really got started outside Tampere, Vantaa and some smaller cities, but I think it's only a matter of time when greenie-leftist skinny jeans latte-sipping hipsters come into power.

Similarly in Helsinki as in Leeds, the old historical centre will not see tall buildings, but on the outskirts of it there isn't much opposition anymore. In Tampere there's hardly any opposition, but Turku and Oulu are still very anti high-rise.

The area in Pasila (10 min north by train from the centre) is launched for an architectural competition in January, with ambitions becoming "the second centre" of Helsinki.

Helsinki High-rise (beta)

In the background on that web page you see the other high-rise cluster (already being built), and the first tower was sold out even before beginning of building, proving the massive interest in high-rise development.

In Turku the foundations are currently being built here near the castle. Interesting to see what this area will look like in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROgte7oyrIs

I took pics two years ago about the old renovated wooden/stone houses nearby, and NOTHING has happened in the area until now. But nice to see this part getting finally started, the area is a disgrace currently in an area so close to the 800-yo castle. What is interesting is that the block named 'the harpoon' was already in the 1827 city plan, and finally almost 200 years later it's being built!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
^^ very ambitious scheme. I remember there being a scheme in Leeds where all the flats sold out, then the 2008 recession hit and the entire scheme fell through. Just a word of warning.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:17 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Just watching a hilarious episode of 'Walker, Texas Ranger' on TV (mainly for the comedy value) & part of it is set in Northern Ireland with the IRA. Of course all filmed in the US with American actors doing bizarre accents that sound a mix of American/Scottish & god knows what else & every establishing shot (filmed in NI) has fake rain put over it lol

Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
^^ very ambitious scheme. I remember there being a scheme in Leeds where all the flats sold out, then the 2008 recession hit and the entire scheme fell through. Just a word of warning.
Luckily this has happened post recession. Delayed yes, but never abandoned.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times

Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM

171 posts, read 133,626 times
One of my old classmates, who seems to have it all, a marriage, a career, a family, new cars, a house, you know, established in life and seemingly having it ALL, and making no secret of the fact on Facebook, recently posted a video on Facebook of her 2 year old kid spewing the F word already. Yes, it's cute now, but damn, I see trouble. In a few years, that kid will be a disrespectful turd, and in a decade will be doing drugs, sleeping around, hating the parents, family politics and drama, dysfunction, tearing apart the perfect marriage and making life hell for these facebook warriors. I love it

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying my single life, grilling on the Weber looking out over the river at nature and the rising full moon, having friends over, watching cable and DVDs and not having a care in the world. I do love it

Last edited by BulkBeerDrinker; 10-21-2016 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather