Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, I wasn't assuming homogenous ethnicity implies quiet politics, just that I assumed politics was mostly non-extreme and rather quiet
No no, I wasn't saying that you'd be assuming that, I just used snj90 as an example as he expressed an imaginary utopia that a homogenous society would be unified towards the better good. It is not so.

The politics and the social differences here are not as extreme than in the US, but the people are. We well-being liberal southerners can hardly speak with the frustrated conservative masses of the north. And even us southerners aren't that well off. My arch-enemy, the City of Lahti has close to 20% unemployment and close to 50% youth unemployment. Many have the attitude "f**k all this sh*t, I don't care anymore. F**k the system'.

Quote:
I assume foreigner is defined as born outside Finland?
Foreign language, ie people who claim their native language other than Finnish or Swedish or Sami.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:25 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No no, I wasn't saying that you'd be assuming that, I just used snj90 as an example as he expressed an imaginary utopia that a homogenous society would be unified towards the better good. It is not so.

The politics and the social differences here are not as extreme than in the US, but the people are. We well-being liberal southerners can hardly speak with the frustrated conservative masses of the north. And even us southerners aren't that well off. My arch-enemy, the City of Lahti has close to 20% unemployment and close to 50% youth unemployment. Many have the attitude "f**k all this sh*t, I don't care anymore. F**k the system'.

Foreign language, ie people who claim their native language other than Finnish or Swedish or Sami.
Wow, that's a lot worse than anywhere in the UK.

Worst place in the UK is Middlesbrough, where the unemployment rate is 10% and youth unemployment is 25%.

Here is what the local wildlife looks like:

Old 12-03-2016, 06:31 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
I have a soft spot for Middlesbrough. Had an epic career with them on Football Manager a few years back

dunno// do you support Leeds United?

Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
No, I don't follow football. Leeds United are crap anyway.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Wow, that's a lot worse than anywhere in the UK.

Worst place in the UK is Middlesbrough, where the unemployment rate is 10% and youth unemployment is 25%.

Here is what the local wildlife looks like:
Lahti is a special case. A big chunk of the populace are descendants from refugees from Karelia, the city has no institutions of higher education, drug abuse is the highest in the country, and it's a very narrow-minded place in all. I would feel bad about the city if it wasn't our secondly mortal enemy in football. If you go to Lahti and say you're from Helsinki, you have a big chance being beaten up.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:08 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDH-vwVCKdU

Such a ridiculous film.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The politics and the social differences here are not as extreme than in the US, but the people are. We well-being liberal southerners can hardly speak with the frustrated conservative masses of the north.
Is Sweden similar in its divisions? My image of Sweden is rather placid. As for wealth and poverty, both the poorest (by poverty rate) and richest (by per capita income) congressional districts in the country are both in New York City.

Quote:
Hmm. I like that better than born outside the country, because it tracks assimilation better. That way those who were born elsewhere as a little kid but speak mostly English (and probably spend much of their time with non-immigrants get counted as foreign) while those who grew up here but live in an immigrant bubble still count as foreign.

Massachusetts is 15% foreign born, 22% speak a language not English at home

Old 12-03-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

Such a ridiculous film.
By ridiculous you probably mean AWESOME?

It's almost as good as Tebaatusatula:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfEVphpYKU

Old 12-03-2016, 07:29 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Singham is a ridiculously amazing film; I force some my friends to watch the entire thing and they loved it so much that one of them bought the 2nd one, which turned out to be crap.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Quote:
Is Sweden similar in its divisions? My image of Sweden is rather placid. As for wealth and poverty, both the poorest (by poverty rate) and richest (by per capita income) congressional districts in the country are both in New York City.
The further north you go the more left the people get. The right and the Sweden Democrats are biggest in the southernmost part (Scania). People in Northern Sweden often have a kind of spite for southern Sweden because "everyone is racist and violent there". Northern Sweden is usually overlooked by the state and southerners so that also plays a part I guess. Wealth is fairly evenly distributed throughout the country though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather