Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Binghamton, NY, USA vs. Valparaíso, Chile
Binghamton 20 57.14%
Valparaíso 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:55 PM

795 posts, read 739,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't see how anyone can prefer Binghamton...freezing and 83" snow....have people voting for Binghamton lived in a climate like that where you have to shovel your driveway and sidewalk most winter mornings before you leave for work?
Binghamton is colder and gets more snow than what I'd consider ideal, but it's still better than getting no snow at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 AM

680 posts, read 649,356 times
Valparaíso, easily. Summers and winters are way more comfortable in Valparaíso. There are not too many climates in the United States that are as comfortable as what is found in Valparaíso.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:24 AM

135 posts, read 90,650 times
Binghamton by far.

Gah I hate everything about San Francisco, including the weather.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't see how anyone can prefer Binghamton...freezing and 83" snow....have people voting for Binghamton lived in a climate like that where you have to shovel your driveway and sidewalk most winter mornings before you leave for work?
Lived in a similar climate... not a big fan of the long, cold gray winters, but I enjoyed the frequent snowfalls. Also, renters often don't have to shovel.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
cool video of mountain biking through the steep narrow streets of Valparaíso. Looks like a very colorful city. First minute or so is just talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-YTcSnE6c

Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Lived in a similar climate... not a big fan of the long, cold gray winters, but I enjoyed the frequent snowfalls. Also, renters often don't have to shovel.
But at least Valparaiso are 2-3 hours away from the permanent snow cover of the Andes,with several Ski Stations.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
I like polls with more nuanced differences, like a poll between two subtropical climates. This is just a "winter hater", "winter lover", battle between two very different climates.

I'm not voting as it is just the usual discussion between the two groups.

And Alex, you are right, and one thing I have learned from this forum, is that people have very different climate preferences. I have to become better about understanding that and respecting peoples preferences.

I think constantly walking to work and having my back sweatsoaked makes me realize what you have to put up with for months on end. Not that I don't love humidity and tstorms, but it is a real kick in the a.. when you have to work in it and not laze around a beach all day.

Come up and visit Philly in the Fall. You will love it.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:36 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I like polls with more nuanced differences, like a poll between two subtropical climates. This is just a "winter hater", "winter lover", battle between two very different climates.

I'm not voting as it is just the usual discussion between the two groups.

And Alex, you are right, and one thing I have learned from this forum, is that people have very different climate preferences. I have to become better about understanding that and respecting peoples preferences.

I think constantly walking to work and having my back sweatsoaked makes me realize what you have to put up with for months on end. Not that I don't love humidity and tstorms, but it is a real kick in the a.. when you have to work in it and not laze around a beach all day.

Come up and visit Philly in the Fall. You will love it.
I appreciate that - and I will have to make it a mission to. I have an uncle that lives in DC so whenever I visit him I'll make sure to stop by Philly. I'll try to visit him in November or so.

I actually like thunderstorms and humidity too, it's when it lasts into October and November that it gets annoying. It can be as hot and humid as it wants from June-August though. Though I do like an early peak in heat, like perhaps early-mid July.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
cool video of mountain biking through the steep narrow streets of Valparaíso. Looks like a very colorful city. First minute or so is just talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-YTcSnE6c
Valparaiso really is colorful, especially in the old historic part. I want to go there one day to snap pictures, since last time my camera was broken. There are A LOT of hills here, walking home is quite a workout

Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I actually like thunderstorms and humidity too, it's when it lasts into October and November that it gets annoying. It can be as hot and humid as it wants from June-August though. Though I do like an early peak in heat, like perhaps early-mid July.
I totally get what you mean, humidity is cool...but only in the summer. I wouldn't want to live in a place that gets 90s year round, or even 90s in the shoulder seasons, in the summer it's enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather