Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,021,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just to give you an idea .. This is where Hartford's is located. Too close?
I don't think it is too close & any heat is going to be a brief blast propelled directly behind the plane. If it had an effect surely you would see a frequent & very brief spike in temperatures as each plane takes off/lands? And it would effect night time temperatures too (if the airport has night flights).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not sure, but the fact that the two highest temperatures recorded in the UK both occurred in parks/rural areas suggests to me that it doesn't have that big of an impact. I believe Heathrow airport has the warmest average highs in the UK but is not always the hottest station - for example, during the most recent 'heatwave', the hottest place in the UK was actually a small village. Yes, an explanation from a meteorologist would be helpful.
Kew Gardens has warmer average highs than Heathrow for most of the year. Heathrow is equal June-August. London Weather Centre had warmer highs than both in all months of the year, I'm sure St James's Park does as well.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
And if it doesn't make a difference that's even more interesting to me and impressive. How can something (an area) generate that much heat (over 110°F) and not affect a thermometer. I had my station 5 feet above my roof and was getting crazy high readings. I assume the fan they have takes care of the "false heat".

I'd love to hear Dan from NWS (kamsack) take on this.
I'll have to ask our ET crew but my understanding is that the impact must be negligble and/or compensated by the fan in the instrumentation. But having never seen an AWOS or ASOS equipment up close and never worked on them my knowledge is not great.

Here is some info I found about equipment siting
Why Is the Observing Site Important?

Siting automated sensors is critical to providing an observation that is representative of the entire airport area. The favored location is near the touchdown zone of the main instrument runway. If that location does not consistently provide representative weather observations for most of the runway complex, an alternate site can be selected. At airports with great weather variations due to nearby rivers, lakes, oceans or terrain, additional sensors can be installed to provide a more accurate observation.

Automated Surface Observations

Afraid I cannot add more as I simply dont know any more as a forecaster we are not taught the interworkings of the ASOS in that detail.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,531 times
So, as far as I know there are now six official NWS stations located in or near NYC:

KNYC
KJRB
KLGA
KJFK
KTEB
KEWR

Of course, there are a lot more in the "extended metro area," for example, ISP, FRG, HWV, BDR, DXR, etc, but for obvious reasons I don't count those...

Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Quote:
What I can never understand is how stations are at the airport. I dont care if its on the lawn or installed with a fan, Do you know the amount of heat planes and runways produce? Its not natural heat and the wind pushes all that "unnatural" heat around.

Very little difference between MDW and the UofC. If anything the UofC campus is warmer and is located much closer to the lake than MDW is (2 miles away as opposed to 9 miles).

Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
So which station is 'the' official NYC station then?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
^^

Central Park been so since 1919. When they say new "official" station they mean it's now a quality controlled and monitored station by the NWS

Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Central Park been so since 1919. When they say new "official" station they mean it's now a quality controlled and monitored station by the NWS
People are beginning to take note of Central Park's tainted and inconsistent measurements caused by the surrounding vegetation. Something needs to be done about it, but unfortunately it's out of the control of the NWS.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
This station might typically read cooler temperatures than Central Park since it's above water. Yep, looks like the Wall Street heliport station had slightly cooler maxes. But slightly warmer lows

Old 07-31-2016, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
So which station is 'the' official NYC station then?
Think all the ASOS stations count as "official" but Central Park has the longest record and is in the most central location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather