Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Which is normal for this time of year.... NYC has been well above average, more so than here, for a long time.
It was below normal (plus wind) today, the average high for today is 46F, but that's besides the point, it hasn't been cold so it's a bit of a shock. At least your normals aren't as cold, even if you haven't been as warm as we have (compared to normal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It was below normal (plus wind) today, the average high for today is 46F, but that's besides the point, it hasn't been cold so it's a bit of a shock. At least your normals aren't as cold, even if you haven't been as warm as we have (compared to normal).
I suppose so, still cold here today with temps similar to yours. I bundled up though and didn't feel much cold. how are your plants doing? I'm sure you are bringing some stuff in tonight? At its lowest point NYC has an average high of 38 right? so you still have 8 degrees more to go before you reach your lowest point, yet here in Raleigh our lowest daily average is 50 during the first week of January and it stays there for a week. Our current average high is 55, only 5 more degrees to go compared to NYCs 8. Wonder why such a difference, maybe because of your coastal location offering a bit of lag time?

Old 12-09-2016, 03:05 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
I know, I just don't understand why. Maybe the weather forecasters have been hyping this night as cold and like mindless sheep they listen? Low teens are typical for a winter minimum so definitely would be notable for December but not anything notable for the climate. We got down to 24 in November and no one freaked out, tonight is only forecast a couple degrees cooler and even then some other sites show us at 24 rather than 22. Don't understand the fuss, pretty run of the mill blast for December, low 40s for highs and lows in the low 20s.
I've noticed southern weather forecasters tend to overhype cold. I remember when I lived in North GA, the news weather forecasters would act like a 25 F low in January was a big deal, but wouldn't bat an eyelash at a 65-70 degree day in January was rather odd.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:27 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I've noticed southern weather forecasters tend to overhype cold. I remember when I lived in North GA, the news weather forecasters would act like a 25 F low in January was a big deal, but wouldn't bat an eyelash at a 65-70 degree day in January was rather odd.
I feel like they hype it all.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Last winter...

Nov 23, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This may be the type of winter where it snows here and melts soon after. Which sounds more typical then a long duration snow pack. Makes sense if we're going to get ups and down swings as opposed to a consistent NW flow.

Dec 23, 2015

Quote:
Here's a look at how the Jet Stream has been for many months... Buckling Trough in West with Cold and Snow

This is for tonight. Warm surge in East

Jan 11. 2016

Quote:
Does anyone have a white flag for me to use? You can take it back after I hang myself with it.

Jan 15, 2016

Quote:
Ready to wave it with me?

This year...

I think there were subtle but obvious signs in Fall of these dips and an entire pattern change happening on a larger scale. We were not getting them till September & October where the Eastern Ridge looked like it was getting squashed and the troughs looked stronger and stronger then became more and more frequent in November and now here we are in Winter looking to be locking in on cold snowy pattern in Eastern U.S since Thanksgiving.

Sept 17, 2016

Quote:
Did you see the latest Euro now? Oh man, my beak is starting to drool. If this was winter this setup would be ............ I'll stop there.

Sept 25, 2016

Quote:
I'm starting to drool at some signs.
October 6, 2016

Quote:
Dont let my drool be worth nothing! Dip baby Dip!!

October 13, 2016

Quote:
We can't deny the pattern that is making my drool heavier. In my experience when I see a pattern change, things don't happen right away but there are signs of it. I started seeing the signs 2 weeks ago. Perfect timing IMO for a winter adrenaline rush.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:40 PM

Now........ this is early next week..... That Polar Jet Stream will push even more south and hopefully that means PERFECT for me because a storm track along the Jet Stream with me being on the north side of it means all snow not this change to rain BS. PUSH!!

This is why Kentucky might see snow mid next week. Jet needs to push south more. PUSH!

Not too far, then Mid Atlantic gets snow and I don't. lol

Old 12-09-2016, 04:45 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
The last time Oklahoma City had an hourly observation above 35F was 48 hours ago. While this cold snap isn't as impressive as it is in places further north, it's still pretty nice. And it's generally been cloudy, which magnifies the feel of the cold.

Quote:
Still not at 100 percent bare. Some oaks even have green leaves despite multiple freezes.
Same here. But the cold the past few days will surely speed things up. I noticed one maple that still had mostly green leaves that now seems to have severe frost damage. The leaves on that tree will probably turn brown and fall off soon.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Season low 28° on the 4th

7:45pm and Im at 29° which is the low for the day.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:03 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
Didn't get past 48F here today.

Low last night was 31F, not as cold as was being predicted earlier this week. Should be colder tonight with a forecast low of 26F.

I'm hoping we at least get below 25F at some point this December.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 PM

763 posts, read 379,777 times
The high today here was 27 and it's supposed to be 16 tonight. It feels so much more like December than last year's December. We got a thin coating of snow this morning that stuck to the secondary roads and the grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather