Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 11:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times

Advertisements

I remember Bernie sanders described open borders as "right-wing" and many liberals were confused

https://berniesanders.com/open-borde...ot-a-solution/

But he doesn't view social issues as important

Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,465,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I will not translate that
This thread is literally the only Google result for that word.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I remember Bernie sanders described open borders as "right-wing" and many liberals were confused

https://berniesanders.com/open-borde...ot-a-solution/

But he doesn't view social issues as important
Funny. You won't get many people here describing open borders as a right-wing idea, though I can certainly see the rationale behind it with regards to cheap labour.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:30 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,511,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
This thread is literally the only Google result for that word.
Because it's a mixture of three words but I am not going to translate any of them except 'ö' which means both the umlaut letter and 'island' in Swedish

Old 10-08-2016, 12:34 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,511,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, let me give you an example.

Richmond-upon-Thames is a London borough - highly educated, affluent and tends to vote Conservative. However, this same area voted to remain in the EU very strongly. It is 'liberal right'. People in this area will be economically centrist/centre-right, but socially liberal - they are fine with immigration, gay marriage etc.

Compare that to some areas of rural England that vote Conservative and voted to leave the EU very strongly. These areas are conservative right. They don't like immigration, and are less progressive socially. They place more emphasis on traditional values. They will accuse people in Richmond of being 'snobby elites' (even though most of them are just middle-class people who work for a living like everyone else).

The two people might vote for the same party but they have very little or nothing in common. They have totally different priorities and ideas. That kind of reflects the Tory party in general - it is very divided. Half of the party wanted to leave the EU an the other half wanted to remain. David Cameron was part of the 'liberal right'.
70 % of the Tory electorate voted out, and formed a strong alliance with the 2015 UKIP voters outside of Greater London. However, the outer London borough Bexley and many outlying areas of the London urban area such as Dartford voted resoundly to leave.

I've heard only 30 % of Labour voters voted leave, but looking at a place like Barnsley for example let's say that around 50 % are Labour and around 90 % of the rest are anti-EU Tories/UKIP voters. Then it only takes about half of the Labour voters at the location to get a landslide majority. They are still a pretty sizeable number though, and I'd suggest many of those voters will be attracted by the Tories with regards to the next election. But in your seat there would be no need for a so-called progressive alliance. Labour always wins Leeds. But winning back Morley & Outwood with Corbyn as leader? No way

Old 10-08-2016, 12:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
70 % of the Tory electorate voted out, and formed a strong alliance with the 2015 UKIP voters outside of Greater London. However, the outer London borough Bexley and many outlying areas of the London urban area such as Dartford voted resoundly to leave.

I've heard only 30 % of Labour voters voted leave, but looking at a place like Barnsley for example let's say that around 50 % are Labour and around 90 % of the rest are anti-EU Tories/UKIP voters. Then it only takes about half of the Labour voters at the location to get a landslide majority. They are still a pretty sizeable number though, and I'd suggest many of those voters will be attracted by the Tories with regards to the next election. But in your seat there would be no need for a so-called progressive alliance. Labour always wins Leeds. But winning back Morley & Outwood with Corbyn as leader? No way
58% of Tory voters backed Leave. Obviously that figure will be higher if you exclude London. There are Tory-voting areas outside of London that backed Remain too though - such as Surrey, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Trafford in Manchester and Harrogate near Leeds. Pretty much a load of rich areas.

Yes, quite a few Labour voters backed Leave - but this was never in doubt. A lot of Labour voters are working class and live in deprived former mining towns that have poor economies and high unemployment.

The Tories used to do rather well in Leeds. In the 2000s, the city was run by a Tory-Lib Dem coalition. Labour though are very dominant in the city again. People here are pissed with them. Pretty much all major English cities have moved away from the Tories - they just have very little appeal to voters here.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

It's impressive how the referendum vote didn't follow party lines. 30-40% is a big crossover.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Funny. You won't get many people here describing open borders as a right-wing idea, though I can certainly see the rationale behind it with regards to cheap labour.
It's not too common here either; Bernie sanders is a bit unusual. But immigration wasn't much of a left/right issue in the us until 10-15 years ago. Where does this fall under... nationalism + pro-immigration ?

https://twitter.com/dlin71/status/750151632927748096

Old 10-08-2016, 02:08 PM

44 posts, read 44,696 times
Alex985: Doesn't follow the zeitgeist (i.e. posts on the Fashion & Beauty forum)
Muslim12: He makes Arab Money
Tom77Falcons: Wants to fly (why do you think he has falcons in his name?)
Warzawa: Underground
B87: Drinks tea and eats crumpets
flamingGalah!: Drinks tea and eats crumpets in Malta
Irlinit: Drinks tea and eats crumpets while watching soccer
TommyFL: Sarcastic.
Infamous: Empire State of Mind
Thunder98: Wants thunderstorms
WildCat: Wants summer thunderstorms
Ethereal: Crocodile hunter

Old 10-08-2016, 02:10 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,611,780 times
Quote:
Well, let me give you an example.

Richmond-upon-Thames is a London borough - highly educated, affluent and tends to vote Conservative. However, this same area voted to remain in the EU very strongly. It is 'liberal right'. People in this area will be economically centrist/centre-right, but socially liberal - they are fine with immigration, gay marriage etc.

Compare that to some areas of rural England that vote Conservative and voted to leave the EU very strongly. These areas are conservative right. They don't like immigration, and are less progressive socially. They place more emphasis on traditional values. They will accuse people in Richmond of being 'snobby elites' (even though most of them are just middle-class people who work for a living like everyone else).

The two people might vote for the same party but they have very little or nothing in common. They have totally different priorities and ideas. That kind of reflects the Tory party in general - it is very divided. Half of the party wanted to leave the EU an the other half wanted to remain. David Cameron was part of the 'liberal right'.
Richmond and Twickenham used to always vote Lib Dem, until the party committed suicide by going into a coalition with the tories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather