Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick the climate.
Steelernation71 15 62.50%
Gordo 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Oh, I didn't know that Rainbow City had mountains around it. How tall are they and how tall is the tallest?
These mountains go up to 12,000 feet. Their essential for my climate because the Orographic precipitation causes the high rainfall. The mountains are also good for scenery because at a lot of spots the mountains reach the shore line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
These mountains go up to 12,000 feet. Their essential for my climate because the Orographic precipitation causes the high rainfall. The mountains are also good for scenery because at a lot of spots the mountains reach the shore line.
Let's move whatever it takes behind the mountain ranges then? How wide are they and what is the climate at its eastern foothills? Must be a gigantic rain shadow for sure. Kind of like the semi-arid climates of the Rockies eastern areas...

Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Let's move whatever it takes behind the mountain ranges then? How wide are they and what is the climate at its eastern foothills? Must be a gigantic rain shadow for sure. Kind of like the semi-arid climates of the Rockies eastern areas...
The mountains are about as wide as the mountains in the South Island of New Zealand. On the east side of the mountains it' semi arid. Perhaps a bit like the center of South Island.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Ever taken a winter vacation at Tofino then?
Yeah I have been to Tofino in November which is essentially the same as winter in these parts. . It was not bad at all. A lot of people go to Tofino in the fall and winter to watch storms roll in off the Pacific and create huge waves. "Storm tourism" is becoming more popular...

Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,399,334 times
Gordo's climate is by far better. Plentiful rainfall (although it could be a bit wetter in summer and drier in winter) and with very comfortable temperatures throughout the year, but the sunshine is still a bit too high for me.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:04 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times
Gordo--Good idea for a thread. We definitely do disagree on almost everything lol. Also, not mentioned our preferences for scenery are also very different. I like dry, open semiarid landscapes with few trees while you like a lush rainforest. We do however both love mountains.

Obviously, I choose my own climate. Glad to see it winning. Gordo's climate is definitely an F-.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Gordo--Good idea for a thread. We definitely do disagree on almost everything lol. Also, not mentioned our preferences for scenery are also very different. I like dry, open semiarid landscapes with few trees while you like a lush rainforest. We do however both love mountains.

Obviously, I choose my own climate. Glad to see it winning. Gordo's climate is definitely an F-.
Lol. My lost is your win. Unless I get more votes. But yes mountains are much better than boring flat scenery.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
Gordo's climate is by far better. Plentiful rainfall (although it could be a bit wetter in summer and drier in winter) and with very comfortable temperatures throughout the year, but the sunshine is still a bit too high for me.
Thanks. Green is great. I have more rain in the winter as I prefer a dryer summer. And I have lots of sunshine in the summer to make up for the winter.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
I like rain it is warm and partnered with high sunshine hours and not of cold, overcast endless drizzly variety. Gordo's climate it is even if it is about 10-15F (6-9C) too cool for me every month of the year. Steele's is too cold in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather