Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best climate of these Northern Spanish cities?
San Sebastián 3 14.29%
Pamplona 10 47.62%
Zaragoza 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,509,451 times

Advertisements

Which one is better?

* San Sebastián (Hondarribia Airport not hilltop in town):

The clear-cut maritime one. Cooler summers and wetter than Bordeaux, but consistently mild temps ranging from 13-25 C on average during days year round. Even summers can be rained out. 25/17 summers and 13/4 winters with 1649 mm rainfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Se...C3%A1n#Climate

* Pamplona

This interior climate occasionally gets relieved of the interior heat during summers, tempering the climate to something similar to Portland (OR), albeit with no clear-cut dry season, but far drier than the Basque coastal cities. 28/14 July's and Augusts and 9/1 winters. May well be the extreme warm end of how an oceanic climate could be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamplona#Climate

* Zaragoza

The place for the sun and heat-lovers, at least during summer. Winters may be fairly dull but with a 32/18 summer average there's a lot of time to enjoy hot weather, and with 10/2 winters it's not that cold either. Also it is in a significant rain shadow and hence has a semi-arid climate, being an ideal climate for rain-haters that don't like full-blown deserts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaragoza#Climate

In this North-Spain-battle I'll choose Pamplona thanks to its moderate rainfall, pretty decent summers that are somewhat moderated and the frosts that can occur during the winter that should make it liveable in terms of pollen allergies.

What are your preferences here? Fire away and discuss I'd deliberately considered this poll for some time since I think it may be close and play into a lot of different preferences!

Last edited by lommaren; 11-11-2016 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,969,468 times
I'm not a heat lover, but Zaragoza at least has winter sunshine. The others are too anemic.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,495,937 times
Sam Sebastian is the worst one with lots of rain and clouds as well as being the mildest and most oceanic. I'd give it a E+

Pamplona is too rainy and cloudy in the winter and seems to get hardly any snow. Also, summer isn't hot/dry/sunny enough. Still too oceanic. D.

Zaragoza is the easy winner. It has the driest and sunniest winters, a nice spring wet season, hot, dry and sunny summers that still get some rain and storms. It's also the most continental, the driest, sunniest, and least humid. Gets a B for being too mild and stable in winter.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,044,160 times
It came down to low temperature averages in winter and humidity levels. The winner is Pamplona. Still far from ideal, though.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM

None of them are perfect that's for sure. They each have a nearby climate that is better.

Bilbao is nicer than San Sebastián, Vitoria-Gasteiz is better than Pamplona and Huesca is certainly nicer than Zaragoza. The main premise was that all were going to have weaknesses to make it more interesting

Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 AM

Bump!

A mere 12 votes, I'm not having that; I think Northern Spain is a very intersting climatic region

Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Bump!

A mere 12 votes, I'm not having that; I think Northern Spain is a very intersting climatic region
I'm just finding it hard to decide. I most like San Sebastian's temperature and rainfall, but it's much too cloudy.

Pamplona is generally okay, but cloudier than I like during winter and too dry during summer

Zaragoza is good for sun and temperatures are okay, but much too dry.

I guess I'll go with Pamplona

Old 11-14-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm just finding it hard to decide. I most like San Sebastian's temperature and rainfall, but it's much too cloudy.

Pamplona is generally okay, but cloudier than I like during winter and a too dry during summer

Zaragoza is good for sun and temperatures are okay, but much too dry.

I guess I'll go with Pamplona
It's a difficult one, yes. All three have things that I like but in the end if it comes down to the least weaknesses Pamplona seems to be the best all-round climate.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,178,583 times
Toss up between San Sebastián (for more rain, green vegetation, and milder winters) and Zaragoza for higher sunshine hours and hotter summers. I think I'll give Zaragoza the slight edge just because it would probably feel warmer most of the year.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Toss up between San Sebastián (for more rain, green vegetation, and milder winters) and Zaragoza for higher sunshine hours and hotter summers. I think I'll give Zaragoza the slight edge just because it would probably feel warmer most of the year.
The mean is high is certainly the highest there so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather