Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:16 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Can you share locations perhaps, med climates aren't particularly naturally lush in comparison of wetter oceanic and humid subtropical climates, no denying it. Not too mention the forest in that pic does not look diverse at all, nothing but conifers.
Sierra de Cazorla, Murcia. They're Mediterranean pines.

Of course they are less lushy no one doubts that but I never said that Med climates were lushier.

Just saying that Med. forests exist too. Not all of Med climates are like the surroundings of LA.

Last edited by ase42dv; 02-08-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pember...tralia#Climate

Looked at the surroundings on Google streetview. It actually has some pretty big trees and decent forests around it. I think this goes to show that the key thing for forests to grow is more rainfall during the dry season. Definitely not your typical med, much closer to being oceanic. Only 2.9 mm more in march and it would be. With around 200 mm of rain per month in the winter, though, would it fit into your typical Northern European holidayer's idea of what a med climate should be? You won't be seeing forests like that in the Algarve or Tenerife

Last edited by pdw; 02-08-2017 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Sierra de Cazorla, Murcia. They're Mediterranean pines.

Of course they are less lushy no one doubts that but I never said that Med climates were lushier.

Just saying that Med. forests exist too. Not all of Med climates are like the surroundings of LA.
does this look lush?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5903...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2359...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Of course! California has also many Mediterranean lushy zones.

There was also another user from mid California showing photos of lushy forests. In fact I shown photos here (with the sources ) of Muir Woods national park north of SF which looks almost like Oceanic...

Old 03-09-2021, 11:29 PM

101 posts, read 93,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I will never be able to understand why people like rain/snow/cold. Why change perfection. My one complaint about Mediterranean climates is that they aren't warm enough. Ideal for me would be 85 degrees F every day of the year, with no precipitation.
Define perfection?

85 degrees f everyday with no precipitation is perfection for you, for a lot of people 85 f (especially with humidity) is too hot.

For rain, some people like the sound it creates and is very relaxing to them, the thunderstorms create a source of excitement. Plus rain creates gorgeous landscapes (Just look at PNW and parts of the Eastern US).

For snow, some people who like winter related activities like skiing, snowshoeing, and etc, 15-30 degrees with a bunch of snow would be perfection.

For cold, the air feels more crisp.

Some people (myself included) just simply like those things.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyday was the same?

Old 03-12-2021, 01:24 AM

11 posts, read 5,964 times
Not everyone likes snow, all these chilling snowstorms after that you shovel massive amounts snow to get out from your home,basically weather made for introverts

Old 03-12-2021, 04:19 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
I hate drought. Hate, hate, hate it. I don't want to live in a swamp, but I hate the dried-out, dead look that drought gives things, and I hate monotonous weather and excessive sun.

I rate climates on a college-like grading scale, with 90-100 as an A, 80-89 as a B, 70-79 as a C, 60-69 as a D, 50-59 as an E (a "high F", a climate that "barely fails"), 20-49 as an F, and 19 and below as a Z (aka, the "world's worst" climates).

Each month with less than an inch of precipitation gets 3% taken off. Less than a half-inch, 6% off per month. No precipitation at all (i.e. less than 0.01") gets a brutal 10% off for each month! These are multiplied by the final grade without modifiers; for instance, a climate with a 70% unmodified grade, but with a dry season of, say, 0.79, 0.32, 0.21, and 0.55 inches of rain would lose 3+6+6+3 or 18 percent, meaning the final score is 70% x 82% (what's left after subtracting the 18%) meaning the climate drops from 70% to 57.4%, aka a C- to an E.

Let's take Nashville, TN, a colder-end Cfa climate. It gets a grade of 85.2% per my formula, a mid-end B and one of the best Cfa climates there is.

Let's add one month where precipitation drops below an inch, keeping the yearly precipitation the same (effectively, making all other months rainier). The grade drops to 82.6% / B-, not a big hit.

Let's make that month have, say, 0.2" of rain and make the two adjacent months have less than an inch. Just from this three-month dry season, the grade drops to 75.0% / C, a whole letter grade from the original.

If we make that, say, four months with less than 0.2" rain and two adjacent months with less than an inch (as is common in CA), not only do we make winters very wet but this 6-month dry season costs the climate dearly; 59.6%, near the bottom of D, is its final grade.

Make two of those months TOTALLY DEVOID of precipitation (i.e. 2 months with no precip, 2 months with less than a half-inch, 2 months with between 0.5" and 1") and we're down to 52.8% / E-.

And if, say, half of the year in an average year went rainless (4 months devoid of precip, 2 months with less than a half inch) now we're down to 40.9%, well into the failing range.

There's nothing that will wreck a climate faster than a dry season. Also, such a long dry season would probably send yearly sunshine hours above 2,500, further lowering the grades in question. 1,800-2,500 is ideal.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:10 PM

101 posts, read 93,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Where View Post
Not everyone likes snow, all these chilling snowstorms after that you shovel massive amounts snow to get out from your home,basically weather made for introverts
That is understandable, there is not one thing that every single person likes entirely (not everyone likes cold and/or hot weather).

Old 04-22-2021, 07:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
I love a Mediterranean climate, especially the milder ones like San Diego. There’s a lot of variation within them, though. Some have really depressing winters with chilly rain every day, others can be quite humid and muggy in the summer despite the stereotype that Med climates are not humid (Beirut and Rome). I think that for overall human comfort this climate can’t be beat.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Alright, after reading about the current drought situation in California, which is looking pretty grim, there is one serious downside to Mediterranean climates: going into the summer at a water deficit means big trouble, because there will be no rain for months.

California’s reservoirs are at 50%, the snowpack melted two months early, and now that it’s June there will be no more rain. I imagine fire season will be particularly bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather