Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate type is New Jersey? Is humid Continental or Humid Subtropical? I had a conversation abo
Humid Continental 15 78.95%
Humid Subtropical 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Bolded is not true at all. Again, Phoenix, AZ where I live has a 2°C bigger winter/summer difference than Atlantic City (2°C-24°C in AC, 12°C-36°C here in PHX), but no one in their right mind would say Phoenix is Continental!

And second point, -3°C is the mean temp necessary for lasting snowpack, and AC's mean is above 0°C let alone above -3°C, so the ground doesn't even freeze.

As far as snow, Dallas and Atlanta get snow, but even I consider them Subtropical
You're right, but Phoenix has a desert climate which also characteristically has large differences in temperature between winter and summer above 30N.

eg:

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez,_Morocco#Climate[/url]
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad#Climate[/url]

Desert climates are a different type of subtropical climate, being dry it is normal for them to have high differences in temps between the cold and warm season.

NJ is not a desert climate, so to have such a large range between winter and summer shows that it has continental characteristics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
A big range in temperatures between winter and summer suggests a continental climate
A small range in temperatures between summer and winter suggests a oceanic climate, but that doesn't disqualify many climates from being subtropical.

Every climate in the world can be regarded as either a type of Continental climate or a type of Oceanic climate, and subtropical climates can be either Continental, or Oceanic, in nature.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,495,327 times
Continental in the northwest. Otherwise, subtropical with continental influences. With a coldest month above 0C, southern parts are clearly subtropical.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 PM

214 posts, read 154,620 times
I think that, New Jersey has a similar climate as Leskovac, city in southern Serbia. What are you think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leskovac#Climate

Old 01-27-2017, 12:43 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Humid continental. No question.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,142 times
I'd say it's simply temperate. It has a mix of oceanic and continental influences, but isn't warm enough to be subtropical. It lacks eight months with mean temperatures above 10C or six months with mean maxes above 20C, both of which are necessary for me to consider a climate subtropical. Also, if we have a coldest month cutoff, 5-7C makes more since to me, because subtropical climates have generally mild winters.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:17 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Probably. But still you made it seem like having palm trees is the one thing that makes a climate subtropical, which is wrong.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if the extreme winter lows in a place like Raleigh or Atlanta isn't too different from AC. Of course, ATL and Raleigh get many more warmups as well.
Ability to sustain palms can be a good indicator that a climate is subtropical.

Imo none of NJ is really subtropical, southern tip, Cape May, comes close, but
no real palm trees there either, unless you include the few coconut palms "planted" along the
Beach that are replaced every year when they die in the fall

Even much farther south, Virginia Beach, is very borderline subtropical to me.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Ability to sustain palms can be a good indicator that a climate is subtropical.
It really depends on the Palm species. some are quite cold hardy(-20C), but also have the hardiness to resume growth after several months of no growth (cold dormancy isn't a feature of any palm species I'm aware of) So the survival of some species to survive in some climates can be more a feature of the plant's hardiness rather than the climates suitability.

An similar example would be cacti - my area can grow a range of truly drought tolerant ones, but not because the climate is suitable, but because the the plant can handle conditions very different to that in which they are evolved to - with rainfall at 3 metres plus in my area, the presence of cacti wouldn't indicate arid-ness as a feature of the climate.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It really depends on the Palm species. some are quite cold hardy(-20C), but also have the hardiness to resume growth after several months of no growth (cold dormancy isn't a feature of any palm species I'm aware of) So the survival of some species to survive in some climates can be more a feature of the plant's hardiness rather than the climates suitability.

An similar example would be cacti - my area can grow a range of truly drought tolerant ones, but not because the climate is suitable, but because the the plant can handle conditions very different to that in which they are evolved to - with rainfall at 3 metres plus in my area, the presence of cacti wouldn't indicate arid-ness as a feature of the climate.
Good points Joe.

But NJ shore has a tough time sustaining even super cold hardy Windmill Palms,
never mind all the exotic species your climate can sustain, at a similar latitude too.

That's not subtropical in my book.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 AM

214 posts, read 154,620 times
Kikinda, another city in Serbia with similar climate as New Jersey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikinda#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather