Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you rate your climate?
A 18 22.78%
B 20 25.32%
C 22 27.85%
D 12 15.19%
E 4 5.06%
F 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:03 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,620,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I've seen someone on here before suggest that North American weather stations are better than European weather stations when it comes to recording sunshine hours.

Is there any truth in this?
they are not better, they record more hours because as B87 says they record some additional sunshine which the european ones doesn't

I readed in this forum of some users claiming that it's about 10-15%, but it's not something clear at 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 34,570 times
Where I live in northern Orange County Florida, I would rate my climate as a C.

For 6 months of the year, from Mid-April until the first cold front in October, the weather is oppressive. Even though the temperatures rarely reach the century mark, it is the humidity that kills. The humidity stays above 70% all day and when you step outside, it engulfs you. You feel it when you breath in and even sitting on the shade for 5 minutes will cause you to sweat. And then there is the afternoon rain. Every afternoon, there are thunderstorms at some point so you bring your umbrella regardless of the forecast. I didn't mind Hurricane Matthew, but the whole time my dad was telling me how terrible it was with me as a toddler with no power in the heat of July after Charley Frances and Jeanne. Not to mention that the lows stay above 75 the whole time.

The other half of the year is our dry season. There can be chilly mornings, sometimes in the 40s with the occasional frost. It has been 2 "winters" since we had a freeze. Aside from a few days each year, the Florida sun warms things up to the 70s and even the low 80s on occasion. When fronts pass through, they bring a cold rain with some squalls which produce rare tornadoes. Though the local population goes hysterical whenever the temperature drops below 60, I like it cold and seeing my breath is so fascinating. Then again I have never seen snow.

Feel free to ask me anything about the Central Florida climate.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM

876 posts, read 813,740 times
Seattle is a B+. Winter storm rain totals are dependent on formation of El Niño or La Niña conditions. There isn't much variation between day and night temps, or seasonal temps. I find that I have a lot fewer issues with pollen allergies, since the rain and humidity keep dust down. Your skin and nasal passages don't dry out because the house doesn't need much heat.

The rain isn't that big of an issue if you don't drive to work. The freeways get pretty dicey with spray flying everywhere so traffic comes to a crawl. Sometimes people do feel a little soggy perhaps a bit depressed from days of clouds, cold and rain so they take a trip to Las Vegas, Phoenix, SoCal somewhere to soak up vitamin D.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
I'm in Northern California. I can't rate the climate because I don't know what it is anymore. We've gone from what used to be a reasonably stable Mediterranean climate to this monster that swings from one extreme to another. First it was the extreme drought with shirtsleeve weather in January. Then we get a record El Nino -- which, contrary to all expectations, gave us a mild winter. Now, in a fading La Nina, we are walloped with record snow and rain. Atmospheric rivers used to be infrequent, now they happen two or three times a month. The climate has gone bonkers.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:54 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It's a bit similar to the Med coast of Spain which is also an east coast/south coast climate at a relatively low latitude (west coasts tend to have larger summer swings).

There in San Javier it's 29C a normal summer day and 34C in Murcia and extremes can vary a whole lot in a short space of time, in spite of the east coast's general reputation as being quite moderate from coast to the interior. I reckon yours is more to do with extremes only rather than normals? The coastal NSW climates are brilliant on the shore but not so much inland, so I'd recommend you getting an AC for next time
I've been here for four years now and really Sunday is the only day where a fan might have been of use - if I did get a fan, it would only be a small cheap one because an air conditioning unit or ceiling fan would not be of value because I would hardly use them. Also, I rent my place. Also, I like to save on electricity bills and not having an AC unit helps in that regards.

Admittedly, my townhouse is well positioned and if I do move, I may have to get a fan for the next place.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Grade E. Grade E??

Dallas is a D. (No joke intended.)
The summers are much too warm, and last from May into October.
Spring and Autumn are great, when we actually see them.
Winter is really nice, except when it's not winter in winter. Winter weather can be anything from 15 degrees to 85 degrees, and sometimes changes 40 degrees overnight.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London's summers are definitely warm to me. Your summers are hot.
Even though some of us from warmer climes may laugh when we hear about Poms being overcome when the temperature reaches *only* 32 degrees or so; having lived in London myself in the mid 90s, I know that those temperatures can feel very stifling in London and feel much hotter than they might back in Australia.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 AM

765 posts, read 574,367 times
Sydney is an A climate

Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Even though some of us from warmer climes may laugh when we hear about Poms being overcome when the temperature reaches *only* 32 degrees or so; having lived in London myself in the mid 90s, I know that those temperatures can feel very stifling in London and feel much hotter than they might back in Australia.
It so much depends on what you're used to as well. In colder climates people lack the routine of drinking tons of water when it's hot outside because normally that's not needed. Then again most people in your climate will have an AC unit and therefore eliminate the heat while indoors when it's 32C whereas apartments in colder countries are designed to keep as much heat in as possible.

What happens therefore is, that indoor heat stays at roughly the same as the outdoor shade, providing no shelter from the sun whatsoever. During the hot afternoons of 2014 I can pretty much promise that my indoor temp hit 30C at some point. Because of that there's little escape. That's also part of why the heat is perceived as worse in colder areas.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
A climate overall, slightly too hot in summer just back from the coast (Lower Hunter Valley, outskirts of Newcastle), but can't complain too much.
Port Stephens would be more ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather