Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times

Advertisements

So, Instead of grading climates and assigning A's and B's, I thought we could have a general discussion about weather and climate in the Philadelphia Region. My thought is that this climate is a bit too hot in summer (mid 80's-low 90's during the day and upper 60's at night), but winters are perfect with the right mix of snow and mild temperatures (upper 30's-low 40's in the day and lower-upper 20's at night).

Here are the Various Locations under Consideration:
  1. Philadelphia, PA: Intellicast - Philadelphia Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (19113)
  2. Chester, PA: Intellicast - Chester Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (19013)
  3. Norristown, PA:Intellicast - Norristown Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (19401)
  4. Mount Laurel, NJ: Intellicast - Mount Laurel Historic Weather Averages in New Jersey (08054)
  5. Deptford, NJ: Intellicast - Deptford Historic Weather Averages in New Jersey (08096)
Lows vary widely between center city and suburbs primarily due to UHI's, yet also notice that the highs are higher in the suburbs. Hailstorms & intense thunderstorms occur from time to time in summer, especially in the South Jersey suburbs. Humidity is more intense in the south jersey region as opposed to the western suburbs of Philly, thereby making the heat feel more oppressive. Snowfall is usually more intense in the northwestern suburbs of Philly and less common in south jersey.

Any other interesting facts you guys want to bring to the table .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Good idea for a thread.

Philly is to mild year round for me personally though parts of winter would be ideal temperature wise. I would like to know how Philly compares to NYC, Boston, DC and the inland NE on a day to day basis.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Good idea for a thread.

Philly is to mild year round for me personally though parts of winter would be ideal temperature wise. I would like to know how Philly compares to NYC, Boston, DC and the inland NE on a day to day basis.
Here you go. Hope it helps :
  1. NYC:Intellicast - New York Historic Weather Averages in New York (10025)
  2. Baltimore:Intellicast - Baltimore Historic Weather Averages in Maryland (21202)
  3. Albany:Intellicast - Albany Historic Weather Averages in New York (12210)
  4. Harrisburg:Intellicast - Harrisburg Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (17101)
  5. Atlantic City:Intellicast - Atlantic City Historic Weather Averages in New Jersey (08401)
I wonder how Baltimore averages the low 90's in July though. The 90 F line for an average high is near the VA/NC border. Something is fishy. The location seems to be much hotter than expected .

Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Here you go. Hope it helps :
  1. NYC:Intellicast - New York Historic Weather Averages in New York (10025)
  2. Baltimore:Intellicast - Baltimore Historic Weather Averages in Maryland (21202)
  3. Albany:Intellicast - Albany Historic Weather Averages in New York (12210)
  4. Harrisburg:Intellicast - Harrisburg Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (17101)
  5. Atlantic City:Intellicast - Atlantic City Historic Weather Averages in New Jersey (08401)
I wonder how Baltimore averages the low 90's in July though. The 90 F line for an average high is near the VA/NC border. Something is fishy. The location seems to be much hotter than expected .
Balitmore's winters stick out for me too, bit to mild. Also summers average high in July is 33c no way.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Balitmore's winters stick out for me too, bit to mild. Also summers average high in July is 33c no way.

OH, my bad . The station used mush have been BWI, which is a heat pool in the northeastern Region. Always significantly hotter than the surrounding areas. Real feels have gone as high as 120 F there during extreme heat waves . Temperatures here sizzle during heat waves, sometimes reaching extreme levels of heat with humidity

Check out the heat map. This happens 15 times every July. I hate that oppressive bubble :

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-13-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,923 times
Weather can be highly volatile especially in the winter time when it comes to temperatures. I live just an hour north of Philadelphia and just look at the high/low temps for each day this month so far:

Averge High = 36°F
Average Low = 20°F

HIGH | LOW
32°F ... 18°F
29°F ... 16°F
18°F ... -3°F
26°F ... -4°F
40°F ... 1°F
55°F ... 7
8°F ... -1°F
20°F ... 4°F
33°F ... 15°F
34°F ... 26°F
61°F ... 34°F
48°F ... 29°F

Talk about extreme temperature swings....!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM

^^
Similar crazy variant weather here:

Intellicast - North Brunswick Past Observations Summary in New Jersey (08902)

FYI, I live at the midpoint between NYC and Philly MSA's.

Average high/low is 39/23.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
OH, my bad . The station used mush have been BWI, which is a heat pool in the northeastern Region. Always significantly hotter than the surrounding areas. Real feels have gone as high as 120 F there during extreme heat waves . Temperatures here sizzle during heat waves, sometimes reaching extreme levels of heat with humidity

Check out the heat map. This happens 15 times every July. I hate that oppressive bubble :
The station used by Intellicast was the Baltimore Customs House in downtown. You are correct that there is (was) something fishy: the old sensor had a rooftop location. Just search for it. This station closed down in the late 1990's

BWI Airport, IMO more of an extreme cold spot considering its location not far from the innermost southern suburbs of Baltimore, relatively low elevation, and relative proximity to the Chesapeake; it isn't immediately in a river valley for that matter either. Sometimes at night it is 10 F colder than DCA, which in turn is on average 1 to 2 F cooler at night than the MD Science Center in downtown Baltimore. Also DCA is usually warmer in the day than BWI with downsloping (westerly, ~270° heading, wind) events; the elevations rise to 300 ft+ in Arlington County and do not fall back below that until western Fairfax Cty, probably enhancing furthermore the warming off the Blue Ridge.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 PM

175 posts, read 287,972 times
I actually had a question about this. Im moving to Philadelphia, and have so far experienced fall and winter but not high summer. How bad does the humidity get in July-August? Also does it get all mosquito-y?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
I actually had a question about this. Im moving to Philadelphia, and have so far experienced fall and winter but not high summer. How bad does the humidity get in July-August? Also does it get all mosquito-y?
Its humid, but with cool breaks from time to time. High Temperatures are the same as LA though during summer. Lows are sticky and uncomfortable without A/C . Humidity is the worst overnight and not so much an issue in the afternoon. Yes, there are mosquitos, just like you have annoying dusty air in LA often. Hey, at least the NJ shoreline is close by where it cools down into the low-mid 60's at night with breeze, and you get warm 80 F days . I have seen it as hot as 106 F (High), and as cold as 49 F (Low) in summer. I see you lived in NYC before, so the climate is not a whole lot different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather