Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better range of climates for your tastes?
Eastern half of Europe 17 29.82%
Eastern half of the U.S. 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Now Eddie lad . Yes i appreciate folk like different climates - some love the cold and rain .

All i'm saying is some things are widely acknowledged to weather guru's and one of them is the inflated sunshine hours listed for USA locations on wiki . They're a bit of a sham to be fair because in the earlier days i used to swear by them .

If you are talking about the entire USA eastern sea board without including Canada ,then yes - for anyone who likes sunshine,variation and half way decent temps then the USA will be a clear winner .
The sunshine graphs you sent were interesting but a little misleading .

How are they a sham when it is known the threshold used? They are not completely bogus numbers.

There are now electronic sensors at certain locations, and instead of Philly being 2500 hours it dropped down to over 2300 hours on the years I have checked. If you want to be conservative, just subtract 200 hours from US numbers and this gives you a good comparison. Keep in mind I'm in the less sunny areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
but at least they are real Razza - the same as on Bear island

Stop acting as if the US numbers were just pulled out of thin air. They had sensors, just different threshold for different reasons (agricultural) than your beloved glass ball from the 18th century. Agricultural reasons did not dictate 120mW, but slightly lower. They knew it recorded at that lower threshold at times, and they never called it "Bright Sunshine" which is 120mW.

Compare electronic to electronic and then see the difference.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Europeans on here are never going to acknowledge anything good about anything in the US let alone climate.
Here you go: I chose the Eastern US because it's overall wetter, stormier, sunnier and has a higher day-to-day temperature variation, at least outside summer. Eastern Europe, particularly its northern half, can see just as large departures, but weather patterns seem to get locked more easily. I don't want subzero °F temps or oceanic limbo temps for weeks on end as can be seen in parts of Russia, Belarus or the Baltic countries.

The best of both regions would be Iowa and the lower Volga valley. The former wins by a landslide mainly due to being twice as wet. The battle of the worst would probably be Key West vs Murmansk. Again, the US wins.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:38 PM

63 posts, read 52,317 times
the eastern half of the US is better because it has more rain and is warmer, although those hot summers are awful, but still better

Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
I'm one on here who readily acknowledges the superiority of climates in the Med region vs the US, but you almost never see a European acknowledge anything good about any US climate. If they do there is always a "but" at the end of it.

Seems as if we are to ignore the climates of the warmer parts of the eastern US, and then assume our temps are inflated blah blah.

This whole thread seems to follow the typical pattern of local biases and appears useless. Europeans on here are never going to acknowledge anything good about anything in the US let alone climate. That is obvious and why this forum becomes such a borefest after a while.

Here let us just make this easy. The US is a frozen cold hell hole and Europe is a paradise of better climates in every way.

There poll over Europe wins.
Lol what ? I always almost favour US climates, especially the midwestern ones. I clearly wish my climate had colder winters and I consider Lexington for instance to be excellent. I don't really like oceanic climates and I think Europe does not have the best climates. Then yeah, I am clearly not a fan of the US South East as I favor colder winters and I am not too fond of any climates with longer / hotter summers than I already have where I live. I think there are other europeans here who enjoy continental climates which are in the US.

But then I have the sensation that many Americans do favour the climates in their own country (which is perfectly fine) and dismiss Europe as being mostly boring oceanic or rainless mediterranean, which is clearly quite a limited view on things.

I don't want it to turn into a US posters Vs Euro posters argument because that would be quite silly.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Quote:
If you are going to lump the whole of the Eastern US you have to remember that I'm at 39.9N latitude which is the latitude of Greece. A very large chunk of the eastern US is lower in latitude than Eastern Europe. So you need to say the northern half of the eastern US vs Eastern Europe to even compare equal latitude. If latitude is ignored then compare Charleston, SC to Warsaw, Poland lol. I know which one I would choose.
That's right, we know that. I'm still interested to see what the stats show though, so it'd be great if someone would post some sample locations to compare.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:47 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
There's no reason to restrict for latitude. Eastern US goes from 47°N to 24°N and this range in latitude subsequently gives rise to its various climates. Same thing for Eastern Europe: 70°N to 34°N or some such. This may naturally cause some warm weather aficionados to gravitate to the US; similarly, cold weather lovers may gravitate to Europe. That's just a fact of life.

That said I would like to know the longitude meridians we're using as the dividing lines. East of 100° west for USA? East of 15° east for Europe?

And where's the eastern border of Eastern Europe? Ural Mountains?
Chicago in Eastern United States? Really? I think we'll have the dividing line at 82 west.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:59 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
I'm one on here who readily acknowledges the superiority of climates in the Med region vs the US, but you almost never see a European acknowledge anything good about any US climate. If they do there is always a "but" at the end of it.

Seems as if we are to ignore the climates of the warmer parts of the eastern US, and then assume our temps are inflated blah blah.

This whole thread seems to follow the typical pattern of local biases and appears useless. Europeans on here are never going to acknowledge anything good about anything in the US let alone climate. That is obvious and why this forum becomes such a borefest after a while.

Here let us just make this easy. The US is a frozen cold hell hole and Europe is a paradise of better climates in every way.

There poll over Europe wins.
I really like American climates. Somewhere like DC would be just about perfect IMO, although Philadelphia is very good too. Somewhere that gets a reasonably cold winter, with a chance of decent snowfall most years, then a very warm-hot summer, with dew points around 70F. Perfect. Added to that, good amounts of sunshine in all seasons.
I think you're very lucky to have the climates you have in the US. Obviously it's a huge country, but there's still so much diversity within it.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:16 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Eastern US is usually define as this

and Eastern Europe usually like this

Any thoughts?
That's interesting because when I think of the eastern US I really think about most things east of the Appalachian. I don't consider Ohio or Kentucky to be eastern, but then I have a feeling nobody agrees on this in the US either. I'd consider Chicago as midwestern and Kentucky as upper south.

Unless we're talking about the eastern Half of course.

Otherwise the US is just way bigger and it will be a bit like "do you prefer New York or Plzen for a city ?"

Edit: I just saw it was mentioned in the first message. I only replied to the thread title that does not mention the half...

Old 05-08-2017, 05:43 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Chicago in Eastern United States? Really? I think we'll have the dividing line at 82 west.
You guys have an odd conception of what's "Eastern US".

Why should a place (lower 48) that ranges from 67 West longitude to 125 west longitude merely start at 82 degrees west as Eastern? That would exclude a lot of FL and a lot of the South from being east.

Eastern US aren't just the states that border the Atlantic, FFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather