Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True winters must have snow?
Yes 72 57.14%
No 54 42.86%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times

Advertisements

There are places that get snow regularly every winter, albeit in small amounts (on average) and yet aren't considered to have "true" winters. Example: Portland, OR (this year's winter was abnormal), Dallas, TX, Atlanta, GA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:42 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,829 times
Yes, places like Beijing do NOT have real winters with their minimal snowfall. Same goes for Turpan, Xian or La Paz. They do have winters though, anywhere colder than 18'C in the coldest month has a winter of sorts, expect tropical highland climates for which the term is irrevalant anyway.

A city with 'real winters' should fufill one of the following sets of rules (in-between places are rated using linear expolation):

Set 1
- DJF averaging 2'C or below
- At least one month in DJF with 15 cm or more snow
- Annual snow totaling 50 cm or more

Set 2
- DJF averaging -8'C or below
- At least one month in DJF with 8 cm or more snow
- Annual snow totaling 36 cm or more

* Allowances in snowfall are made for European cities with gloomy winters.

Places with real winters: Santa Fe, Denver, Berlin, New York City, Harbin

Places without real winters: Those mentioned above and most of oceanic climates.

Last edited by Caleb Yeung; 07-08-2017 at 03:56 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 04:34 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^ People wear clothes like that at 19 C to make a "fashion statement" not because they're actually cold. Those are the same idiots I see wearing heavy jackets, scarves and boots at 20 C and hoodies at 30 C. Dumbest **** I've ever seen.
Isn't that a good thing? At least they're not cold and they wear clothes to make a fashion statement.

As I said earlier, winter fashion is arguably more aesthetic as it seems more diverse to me. Deep inside, they would probably feel too warm in such conditions, but would wear such attire only to boast and showoff. I would call them vain and conceited rather than wusses, personally.

But yeah, as what Lab said, maybe in Sydney's case they would wear such clothes because of our cool mornings, especially here in the west? I don't know.

P.S. I perpetually wear long-sleeve shirts and pants even in the brunt of our hot summer (not hoodies though). Why? Because I have body image issues. I don't like showing my limbs. It has nothing to do with me being "cold" or anything like that. Maybe the some of them are that way too (if not the fashion reason)? So I hope I'm not in your "dumbest dresses" list. Lol.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You didn't get my point. I said people in Canada and Russia (places with "true winters") do walk around rather cozy, wearing "proper winter attire WITH winter cover trousers" as you say. Obviously they wouldn't be wearing any jeans (I didn't bring up jeans?). So if they're comfortable walking in the streets in such heavy winter attire, then they're not experiencing real winters by your logic? I really don't know what you're trying to say, tbh.
Yeah but that doesn't in any way contradict anything that I've said so I don't understand why you're arguing. I said you're gonna be cold in jeans, and you started pointing at people wearing bloody space suits saying they look fine. I also said that although you'll be warm in proper clothing, you'll still be really cold in your face. Your "argument" falls perfectly into my true winter criteria without any contradictions so I don't see why you're trying to argue.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Yeah but that doesn't in any way contradict anything that I've said so I don't understand why you're arguing. I said you're gonna be cold in jeans, and you started pointing at people wearing bloody space suits saying they look fine. I also said that although you'll be warm in proper clothing, you'll still be really cold in your face. Your "argument" falls perfectly into my true winter criteria without any contradictions so I don't see why you're trying to argue.
I agree with you.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Of course, because space suits are totally synonymous to winter attire. Really clever. I just had to stop there - False equivalences are a feeble way to establish an argument, especially when an inane hyperbole is made. And I am not even arguing. I was merely questioning your sentiments. Not sure why you're being so defensive. Jeez.

Thanks for teaching me that I'll "still be really cold in the face" even if I am "wearing proper clothing". Lol. How could I know not this? What's next, hot water burns?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Of course, because space suits are totally synonymous to winter attire. Really clever. I just had to stop there - False equivalences are a feeble way to establish an argument, especially when an inane hyperbole is made. And I am not even arguing. I was merely questioning your sentiments. Not sure why you're being so defensive. Jeez.

Thanks for teaching me that I'll "still be really cold in the face" even if I am "wearing proper clothing". Lol. How could I know not this? What's next, hot water burns?
I'm pretty sure I feel like I'm walking around in a space suit when I walk through town looking like the micheline man. Hyperbole, not a false equivalence I think.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I feel like I'm walking around in a space suit when I walk through town looking like the micheline man. Hyperbole, not a false equivalence I think.
Well, I guess I can agree with that. Overdressing is not so pretty. I'd rather be a little cold than look like an eskimo.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:26 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
True winters? What does that mean?? Any place with a temperature plateau for 2-3 months that is cooler than the rest of the year has a winter. Only equatorial places don't. So my answer is no. There isn't even such a thing as a true winter.

Can't believe there's 65 yes votes.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Isn't that a good thing? At least they're not cold and they wear clothes to make a fashion statement.

As I said earlier, winter fashion is arguably more aesthetic as it seems more diverse to me. Deep inside, they would probably feel too warm in such conditions, but would wear such attire only to boast and showoff. I would call them vain and conceited rather than wusses, personally.

But yeah, as what Lab said, maybe in Sydney's case they would wear such clothes because of our cool mornings, especially here in the west? I don't know.

P.S. I perpetually wear long-sleeve shirts and pants even in the brunt of our hot summer (not hoodies though). Why? Because I have body image issues. I don't like showing my limbs. It has nothing to do with me being "cold" or anything like that. Maybe the some of them are that way too (if not the fashion reason)? So I hope I'm not in your "dumbest dresses" list. Lol.
People wear clothing according to what they're used to. I think here considering we have hot and long summers, people tend to overdress more for similar temperatures than french or German people. Last week we had some chilly mornings, but they were around 15c, which is kinda cool for here, yet this is perfectly normal in many places in france and the UK in this season, where no one complains or wears heavy clothing. Here I have noticed that southerners tend to do that even more than people from North Italy. Heck, it is 30c at home right now and 36c at 7 pm outside, people get used to that and feel cold at otherwise nice temperatures.

Example ? I went to Munich for a few days in late october, and by Bologna's standards, the weather looked like late november. Most days had highs around 9-13c, and the lows were a bit above freezing, and we had both rain and sun. It was definitely chilly bordering on cold sometimes, and I had what I'd call "moderate winter clothing", nothing too exagerated but I still wore a beanie sometimes when it was 6c and damp.

A lot of german people were just hanging around in hoodies or light jackets, so I guess for them it actually felt warmer than for us. I suppose they would have trouble in our 36c weather, even though they reach these temps sometimes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather