Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True winters must have snow?
Yes 72 57.14%
No 54 42.86%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Places outside of the tropics (Cancer & Capricorn) have Winters, that's the official line, doesn't matter if you think it has to be -20 degrees or +20 degrees places outside the tropics have 4 seasons due to the tilt of the earth and that's just science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Places outside of the tropics (Cancer & Capricorn) have Winters, that's the official line, doesn't matter if you think it has to be -20 degrees or +20 degrees places outside the tropics have 4 seasons due to the tilt of the earth and that's just science.
That's what I think, but for "true winter" I meant a place that is cold for humans even Miami has a winter.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:09 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
Snow is not necessary for a true winter in my opinion. I'd say even Florida has a "true winter" although it's a weak winter.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Winter is the season with the coldest temperature of the year. By saying this, even Miami has a winter, because January is the month with the coldest temperatures of the year. A "true" winters means that we humans consider it cold. Normally I would consider a "true" winter an average high below 0 °C in the coldest month, for example Pierre, South Dakota. But what does that mean? It means that the only civilian settlements that have "true" winters in the Southern Hemisphere are Villa Las Estrellas and Esperanza Base. Outside of Antarctica, there isn't any city that has a "true" winter in the Southern Hemisphere, and I consider that a bit restrictive. But what else should I do? I don't really feel cold until it's below 0 °C. Maybe I can make an exception and consider Río Grande as a "true" winter.
Balmaceda have a average high of 3.6C in the coldest month and yet it registered -20.6C and 15 followed days with snow cover last June, all native trees there is deciduous, so it don't have a "true winter"

Old 07-04-2017, 08:21 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
İstanbul is too warm in winter.
I watch Turkish shows filmed in Istanbul, and their winters may not look frigid or icy, but they usually seem damp, misty and pretty dreary. Actors are usually wearing multiple layers of clothing and their breath comes out like a thick, billowing fog. So they'll disagree with you.

Have you experienced winters colder than your city? If you have, you'd probably change your mind and see how cool "mild" cities like Istanbul, Paris and London can be in the winter. Even someone in NYC or Chicago wouldn't say Istanbul is "too warm" in the winter, perhaps "mild", but definitely not the former.

If you want "too warm in winter" try Brisbane, Kuwait, Tampa or Orlando...

Old 07-04-2017, 08:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
I voted yes. Recent winters have been very warm with little snow here and it's a completely different atmosphere. A snowy winter is a beautiful thing, snowless is just depressing.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:23 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I think it's more connected to ecology. Year round growing season? There's no winter.
Maybe you just define that by first and last frost, I don't know.
Atlanta definitely has a winter, for example. Avg low in January is right around freezing. Pretty much guaranteed to get even a hard freeze.

Farther south you'll get a freeze probably every year though sometimes not. Still counts as winter.

Now, Miami? I think more often than not it doesn't even get cold enough for a frost. I don't think they have an actual winter. And I've seen their climate regarded as tropical wet and dry/monsoon so that would make sense compared to subtropical areas farther north.

Then again, some crops need minimum temperatures much warmer than freezing to grow anyway (rice) so perhaps any period too cool could be construed as winter. Although I think "true" winter would be having regular frost periods.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
It's about the dark. When it's dark when I get to work and dark when I leave it's winter. A bit of snow is ok though.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Winter means I have to dress for cold, like having a coat, maybe gloves and a beanie. For instance, looking at Melbourne, it seems they have a long fall, but no true winter, for me at least. Their coldest month looks like halloween time here. Typicall fall cool weather. I would not need particularly heavy clothing for this time of the year, generally speaking.

Someone who lives in Central Siberia will probably think the same for here though.

I would say a month above 7 or 8c average mean does not qualify as a winter month, but that's entirely related to living in a certain part of Europe. I'd say we have about 3 months of winter here at most, late november to late february, even if the warm spells in late winter are not uncommon.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I watch Turkish shows filmed in Istanbul, and their winters may not look frigid or icy, but they usually seem damp, misty and pretty dreary. Actors are usually wearing multiple layers of clothing and their breath comes out like a thick, billowing fog. So they'll disagree with you.

Have you experienced winters colder than your city? If you have, you'd probably change your mind and see how cool "mild" cities like Istanbul, Paris and London can be in the winter. Even someone in NYC or Chicago wouldn't say Istanbul is "too warm" in the winter, perhaps "mild", but definitely not the former.

If you want "too warm in winter" try Brisbane, Kuwait, Tampa or Orlando...
İstanbul's winter is the same as İzmit's winter.

I lived in Erzincan for 4 years. I studied primary school in Erzincan. Because of my father's job, I grew up in a lot of different cities in Turkey including Turkish Northern Cyprus.

I've been living in İzmit since 2008. I will be 27 in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather