Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,182,391 times

Advertisements

Phoenix with AC is more practically easier to cope in terms of risk assessment than winter in Minneapolis. Driving in snow and ice/shoveling driveways vs. just staying in the AC and only walking from the AC car to an AC building. But both 120F and -20F are dangerous if your car breaks down in a remote country road with poor cell phone service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,485,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
This!!! People really underestimate how harsh Upper Midwestern winters are. I'd rather deal with 110 degrees than 20 degrees.

Well I'm from the South and I don't even find 20 degrees all that cold 110 though, no thank you. Did 107 in Fort Worth almost two years ago and that was awful. Worst heat though, was last summer 103 degrees, no AC, stuck in awful rush hour traffic... yuck. 20 degrees? Put on a few layers, some sweat pants with jeans over them, a nice hat, scarf and gloves and good waterproof shoes and I'm good to go.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,485,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Phoenix with AC is more practically easier to cope in terms of risk assessment than winter in Minneapolis. Driving in snow and ice/shoveling driveways vs. just staying in the AC and only walking from the AC car to an AC building. But both 120F and -20F are dangerous if your car breaks down in a remote country road with poor cell phone service.
Do you really think Minnesotans spend all winter fearing for their safety? The Twin Cities are known for having very good road conditions in winter because the cities are well equipped. Its safer to drive in Minneapolis with 2 feet of snow than in Atlanta with 2 inches.

And hey, you can always get a snowblower! Also Minnesota isn't Buffalo. I do agree being stuck in either 120 and -20 would suck, but heat actually kills more people. We're talking about temperature alone, not slipping out on ice, but the cold alone. The heat is more deadly because its so much harder to cool your body down. Anyone who lives up north will have the sense to carry spare coats in their trunk in the case of an emergency. I wouldn't wish any scenario on anyone, of course.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,824,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Yes, another reason that winter sucks is the whole driving thing.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:03 PM

17,344 posts, read 12,301,200 times
You can always put on more layers to warm up. Even in a power failure. Little you can do to cool down.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,384,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
These are not more pleasant days for Phoenix. I checked NWS data from yesterday, and it shows the morning low at +5 compared to normal, so actually above average for this time of year according to the NWS. I walked yesterday morning too, as I usually do, and it was fine. Official numbers you might see on the news are taken at the airport, which is probably the hottest place in the entire city. We live in the suburbs, as do a few other folks, and it's notably cooler in the morning than at the airport.

I agree that a sunny calm day in the 20's is pleasant. I used to walk, run, XC ski on days like that when I lived in the Midwest. It's not always that nice, at least from my memory
+5 from average? Did you not say the temperature was 80 F? I'm pretty damn sure PHX average low during July is not 75 F.

I'm not trying to insinuate that it's always that nice, but if you're gonna make a comment on the nice part of summer in Phoenix why not compare it to the nice part of winter in Minneapolis? Seems a bit biased and unfair to compare a relatively comfortable morning in summer in PHX to the worst of winter in MSP.

BTW, I see you said you live in the suburbs. Are lows there really 10 F colder than PHX? I know UHIs can be a huge effect, so maybe you're right.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,084,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
+5 from average? Did you not say the temperature was 80 F? I'm pretty damn sure PHX average low during July is not 75 F.

I'm not trying to insinuate that it's always that nice, but if you're gonna make a comment on the nice part of summer in Phoenix why not compare it to the nice part of winter in Minneapolis? Seems a bit biased and unfair to compare a relatively comfortable morning in summer in PHX to the worst of winter in MSP.

BTW, I see you said you live in the suburbs. Are lows there really 10 F colder than PHX? I know UHIs can be a huge effect, so maybe you're right.
I'm just guessing at the temp at our house. It was nice, at least for me, and a pretty typical July morning based on five years in our current neighborhood.

NWS said yesterday's low was 88 at the airport. 'Burbs are probably 5-8 degrees cooler on most mornings, and we're near some farms which might give a little more(?), so I think my guess of 80 is close.

Sure, there are some "not nice" mornings, when I just stay in or wish I had. That's maybe a dozen days throughout the whole summer, for me, where we live. It's usually when monsoon brings in more moisture. And I'm not one of the sun worshiper types. We have them here... they're wearing sweaters until it hits 100.

This is early, of course. Folks who head out at 9am will be suffering.

Last edited by hikernut; 07-11-2017 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,344,934 times
So? It's not like Arizona is some kind of paradide climatewise either

Old 07-11-2017, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 34,048 times
Power blackout would be sick in Phönix hell.
Minneapolis summer is nearly too hot for me. Guess US is not for heat sensitives.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,084,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
So? It's not like Arizona is some kind of paradide climatewise either
Hardly. I didn't see anyone make that claim. It was an A vs. B question.

I moved here for a job and had pretty low expectations with regard to the weather. Like most places it has it's good and bad aspects. Now that I've been here a while I do have some opinions. For people with day jobs I think it's not too bad. In the summer I've got 1-2 hours in the morning that are fine for exercise, yard work, or just sitting outside and drinking coffee. During the hottest part of the day you're inside so who cares, assuming an office job. More than half of the year is really nice, and then there are a couple of months that are fine if one avoids midday.

I doubt we'll retire here. We both like to be outside as much as possible. We'll see what the piggy bank allows when that time arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather