Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times

Advertisements

Some people are cold lovers. I am a hot lover, so Phoenix doesn't sound too bad to me. Everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Both are hell for different reasons but even as a heat lover I would prefer Minnesota over Phoenix. Phoenix is way too sunny, hot and dry.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am in Omaha area for now, but when I mentioned I moved here from a suburb of Phoenix, I was very surprised when a co-worker said she would prefer a Minnesota winter over Phoenix weather.

I was at work at break and a co-worker from Minnesota said that she enjoyed the winters and she would prefer a Minnesota winter any day to a Phoenix summer with air conditioning.

I was absolutely stunned that people like her exist that actually love Minnesota weather. She went on about how she has relatives and hates Phoenix weather.

I was wondering if people really do like Minnesota winters and actually enjoy that weather? I know they have a very high quality of life but thought many just sort of tolerated the cold winters. I was stunned to hear something say they actually like Minnesota weather.
I've never lived in Phoenix or Minnesota, but I've visited Phoenix in high summer and I've lived in Illinois, which has some brutal winters. I absolutely despise hot weather and I generally don't care much for sunny weather. So obviously out of the two, I would take Minnesota.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I'd be with the coworker on this one.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:33 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
I am in Omaha area for now, but when I mentioned I moved here from a suburb of Phoenix, I was very surprised when a co-worker said she would prefer a Minnesota winter over Phoenix weather.

I was at work at break and a co-worker from Minnesota said that she enjoyed the winters and she would prefer a Minnesota winter any day to a Phoenix summer with air conditioning.

I was absolutely stunned that people like her exist that actually love Minnesota weather. She went on about how she has relatives and hates Phoenix weather.

I was wondering if people really do like Minnesota winters and actually enjoy that weather? I know they have a very high quality of life but thought many just sort of tolerated the cold winters. I was stunned to hear something say they actually like Minnesota weather.
I agree with her! I'm from the Northeast and really enjoy 4 actual seasons. I don't mind snow or cold. It's part of winter. I'm not thrilled when we get a blizzard, but it means I get to chill out at home....no biggie.

I don't handle the heat well. No way could I live where it's 110 all summer long. I lived in SC for a couple of miserable years. The heat and me just didn't mesh.

Plenty of people who enjoy winter go out in the weather. It's not like it snows every day either. There's varying degrees of cold as well. Many people LOVE to ski and go frequently. There's cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, ice fishing, and other winter activities. There's also a number of winter festivals in many areas. Everyone is different.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:41 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yeah, I've also noticed that heat lovers are usually the most closed-minded and insulting towards climates that don't fit their preferences. They speak of continental and oceanic climates like they're uninhabitable hellholes that no sane human would ever wish to live in.
Whenever I see someone bashing on someone's preferences, or talking about how they don't "get it", nine times out of ten it's a mild/warm lover.

I've done it to to them, but only when they attack/question mine first. They don't like it too much when you do it back to them.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:

I probably spent more of my winter outside in Minnesota than I do in NC. The winter is real winter, meaning you get out and do a lot of winter things. You ski, ice fish, snowmobile, skate, etc...They don't merely tolerate it, they truly embrace it.

I don't mind NC summers and I didn't mind their winters. I could just as easily say, "How can you stand the heat?"

Old 07-06-2017, 01:12 PM

342 posts, read 318,736 times
I haven't lived in either Minnesota nor Arizona, but I would pick Minnesota over Arizona since I enjoy all four seasons. I also enjoy green scenery and lakes.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Kind of a dumb thing to be "shocked" about.

I always love how people from the south consider cities from the north total "Hell Holes" just because of some snow. They are missing out on some nice places to live.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Whenever I see someone bashing on someone's preferences, or talking about how they don't "get it", nine times out of ten it's a mild/warm lover.
We need Kaul back.
Been a long time since the last WWF/CWF feud. That's one thing I don't regret from the older days of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather