Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 01:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Exactly. The 10 rabbits in the small paddock represents a climate with a high sunshine percentage, and the 20 rabbits in the paddock 3X larger represents the the climate with a high actual amount of sun hours. Sunshine is more common in the climate with a high sun percentage, but just like the rabbits in the field, it doesn't mean there is more of it. And no, I like rabbits, don't know why they would bother you so much.
You are much ore likely to see rabbits in a smaller paddock though -what's the use of more rabbits, if you never see them?

I like rabbits, but they cost me money.

Quote:
Daily sunshine totals are not measured in percent, so why should monthly be? You wouldn't say we had 56% sun today, you'd say 8.6 hours (for example). All it does is tell you how cloudy somewhere is and not how sunny it is.
8.6 hours could be a day that has more sun, or more cloud - 56% can only mean only that the day had more sun than cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"much worse than the rest of the world"? but what if those summer temps in other countries are so hot and humid that is ruins the sunshine factor? Sweating just walking a few blocks is not fun.

I spent Thanksgiving in Palm Springs and it was 90F every day and 65F at night and it was perfect. Never sweat once and was in short sleeves and shorts the whole time. Only felt hot in bright sunshine, but that would never be the case here in summer. So, just because a place is sunnier than the UK in summer doesn't mean it is more pleasant or enjoyable.
Worse in terms of recorded sunshine & summer temperatures are cooler than what most people would class as "summer like". Wilko is trying to make out that the UK is sunny, it isn't, even the sunniest little stretch, which really is a tiny stretch, isn't that sunny compared to elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Worse in terms of recorded sunshine & summer temperatures are cooler than what most people would class as "summer like". Wilko is trying to make out that the UK is sunny, it isn't, even the sunniest little stretch, which really is a tiny stretch, isn't that sunny compared to elsewhere.
I am not saying the UK is sunny outside of late Spring/Summer. But like a lot of climates, there is a sunny season, and in the UK this is late Spring/Summer. If there was no sunny season then there would be year-round SAD for some people, which clearly doesn't happen. Anyhow, the sky is much brighter in the summer even on cloudy days.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You are much ore likely to see rabbits in a smaller paddock though -what's the use of more rabbits, if you never see them?

I like rabbits, but they cost me money.

8.6 hours could be a day that has more sun, or more cloud - 56% can only mean only that the day had more sun than cloud.
That's the point - If I am looking for rabbits, I would rather actively go out and search for them rather than taking a walk and hoping for the best. Then I will see more rabbits in total - or sunshine for that matter.

Who is bothered about whether there is more sun or cloud? There was 8.6 hours of sunshine, which seems enough to me.

How do rabbits cost you money?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That's the point - If I am looking for rabbits, I would rather actively go out and search for them rather than taking a walk and hoping for the best. Then I will see more rabbits in total - or sunshine for that matter.

Who is bothered about whether there is more sun or cloud? There was 8.6 hours of sunshine, which seems enough to me.

How do rabbits cost you money?
You will spend much more time in doing so -rabbit spotting can be fun for a while, but I'm sure you would eventually tire of it.

Your standard is 5 hours of sunshine though, not 8.6 hours, and in a 16 hour day, you would want to be able to see the upside to 11 hours of cloud.

Rabbits eat crops.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You will spend much more time in doing so -rabbit spotting can be fun for a while, but I'm sure you would eventually tire of it.

Your standard is 5 hours of sunshine though, not 8.6 hours, and in a 16 hour day, you would want to be able to see the upside to 11 hours of cloud.

Rabbits eat crops.
Exactly. People who prefer climates with high sun percentages and shorter days are simply not prepared to wait out the longer days in climates with higher sun totals. Therefore they would experience less sun.

I want 5 hours of sunshine yes - not bothered about what goes on in the other hours, whether its cloudy or night time, although the more daylight the better, which is why percent sun is stupid because with the same amount of sun, the more daylight hours, the more the percentage decreases. It should not change.

From this I gather you are a farmer, and grow crops. May I ask what % of crops get fed to animals, and what % get sold directly, soon as we are talking about percentages?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:23 PM

201 posts, read 237,541 times
Dallas area.

Many think it is desert. Some think entire Texas is host desert land. But actually it is mostly grassy land with many seasons including couple of months of freezing cold winter.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly. People who prefer climates with high sun percentages and shorter days are simply not prepared to wait out the longer days in climates with higher sun totals. Therefore they would experience less sun.

I want 5 hours of sunshine yes - not bothered about what goes on in the other hours, whether its cloudy or night time, although the more daylight the better, which is why percent sun is stupid because with the same amount of sun, the more daylight hours, the more the percentage decreases. It should not change.

From this I gather you are a farmer, and grow crops. May I ask what % of crops get fed to animals, and what % get sold directly, soon as we are talking about percentages?
You're really just someone who likes longer days, whether it's summer or winter.

I prefer weather than is more sunny than cloudy, regardless of day length.

I'd estimate between insects, birds, rabbits/hares, possums, pigs and the occasional deer, about 30-40 percent losses. Insects are the biggest problem, but the price advantage of selling spray free, about offsets any impact. Weather in the form of big wind and rain events, can be the biggest problem in some years.

I haven't been a full time grower for a while, but a part timer growing for direct sale to the restaurant/market trade -leased out now, and am working on something else.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-08-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 02:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think it's a misunderstood climate, and I still think that it's a crap climate. Just because it's not as cloudy and drab as people say doesn't mean that everyone has to love the climate. Why do you take criticisms of British climates so personally??
I don't, I simply say things like 'the UK is not a grey/rainy as the stereotype' and I start to get a barrage of abuse (usually from people from the other side of the world), I get people telling me I'm wrong (usually people from the other side of the world). I mentioned that the foreign people I work with (and because of the nature of my job I work with many) all say that the weather is nothing like as bad as they expected and I get a barrage of abuse (usually from people from the other side of the world). Most foreign people I work with have commented on the fact that (in the Summer months) West Sussex is really rather a sunny place, so I mentioned it, the summers here are really quite Sunny and pleasant...........and I get a barrage of abuse (usually from people from the other side of the world), I've said that the Winter is the time that Sunshine levels are low here and yet some people on here have even suggested that I'm trying to pass the climate here off as some sort of tropical one!!! Its ridiculous! I use the word 'pleasant' and people start accusing me of suggesting the climate here is 'sensational'!! (somebody else's word NOT mine!). I'm sorry but I answered the original question - The UK climate has a LOT of misconceptions, it is very poorly understood (particularly by 'Johnny foreigner' but sometimes even by us Brits!), I said this because of the experiences I've had with the 'Johnny foreigners' I work with who nearly all have expressed their surprise at the 'British weather'. So I say again - people have an impression that in the UK it is always foggy or rainy and even snowy in the winter - it is not, it does 'vary' from place to place of course but foggy/rainy IS a misconception people have - please note I am not saying the weather here is sensational or tropical or like the Med, I am just saying it is NOT as foggy/rainy as people (Johnny foreigner) thinks it is (as in an answer to the original question) and yes in this part of the UK the Summers are rather Sunny and warm (especially compared to the misconceptions).

http://blog.tripbase.com/6-london-myths-exposed/

https://hubpages.com/education/10-Mo...th-behind-them

http://beyondthequeen.blogspot.co.uk...n-england.html

Just to some examples of 'surprised' people.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:25 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Wilkin, how come you say you want even sunshine distribution, yet need 100% sunshine in winter in Trondheim but only 20% sunshine in the summer? It seems to me that you want much sunnier winters than summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather