Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
But there is no logic in that, you've enjoyed 6 hours of sunshine, now who cares about the rest of the day, whether it is cloudy or dark.

San Francisco for example, has a 91% chance of being sunny in July, but is only sunny 70% of the time during daylight hours.
Because I'm not worried about how many hours of sun there are, but whether the day is mostly sunny, or mostly cloudy. 6 hours of sunlight out of a 16 hour day, isn't much, and would be depressing to me as a long term average.

If your using hours of darkness in S.F's percentages, then it's meaningless to me -although I accept that how cloudy a place is at night, is important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
But there is no logic in that, there is 24 hours of daylight, therefore 25% sun is a high amount. Percent sun doesn't reflect the chance of sunny conditions, so why would you be bothered about it?

Percent sun also rates climates by latitude, which I thought you didn't like doing.

San Francisco for example, has a 91% chance of being clear in July, but is only sunny 70% of the time during daylight hours.
Not sure what you mean by percent sun also rates climates by latitude. Rating climates by latitude is fine, but when comparing to other climates, then latitude isn't particularly relevant.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Because I'm not worried about how many hours of sun there are, but whether the day is mostly sunny, or mostly cloudy. 6 hours of sunlight out of a 16 hour day, isn't much, and would be depressing to me as a long term average.

If your using hours of darkness in S.F's percentages, then it's meaningless to me -although I accept that how cloudy a place is at night, is important to you.
Why are sun hours not important? You can't say a place is sunny if it has 2 hours of sunshine per day just because that's 90% of daylight hours. It's rating climate by latitude, which is like saying New Zealand has cold summers, but only for the latitude.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by percent sun also rates climates by latitude. Rating climates by latitude is fine, but when comparing to other climates, then latitude isn't particularly relevant.
It rates climates by latitude, because having 6 hours of sun is not good for the latitude.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
You can't compare sun totals with distances. Geography of the land affects totals more. I trust the estimates of talented meteorologists over yours. The sun hours are 1921 hours at Bognor, likely increasing along the beach towards Selsey, reaching a maximum amount at the southernmost point, and then decreasing on the western side of that. Also, you cannot compare Southsea to the others as it is based on a different climate period and is likely duller.

You cannot guess Unalaska's sunshine for example.
Erm yes, yes you can That stretch of coast from Portsmouth to Bognor is all flat. And yes the Southsea figures are based on a different 30 year period (the last 30 years the station was open) but it isn't going to be much different, as it isn't far away & as I have said is on flat land. Also you only have to look at the sunshine data from Thorney Island & Southampton to see that it does decrease with distance. Also what you say makes absolutely no sense as Shanklin also only has marginally more hours than Bognor & that is further south still than Selsey...

I would trust actual recorded data over estimated maps & I wouldn't trust anything you have to say as you clearly have very little knowledge about meteorology, which shows in every single post you make.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Why are sun hours not important? You can't say a place is sunny if it has 2 hours of sunshine per day just because that's 90% of daylight hours. It's rating climate by latitude, which is like saying New Zealand has cold summers, but only for the latitude.
I would say the days are sunny if they record 90% of sunshine. If the sun isn't above the horizon, then it doesn't count.

That's fine to say NZ has cold summers for the latitude, but that doesn't mean much when comparing to other climates at other latitudes -The UK might have warm winters for the latitude, but I still think they aren't nice winters.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It rates climates by latitude, because having 6 hours of sun is not good for the latitude.
Latitude isn't important to me, only the ratio of sun to cloud whenever the sun is above the horizon.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I would say the days are sunny if they record 90% of sunshine. If the sun isn't above the horizon, then it doesn't count.

That's fine to say NZ has cold summers for the latitude, but that doesn't mean much when comparing to other climates at other latitudes -The UK might have warm winters for the latitude, but I still think they aren't nice winters.
See that's why it's silly because it doesn't count if the sun is not above the horizon. To say that 2 hours is sunny and then 6 hours is not, is completely inconsistent.

I can't see why you haven't seen the point already and at this point I'm getting fed up so I'm going to use an extreme example - The North and South Poles both record 100% of maximum possible sunshine during their winters, and supposedly you think this is sunny.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Latitude isn't important to me, only the ratio of sun to cloud whenever the sun is above the horizon.
Why only when the sun is above the horizon? Darkness is basically like cloudiness but much worse.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:55 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
1st time to SFO in August. Was freezing cold, maybe 57 degrees and grey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather