Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is best?
Sunny Selsey 15 26.32%
Cloudy Kinlochewe 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,545,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
By the way that's a shade temperature, it was much hotter in the sun and the sand on the beach was scorching.
Oh, I always thought thermometers lie in the sun. But if that thermometer showing 25'C was in the shade like you say, the actual temperature must've been like 40'C! Wow! That's a scorcher. That's like as warm as parts of the Sahara!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:44 AM

1,218 posts, read 688,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Oh, I always thought thermometers lie in the sun. But if that thermometer showing 25'C was in the shade like you say, the actual temperature must've been like 40'C! Wow! That's a scorcher. That's like as warm as parts of the Sahara!
I've never been to the Sahara, but it was still very hot based on what I've experienced

Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
I wouldn't consider a climate 900 km from the UK mainland in the use of any debates, because they aren't climates 900 km from the UK that are considered part of the UK. Campbell Island isn't just an overseas territory - its part of New Zealand just like the Scilly Isles are part of the UK.

Yes the copious amounts are actually only that I'd had over 50 mm in just a few days - more than since the 1st October. It's very noticeable as we've been having less rain the normal for a long time, since July 2016 in fact. There have been several months with under 30 mm of rain and some under 20 mm.

With official figures from Wikipedia, Motueka annual sun (2385 hours) - Invercargill annual sun (1682.2 hours) = 702.8 hours difference. Can't use estimated amounts, at least that's what I've been told with Selsey.

According to wikipedia, Invercargill averages a 14.3°C, while Motueka averages 17.4°C. London averages 15.2°C at Heathrow.
These figures are a fabrication - the temperatures are for Nelson (although not entirely accurate), the rainfall looks similar to Nelson's (although not entirely accurate). Nelson only has 93 days>1mm. Nelson's sunshine hours are 2473 hours.

Motueka has annual min/max of 6.8C/18.4C. Motueka gets around 1450mm of rainfall on 100 days. It hasn't had a sunshine recorder since the late 1980s, but the old system had it at 24 hours less sunny than Nelson.

You can use an estimate for Selsey -but it needs to be put into the correct context. There are strong indications that the replacement of a new type of sunshine recorder has produced results inconsistent with previous longer periods of recording, which used a standardized method with great scientific scrutiny. The departure from previous normals can be in both directions -Invercargill is one of those stations. -I going to use estimated figures of 2450 hours for Motueka, and 1580 hours for Invercargill -for an difference of 868 hours

No argument about Campbell island, it's a rubbish climate, but I just don't see it, or Raoul Island as having much use in NZ climate debate.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
These figures are a fabrication - the temperatures are for Nelson (although not entirely accurate), the rainfall looks similar to Nelson's (although not entirely accurate). Nelson only has 93 days>1mm. Nelson's sunshine hours are 2473 hours.

Motueka has annual min/max of 6.8C/18.4C. Motueka gets around 1450mm of rainfall on 100 days. It hasn't had a sunshine recorder since the late 1980s, but the old system had it at 24 hours less sunny than Nelson.

You can use an estimate for Selsey -but it needs to be put into the correct context. There are strong indications that the replacement of a new type of sunshine recorder has produced results inconsistent with previous longer periods of recording, which used a standardized method with great scientific scrutiny. The departure from previous normals can be in both directions -Invercargill is one of those stations. -I going to use estimated figures of 2450 hours for Motueka, and 1580 hours for Invercargill -for an difference of 868 hours

No argument about Campbell island, it's a rubbish climate, but I just don't see it, or Raoul Island as having much use in NZ climate debate.
Still though, that means there is less difference in sun hours between Motueka and Invercargill than there is between Selsey and Kinlochewe - and yet you say the UK has poor variation?

Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Still though, that means there is less difference in sun hours between Motueka and Invercargill than there is between Selsey and Kinlochewe - and yet you say the UK has poor variation?
Kinlochewe has obstruction issues, and Selsey is only a maybe, perhaps, possibly scenario. Using more credible statistics, I'm guessing the variation beween the two would be around 820 hours.

I look at climate overall, rather than just a particular facet such as sunshine. NZ has greater differences in temperature, rainfall, sunshine than the UK, yet I only see NZ as having modest differences in overall climates (excluding mountains), so I certainly don't see the UK as having big differences in it's climate.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Kinlochewe has obstruction issues, and Selsey is only a maybe, perhaps, possibly scenario. Using more credible statistics, I'm guessing the variation beween the two would be around 820 hours.

I look at climate overall, rather than just a particular facet such as sunshine. NZ has greater differences in temperature, rainfall, sunshine than the UK, yet I only see NZ as having modest differences in overall climates (excluding mountains), so I certainly don't see the UK as having big differences in it's climate.
Just whittle down Selsey a bit and increase Kinlochewe a bit just so the variation is less. Admit that there is more variation with sunshine between Selsey and Kinlochewe than there is between Motueka and Invercargill

Old 12-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Just whittle down Selsey a bit and increase Kinlochewe a bit just so the variation is less. Admit that there is more variation with sunshine between Selsey and Kinlochewe than there is between Motueka and Invercargill
An 1100 hour total seems more credible for Kinlochewe, and Selsey doesn't have a history of recording sunshine.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
An 1100 hour total seems more credible for Kinlochewe, and Selsey doesn't have a history of recording sunshine.
Well its OFFICIAL total is 898 hours, soon as you like official readings. The Met Office fully accepts this figure, as well as Ben Nevis with 746 hours. Even if Selsey isn't 1997.9 hours, Bognor Regis has 1920.8 hours and Shanklin, IoW 1923 hours.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well its OFFICIAL total is 898 hours, soon as you like official readings. The Met Office fully accepts this figure, as well as Ben Nevis with 746 hours. Even if Selsey isn't 1997.9 hours, Bognor Regis has 1920.8 hours and Shanklin, IoW 1923 hours.

My issue with Selsey isn't that it's not an official recording, but not a recording at all.

So there isn't an obstruction issue with Kinlochewe then?

Ben Nevis is a mountain, and if you want to include mountains, then NZ has cloudy mountains, with the southwest corner estimated at 1000-1100 hours. -that would give a possible 1400+ hour difference.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
My issue with Selsey isn't that it's not an official recording, but not a recording at all.

So there isn't an obstruction issue with Kinlochewe then?

Ben Nevis is a mountain, and if you want to include mountains, then NZ has cloudy mountains, with the southwest corner estimated at 1000-1000 hours. -that would give a possible 1400+ hour difference.
Kinlochewe does have shade from mountains. But nevertheless the Highlands of Scotland are the cloudiest place in the UK, so it does seem likely. Especially that May total - 152.2 hours even with the sun high in the sky and out of the way of the mountains. May is quite sunny in Scotland, but Kinlochewe's total stil makes up 17% of its annual - far higher than any of the other months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather