Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 10:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
You just said you don't care whether the summer is cool or warm:
What I mean, is if the winter doesn't stay sufficiently warm , then a place won't have a subtropical environment regardless of how hot the summer is -like Toronto

Quote:
The only criteria you seem to have for subtropical is if there is plant growth and insect activity in the cooler months. Your criteria do not seem to incorporate what happens the rest of the year.
What happens during the winter, determines what the environment is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's not my assertion that Lake Charles isn't subtropical, or that deciduous vegetation doesn't equal subtropical environments -loads of deciduous trees around here, but they thrive alongside other trees that are actively growing/flowering/producing fruit, during winter.

Nice bird photos.

This is Natchez MS, quite a bit cooler than Lake Charles, but once you get in the hills above the Mississippi River floodplain, deciduous trees no longer dominate.

Very cool Civil War era historic town. I saw some old friendly southern folks doing a garden tour, and told them how pretty I thought their town was, and the older gentleman in a very thick southern accent said to me: "Well your General Grant thought the town pretty enough to be spared from the Union Army". Rather awkward moment as "my General Grant" was a clear reference to my Philly background. The Civil War is never mentioned in the north, but down there it sure is. They don't forget lol. For the record, General Grant was a US Army General trying to put down a treasonous rebellion.

I saw many insects flying around on this nice day of Feb 10 2017.

Is this alive enough for you lol?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 AM

855 posts, read 773,197 times
You can be subtropical without a hot summer (San Francisco, parts of New Zealand,coastal Morocco and Portugal, highland tropics, etc.) You can’t be subtropical with a very cold winter with no plant growth.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
You can be subtropical without a hot summer (San Francisco, parts of New Zealand,coastal Morocco and Portugal, highland tropics, etc.) You can’t be subtropical with a very cold winter with no plant growth.

That is why I don't view Washington DC as subtropical.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Perhaps that's why most of Texas' vegetation is the way it is which is quite distinctive from states further east.
East Texas has many of the same species that occur in Southern states farther east. Loblolly pines, southern magnolias, etc.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,068 times
In general, many evergreens of wet climates are adapted for low pH soils, and end up developing chlorosis when grown in soil with a pH that is too alkaline (which prevents nutrient uptake through the roots). Alkaline soil is responsible for the deciduousness in places like OKC and Louisiana's river valleys compared to areas farther east, which have more acidic soil derived from the Appalachians.

As far as Lake Charles, the top soil has decent acidity, the issue is that underneath there is heavy claypan that makes it tough for trees to grow in. So many spots there end up as grassland, despite the climate being warm and wet enough to support evergreen subtropical forest. Same goes for parts of SE Texas.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This is Natchez MS, quite a bit cooler than Lake Charles, but once you get in the hills above the Mississippi River floodplain, deciduous trees no longer dominate.

Very cool Civil War era historic town. I saw some old friendly southern folks doing a garden tour, and told them how pretty I thought their town was, and the older gentleman in a very thick southern accent said to me: "Well your General Grant thought the town pretty enough to be spared from the Union Army". Rather awkward moment as "my General Grant" was a clear reference to my Philly background. The Civil War is never mentioned in the north, but down there it sure is. They don't forget lol. For the record, General Grant was a US Army General trying to put down a treasonous rebellion.

I saw many insects flying around on this nice day of Feb 10 2017.

Is this alive enough for you lol?
Nice photos. Yep, that's what I'd call alive, although with the manicured look, it's hard to get a sense of how rampant growth is there - different grasses here will grow several feet of winter for example.

Insects are also part of it, and in what I'd regard as a subtropical environment, many would be both visible and audible during the colder months.

Generals Grant and Lee were both familiar figures during my schooling and childhood -not sure why they are more well known than the leaders of the NZ wars, of the same era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post

That's it in a nutshell - how cold a place gets is more fundamental in shaping an environment, than how hot it gets.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Generals Grant and Lee were both familiar figures during my schooling and childhood -not sure why they are more well known than the leaders of the NZ wars, of the same era.

Did NZ have a war of rebellion at the same time of our civil war? I didn't know that.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Did NZ have a war of rebellion at the same time of our civil war? I didn't know that.
Yep -the NZ Wars (more commonly known as the Maori or Land Wars) was a series of campaigns mostly in the 1860s and 1870s, between the colonial government and Maori. It was started by settlers moving into Maori territory. Terrain and vegetation dictated the style of fighting, with a lot of guerilla type skirmishes.

Technically I guess it was a rebellion, as (most) tribes had ceded sovereignty about 30 years earlier.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM

5,745 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
That's it in a nutshell - how cold a place gets is more fundamental in shaping an environment, than how hot it gets.
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather