Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Milford Sound's climate livable?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Milford Sound is too closed in by mountains imo, and the sandflies are a bit much, I've lived in a place with with about two thirds of Milford's rainfall, and it wasn't an issue -rains tends to be heavy and clear quickly in such places. Soil fertility is typically meant to be low in wet climates, but wasn't an issue where I was.

The diurnal range with high rainfall is pretty standard in NZ, as clear skies generally follow heavy rain - Can find places with 4000mm-5000mm and 11C average range. Not sure what the sunshine hours for Milford are -could be some obstruction possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 02:55 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Milford Sound is too closed in by mountains imo, and the sandflies are a bit much, I've lived in a place with with about two thirds of Milford's rainfall, and it wasn't an issue -rains tends to be heavy and clear quickly in such places. Soil fertility is typically meant to be low in wet climates, but wasn't an issue where I was.

The diurnal range with high rainfall is pretty standard in NZ, as clear skies generally follow heavy rain - Can find places with 4000mm-5000mm and 11C average range. Not sure what the sunshine hours for Milford are -could be some obstruction possibly.
The scenario I have for my thread is if Milford Sound wasn't as closed in by mountains. If there was more room to grow. As for the sandflies, they don't keep away the thousands of visitors.

One interesting thing is that by looking at places on the west coast of NZ's South Island on Tutipempo.net, I noticed that on heavy rain days the temperature tends to stay the same as the average temperature. While in the Pacific Northwest and western Norway on rainy days the temperature is more likely to drop to below the average especially in the warmer season. I wonder why this is so and if this is why clear skies usually follow heavy rain on South Island.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Why not? Quibdo, in Colombia, has over 100k inhabitants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibd%C3%B3#Climate
Quibdo has a much much higher evaporation rate than Milford Sound due to much higher temperatures that more than cancel out the higher rainfall, plus much higher sun angle year round, combined with longer days for 6 months every year

Old 05-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Quibdo has a much much higher evaporation rate than Milford Sound due to much higher temperatures that more than cancel out the higher rainfall, plus much higher sun angle year round, combined with longer days for 6 months every year
This still doesn't change the fact that lots of places in Canada have no easy access to farm land for half the year. Milford Sound might not being to have crops but it's far closer to croplands then Manitoba is from November to April. Yet in Manitoba there's a city with more then 500,00 people.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:42 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
The scenario I have for my thread is if Milford Sound wasn't as closed in by mountains. If there was more room to grow. As for the sandflies, they don't keep away the thousands of visitors.

One interesting thing is that by looking at places on the west coast of NZ's South Island on Tutipempo.net, I noticed that on heavy rain days the temperature tends to stay the same as the average temperature. While in the Pacific Northwest and western Norway on rainy days the temperature is more likely to drop to below the average especially in the warmer season. I wonder why this is so and if this is why clear skies usually follow heavy rain on South Island.
The heavy rainfalls in those western and also some northern locations are associated with northerly quadrant airflows. Nevertheless above average temperatures at Milford and West Coast locales require drier setups. On the east coasts a heavy rain event may not necessarily be followed by clear skies.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:13 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
It's livable as there is plenty of rain and the temperatures aren't that extreme. On the other hand it would be hell to me as there is way too much rainfall and the summers are absolutely pathetic temperature wise.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The heavy rainfalls in those western and also some northern locations are associated with northerly quadrant airflows. Nevertheless above average temperatures at Milford and West Coast locales require drier setups. On the east coasts a heavy rain event may not necessarily be followed by clear skies.
Northely quadrant airflows. Does that mean that winds tend to come from the south and head north in heavy rain days? It seems to me that that would mean that temperatures in heavy rainfall would be below average.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
It's livable as there is plenty of rain and the temperatures aren't that extreme. On the other hand it would be hell to me as there is way too much rainfall and the summers are absolutely pathetic temperature wise.
Lol.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Not much seasonal variation in temperatures, but I do like the cool summers and don't mind the humid rainy climate at all. From the photos , it looks like a beautiful place with a lot of lush greenery and interesting landforms.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
This still doesn't change the fact that lots of places in Canada have no easy access to farm land for half the year. Milford Sound might not being to have crops but it's far closer to croplands then Manitoba is from November to April. Yet in Manitoba there's a city with more then 500,00 people.
And there are also places such as Tiksi which also manages to have 4,556 as of 2016 in a tundra climate, though the population is falling fast. However there are other subarctic climate cities that have very fast growth rates since 2010.

Khanty-Mansiysk: 98,692 | +23.13%
Surgut: 360,590 | +17.58%
Yakutsk: 307,911 | +14.21%
Kogalym: 64,704 | +11.21%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather