Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Milford Sound's climate livable?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times

Advertisements

Say that Milford Sound had enough room for a town of maybe 5000 people. Do you think that the climate would be too much of a turn off for enough people to settle at the tip of Milford Sound?

While Milford Sound has a crazy amount of rain, the temperatures and rain days aren't too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 11:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Say that Milford Sound had enough room for a town of maybe 5000 people. Do you think that the climate would be too much of a turn off for enough people to settle at the tip of Milford Sound?

While Milford Sound has a crazy amount of rain, the temperatures and rain days aren't too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound#Climate
I have to imagine with those temps and that much rain, that the soil is waterlogged, which is not good for crops, so almost all food would have to be imported

Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I have to imagine with those temps and that much rain, that the soil is waterlogged, which is not good for crops, so almost all food would have to be imported
True. But that's not all together different then lots of places. There's plenty of towns that are in thick forests or in deserts that have big challenges in growing crops nearby. Or places with long and cold winters which have the same challenge half the year.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
True. But that's not all together different then lots of places. There's plenty of towns that are in thick forests or in deserts that have big challenges in growing crops nearby. Or places with long and cold winters which have the same challenge half the year.
We are in a desert and have a ton of farming thanks to irrigation. There really isn't an alternative like that for places that are too wet

Old 05-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
We are in a desert and have a ton of farming thanks to irrigation. There really isn't an alternative like that for places that are too wet
But for places that have long and cold winters there's no way for them to farm a good chunk of a year.
Even with irrigation.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
What about greenhouses?

In Mitford Sounds case, I definitely think it's livable. Just look at Tofino, BC or Forks, WA. Similar climate and people live there.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
What about greenhouses?

In Mitford Sounds case, I definitely think it's livable. Just look at Tofino, BC or Forks, WA. Similar climate and people live there.
Not to mention Ketchikan which almost has 10,000 people, and has a average high temperature 3.5c lower then Milford Sound's average high temperature.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Definitely livable in terms of weather. No idea about soil and other factors. Thank goodness though that Milford Sound is in a national park because the last thing a beautiful place like that needs is even more people ruining it.

Diurnal ranges seem somewhat higher than I would have expected. Similar to Oamaru on the "leeward side" even though Oamaru is far drier. I'm sure Joe can enlighten us.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Definitely livable in terms of weather. No idea about soil and other factors. Thank goodness though that Milford Sound is in a national park because the last thing a beautiful place like that needs is even more people ruining it.

Diurnal ranges seem somewhat higher than I would have expected. Similar to Oamaru on the "leeward side" even though Oamaru is far drier. I'm sure Joe can enlighten us.
My question was hypothetical for weather reasons. I wasn't saying that Milford Sound should be settled if there was more room at the tip. Thought considering how popular Milford Sound is I could see quite a few people wanting to live there. It would likely be a tourism based economy.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:31 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Why not? Quibdo, in Colombia, has over 100k inhabitants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibd%C3%B3#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather