Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,730,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I didn't think subtropical-ness was the issue today.
What was your post about then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,534,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What was your post about then?
Just that New Zealand's environment has been rendered unique more because of geologic history than by climate. Nothing to do with it being subtropical or not.

To put it another way, New Zealand's geologic history is very distinct from NW Europe whereas their climates share a lot of features.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Just that New Zealand's environment has been rendered unique more because of geologic history than by climate. Nothing to do with it being subtropical or not.

To put it another way, New Zealand's geologic history is very distinct from NW Europe whereas their climates share a lot of features.
That's pretty obvious, but that's pretty true the world over. All environments are unique.

Features are different to climate though - hence my point about exotic plants. How many jacarandas are there likely to be in Amsterdam?

Last edited by Joe90; 06-22-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,984,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
This thread is a continuation of the discussion in the recent thread Climate cities in the same classification but very distinct in nature? , i.e. Climate cities in the same classification but very distinct in nature?. In the thread many posters objected to the broad classification of Koppen's Cfb climate. Below I will suggest some possible changes to this.

I propose an distinction between different kinds of oceanic climates as follows:

No. of months 13'C or above:

7 or above - Warm oceanic climate (Annual average must be below 17'C)
5-6 - Typical oceanic climate
3-4 - Cool oceanic climate
0-2 - Subpolar oceanic climate (Annual average must be 5'C or above)

If the climate has one or more months with a monthly average of 1'C or lower, it is considered a semi-continental oceanic climate. What do you think?
No. of months 13'C or above:

7 or above - Warm oceanic climate (Hottest month must be below 22'C, annual average below 17'C)
5-6 - Typical oceanic climate
3-4 - Cool oceanic climate
0-2 - Subpolar oceanic climate (Annual average must be 7.5'C or below, winter month above theresold*)

The theresold is W = 3 - 0.4T, where W'C is the minimum winter tempeature and T'C the tempeature of the hottest month.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 AM

765 posts, read 575,492 times
Out of curiosity, what exactly is it about 22C that makes it special for distinguishing between "subtropical" and "oceanic" climates?

Or rather, that separate cool summer climates from warm summer climates.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:14 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,534,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's pretty obvious, but that's pretty true the world over. All environments are unique.

Features are different to climate though - hence my point about exotic plants. How many jacarandas are there likely to be in Amsterdam?
Amsterdam is at latitude 52°N though so that's not really a fair comparison. Do you think somewhere 200 km south of the Auckland Islands could grow jacarandas?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auck...slands#Climate

Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Amsterdam is at latitude 52°N though so that's not really a fair comparison. Do you think somewhere 200 km south of the Auckland Islands could grow jacarandas?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auck...slands#Climate
Fairness isn't a concept that applies to climate, but I think you get my point.

Where Jacarandas will grow depends on climate, not classifications.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,617,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Actually due to island heat London fits into the transitional temperate/subtropical category (Tm>10ºC), but its surroundings (the typical England's countryside) do fit into the C3to, because they fulfil the main requeriments of a Temperate climate (C3t), wich are annual mean btw 3ºC and 10ºC and Pp above 250mm. But then i proposed the subdivisions Temperate continental (C3tc) and Temperate oceanic (C3to), both with their respective requeriments (the latter's mentioned in my previous post). And the one among the two sharing more fulfiled requeriments with a given place, is the actual climate of that place.
The typical southern English countryside has means above 10c, summers are above 15c for pretty much the entire country, and below 1000mm, so that still wouldn't fit.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
Out of curiosity, what exactly is it about 22C that makes it special for distinguishing between "subtropical" and "oceanic" climates?

Or rather, that separate cool summer climates from warm summer climates.
It's just a line in the sand, that isn't objective, but is necessary within a rigid classification system.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:02 PM

795 posts, read 741,217 times
I think there's two major types of Cfb climates: those that are considered subtropical and those that are considered temperate by the Trewartha classification.

Cfb climates with >7 months with an average temperature above 10°C = Subtropical
Cfb climates with 4-7 months with an average temperature above 10°C = Temperate

Last edited by Palider; 06-23-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather