Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Ever notice how criminals always have 3 names ? John Wayne Gacy, Forrest Gordon Clark, etc. Coincidence ? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well If global warming is occurring (which I think it is) it would make forest fires more severe no matter the source of it.
Well looking at the averages past 100 yrs of course its occurring but its not the "cause". The pattern is part of the problem and these patterns happen at any given point in a year or decade no matter the global trend. The Jet stream needs to get squashed down and there's other fundamentals in the atmosphere down stream which would let it. Lack of rain under these ridges is not helping of course.

Quote:
Also the Carr fire in northern California was started by a flat tire, so that one wan also not started naturally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just in the interest of accuracy, the fire started by the man who was just arrested (which is called the Holy Fire; it started about 3 miles from my house), is NOT the same as the "largest fire in California history," which is the Mendocino fire many hundreds of miles to the north. The news headline is very misleading about that.

Good info guys, thanks! So another part of the fires wasn't started naturally. Such a darn shame. And I wonder how many more we don't know about. There isn't a camera on every tree in the forest.

saibot I hope things relax and the air clears for you, that was mighty close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sure, some fires are started by lightning or by genuine accidents like a car fire, but seems like these days, the majority are arson. It's always dry in California by late summer, always has been and always will be. I have a hard time blaming global warming, climate change, or even drought for the increase in fires over the past few years. The main problem is rotten people who get a charge out of burning things up.

Hopefully the word gets out when NOAA or other media sources show a graph of acres burned and blame you know what. Hopefully people understand majority is arson and the rest is just normal.

A normally dry pattern will escalate any fires started intentionally or naturally and being under the heat dome doesn't help either. There is an Upper Level Low barreling into the PacNW this weekend and that will push the ridge aside a bit but still no wet pattern in sight yet.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:48 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ever notice how criminals always have 3 names ? John Wayne Gacy, Forrest Gordon Clark, etc. Coincidence ? I think not.
Using logic, I would say that there is a great chance that some else might have the same first and last names. Adding the middle name takes the chances of an identical match much lower.

I would hate to have the first and last name match a criminal.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
How is arson a weather topic? Lol.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well looking at the averages past 100 yrs of course its occurring but its not the "cause". The pattern is part of the problem and these patterns happen at any given point in a year or decade no matter the global trend. The Jet stream needs to get squashed down and there's other fundamentals in the atmosphere down stream which would let it. Lack of rain under these ridges is not helping of course.
the global trend changes how likely these hot and dry patterns. Hotter and drier it is the faster the fires spread and harder they are to put out. Forest fires are natural there, the forest is meant to burn somewhat regularly. But these intense huge ones are extreme.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
How is arson a weather topic? Lol.

Fires affect weather....weather affects fires.

the Weather Channel always covers fires and the pattern changes they create...

Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. I noticed that too. Funny.
What did you notice? That forrest is spelled forest? What did I miss?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:18 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Well If global warming is occurring (which I think it is) it would make forest fires more severe no matter the source of it. But yes there would also be a lot less forest fires in general if it wasn't for man and his incessant need to start fires, it's as if all those folk tales about dragons burning the land to a crisp was written about us, we are the unnatural mythical fire breathing dragons who wreck havoc on the land.

Also the Carr fire in northern California was started by a flat tire, so that one wan also not started naturally.

The real problem is not the fires. Its people living near fire prone areas.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The real problem is not the fires. Its people living near fire prone areas.
There is a lot of truth to this. As Southern California in particular has become more congested and expensive, more and more housing developments have been pushed up into the hills. These neighborhoods right in the residential-wilderness interface are the ones at most risk when there is a fire, and they are mostly newer and more expensive homes.

This is not ALWAYS the case. The Holy Fire, which started right in my backyard so to speak, burned about a dozen older, historic cabins in a canyon. They were mostly rustic vacation-style cabins and in monetary terms, not a great loss. But this is relatively uncommon; usually it is newer developments with brush coming right up to their back yards that are most at risk. When there were few neighborhoods like this, wildfires were annoying, but not so devastating to people.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
New research found that humans caused 95 percent of all wildfires throughout most of the state since 1910. The rest were caused by lightning strikes, mostly in the rural northeastern corner of the state.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1028754842888667136
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather