Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times

Advertisements

In order

Underrated

1) Seattle - godly summer weather and mild winters for being so far north. Doesn't rain nearly as much as people lead on. Not sure why it gets so much hate on here

2) central valley - specifically, Sacramento to tulare county
Cool mornings for much of the summer, drier heat than phoenix, and low elevation, which helps to reduce sun damage. You can be outside quite a bit during the summer, contrary to popular belief. People try to make it seem like it's always 110 degrees in the summer for some reason. Some winters don't require you using your heater.
Oh yeah, godly spring weather!

3) Albuquerque - it's like Denver, but nicer ;p

4) El paso - best weather in Texas, but nobody talks about it.

5) Ashland, Oregon - it's like medford, but with nicer Summers. Really nice weather for the pnw.

Honorable mentions to Atlanta and Reno for most underrated.

Overrated list(in no order)

San Francisco - not enough variety and too much fog
Texas triangle
Orlando
Colorado
Desert southwest - more humid than people realize. Your skin will peel off if you stay outside long enough.

Make your list(s) however you want
Hf

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-10-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Overrated in my opinion: Any place that has 4 defined seasons.

Underrated in my opinion: Most Tropical climates

Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Well the New England/New York climate if it keeps up with this 2018 year is an EXTREMELY overrated climate

The seasons are
1. Endless Rain/sleet/slush (nov-April 30th)

2. Showery/flowery/pollen/a handful of lucky sunny weeks grab while you can...do anything
May-June

3. Extreme humidity and heat identical to tropical summer : July August

4. endless rain and post-tropical storms: September-October 31

Enjoy

Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Underrated:

Sierra Vista, Arizona: High temperatures in the 60s in the winter but upper 80s and low 90s in the summer. Lots of summer rain the afternoon and evening to cool things off. Great spring and fall weather.

Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX: High temperatures in the winter in the upper 50s on average. Comfortable Spring and Fall. Not too hot in the summer with High Temperatures in the mid 90s but they get lots of breaks due to the frequent right-falls.

Lubbock, TX and Midland, TX also have very good weather in my opinion. Relatively mild and short winters and summer humidity is on the low side.

Overrated:

Denver: The weather changes to much in my opinion. The average high in winter is around 45 degrees but they can have several days of single-digits and teens for high temperatures followed by a downslope wind and 70 degrees then the blizzard or more artic cold.

Spring-times are very cool and unsettled. May and Early-June tend to have excellent weather, but March and April are many times snowier than January.

Summer isn't that hot temperature wise. Average highs are around 90 but with the elevation it feels very warm in the intense sun but it tends the evening and nights tend to be very nice.

All and all, Denver has C climate in my opinion. Many people who promote Denver say the weather is some of the best in the country, when it is a C grade climate overall.

California Coastal Areas: I could see why people like it, but for those who don't like a chilly wind much of the year I wouldn't recommend it.

The coasts are perfect for those who like coolness and for anyone who likes warmth, it's really uncomfortable without a jacket.

Especially the winter and spring. Some people who like coolness would enjoy 55 to 60 degrees with a cold, wet wind but I personally think it is very uncomfortable.

They get gloom into the summer where the temperatures will be in the low 60s on the coast at noon with strong, chilly winds and clouds.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Underrated:

1. Marquette, MI-Comfortable summers moderated by Lake Superior, relatively long spring/autumn with autumn colours that rival New England, and snowy winters.

2. Watertown, NY-Gradual transitions between seasons with evenly distributed rainfall throughout the year. Winters are snowy and summers are some of the more comfortable ones with average temperatures in the mid-70's.

3. Elkins, WV-Its high elevation helps to moderate the climate. 4 distinct seasons with much milder winters and warmer summers, autumns and springs.

4. Anchorage, AK-One of the better Dfc climates in the US IMO.

Overrated:

1. Los Angeles-With average annual rainfall around a foot a year, far too dry. Very little rainfall + little temperature variation. Meh.

2. Desert SW locations-The desert is pretty comfortable at night and especially in the winter but holy hell, that unrelenting sun and heat will fry you during the LOOONG summer!

3. New York City-Horrid sub-tropical like summer temperatures with an almost non-existent autumn.

Okay these are just my opinions and yours may differ No offense intended.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 PM

113 posts, read 77,842 times
Underrated: Seattle, anywhere else in the PNW west of the Cascades, Panhandle of Alaska (Ketchikan and Sitka, less so Juneau), and Cape Cod (Exceptionally mild for being on the East coast, decent sunshine).

Overrated: Hawaii, South Florida, the desert Southwest, and coastal Southern California (I don't like the constant warmth and the dryness).

Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 PM

855 posts, read 771,190 times
The most underrated climate in the U.S.: The Willamette Valley and Umpqua River Valley in Oregon. Perfect dry, sunny summers that are warm but rarely excessively hot and never humid. Beautiful golden falls that feel like "Indian summer." Winters that are mild and green. Springs that are green and lush, but with enough sunshine/warmth.

The most overrated climate in the U.S. is...: Coastal Southern California. It was never great..too monotonous, lacking in seasons. But it has gotten worse over time, and will continue to with global warming. Drought, wildfires, Santa Ana winds, monotony.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekul565 View Post
Underrated: Seattle, anywhere else in the PNW west of the Cascades, Panhandle of Alaska (Ketchikan and Sitka, less so Juneau),.
Why the lower rating for Juneau-winter conditions? It's just a bit colder than the other two so more ice and snow, otherwise very similar.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:03 PM

50 posts, read 39,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Overrated list(in no order)

San Francisco - not enough variety and too much fog
Texas triangle
Orlando
Colorado
Desert southwest - more humid than people realize. Your skin will peel off if you stay outside long enough.

Make your list(s) however you want
Hf
I wouldn't say TX Triangle and Orlando are overrated. Many constantly complain about the humidity in those places.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM

113 posts, read 77,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Why the lower rating for Juneau-winter conditions? It's just a bit colder than the other two so more ice and snow, otherwise very similar.
Well, it is about 8 degrees colder in the winter, which I would consider significant. Anyways, I wouldn't consider these Alaskan climates anywhere near good, it's just that Alaska is usually thought of as very cold and continental by a lot of people, in contrast to the relatively mild panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather