Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 4 11.11%
B 4 11.11%
C 6 16.67%
D 10 27.78%
E 7 19.44%
F 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 10:58 PM

650 posts, read 449,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
E only for the decent snow and sunshine numbers.

But the difference btw both stations isn't crazy (just 1.6ºC). The UHI effect makes the readings more representative of the city's climate than in an airport.
I was doing some data collection on a site, since I am able to easily get Canadian weather data from there (in Fahrenheit though) and decided to see the data for 2004-2022 for a bunch of cities in Canada as I lived in a place that had a weather station that started in 2004 and wanted to see how it compared to other known cold cities.

Anyways, I collected data for both Edmonton stations and their yearly lows are much different.

A difference of 2C in mean temperatures between the two, and the low temperatures being very different year round. The summer nights at Leduc airport are just pitiful, while downtown it's somewhat reliably warm.

Then you have the fact that -40 air temps are very possible at Leduc airport while downtown it hasn't happened in that time span. In fact, downtown's record low is higher than Leduc's mean minimum.

Sorry for bumping, but didn't know where else to put these stats.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate the Climate: Edmonton, Alberta-edmonton-municipal-2004-2022.png   Rate the Climate: Edmonton, Alberta-edmonton-international-aiport-2004-2022.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 03:35 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
I'd give it an E and place it in the second from worst tier, with F reserved for the worst of the worst like Norilsk etc. Much too cold.

I've never been to Edmonton but I did go to Calgary in early September and it was already getting chilly.

Old 04-21-2023, 04:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
C. Make it 5-6C warmer in all months and keep the snowfall from November to April (perhaps a bit occasionally in May or October) and it would get an A. Reducing the April-October diurnal range to 9-11C would be good too.
Precipitation may or may not need to be altered for the A criteria. Low precipitation on its own is of no consequence to me, but I like seeing lush and green outdoors on my walks in the warmer months, and I don't know if the increased evapotranspiration from the temperature increase will preclude that or not.

In other words, I would change this to Toronto's climate (except maybe the precipitation). I like Dfb climates (even if close to Dfa), but Edmonton is just too cool/cold in all months to be my ideal Dfb.

Here are some 1991-2020 normals for Edmonton (airport) that Ed's Mountain made.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:30 AM

419 posts, read 220,457 times
D. Gets a little cold for my liking, has a wet season and dry season (I would rather widespread rain), too dry considering the colder climate, Summers are too mild with random heat waves. Not the worst climate though.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:50 PM

465 posts, read 405,002 times
It's a lot like a colder version of Denver. Summer nights are ok at the downtown station, but too chilly for me at the airport. It would be tough to grow tomatoes with freezes possible in July.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:56 PM

83 posts, read 69,146 times
D. Winters are a little too long and cold and summers are little on the cool side. However, precipitation isn't excessive like in Quebec, so the winters are not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather